I would suggest that the BVI you remember is more aligned with the post-Irma BVI that exists today. Up until Feb 2018, I was fed up with the long waits at Full Moon Party bars (at Trellis) and decided I had had enough FMPs. I sailed in Feb 2018 (a couple months after Irma) and I could get a drink after only a couple minutes in a line up at the FMP.

In 2015, on a guy's trip we dedicated two nights (one at start of trip and 1 at the end) at the Bight (because of the popularity of Willy T's). In both of those instances, ALL of the Bight Mooring Balls (between 75 & 100 we were told) were in use by late afternoon. In Feb 2019, I was on a 3 boat flotilla and we arrived at the Bight after 330PM and we all got MBs. Of course the fact that Willy T's is no longer there would have played a role in that.

My point is the BVIs has not completely recovered from Irma and perhaps people are going elsewhere to sail (I, for one, am going to the Grenadines next February and, truth be told, I'm mixed about not going to the BVIs). As some others on this board have mentioned, the nickel and dime approach of the government (particularly in the area of fees and taxes) is slowly killing the golden goose that sailing has brought the islands.

But if you get off the beaten path and away from the main anchorages, you will find plenty of places to drop the hook. Popular places bring boats and these days those places need mooring balls (and in some cases, they need more!).

I might also say there is a bit of an upside to the overall popularity. Again comparing the planning of a BVI trip to our recent experience booking a boat in the Grenadines, the BVIs has more charter companies, larger fleets, better options for those with different sailing budgets and easier access by air making it a better travel experience than other parts of the Caribbean. But all those options is bringing about the by-product (more people) that started the OP's thread.

D