I think it's just the culture we live in. I seem to recall that you and your family stayed on the French side for this trip. The beaches may be less restrictive than the beaches where you live in the states, I know they are much less restrictive than here in Florida.

Having said that, the Dutch side is much like the USA in that "European" or topless for women is frowned upon.

The reason I bring up your accommodations on this trip was for comparative purposes. When you were at your vacation rental unit, you and your family may have felt less inhibitions and were comfortable in various states of undress. That didn't continue outside until you got to the beach(es) where the norm of the culture is European or clothing optional. When we were on the island last year, it was just my wife and I and we always nude in the condo but once we were going out we got dressed. As I said before that trip was the first time we had tried public nudity and it was something that we both enjoyed. Having said that, now that we are back home, other than getting dressed or showering, we are always clothed in the house. (We also have a house guest-my older sister that we rescued from an abusive relationship).

I really agree with Alexander in that the USA viewpoint on nudity is lame and there should be clothing optional areas at EVERY beach in the states.

[Linked Image]