Originally Posted by Javelin

The one thing that I didn’t care for is that they disconnect the chart plotter and autopilot. I can’t understand the reasoning for removing a layer of situational awareness.

Huh? I don't understand why they would do that, I guess they don't want you relying on electronics? As a sailor you need to be able to sail hands on and read a chart, but like you said having another layer to compare gives you that much more data and confidence in what you are seeing. As a bare boat sailor I am short handed and at times solo, having autopilot and chart plotter come in very handy when trimming sail or not having to look at a chart that's blowing around with one hand on the wheel. Our last charter with Moorings, the autopilot wouldn't stay engaged so no auto, which I don't mind so much as you get a good feel and response for your boat, but still popping on auto to crack a beer and relax for a few is really nice.
Now that the kids are older I actually have a full crew for our next charter and can delegate some of the responsibilities, that's if they still want to go now that they are older smile