First, an introduction:

As I'm sure Carol can attest, I'm one of those many people that "lurk a lot, post little". Over the many years on TTOL I've gleaned a significant amount of information from this forum. I post little, but because I have little to add.

My wife and I have owned sailboats for 25+ years. Sailed the Caribbean since the late '90's. Know our way around the back roads and some of the old names and faces: some still here, some not.

Because of a mother nature (lightning strike on our boat) issue, we've been away from the BVI's for a couple of years and are looking to return. We've kept track of the recovery from Hurricane Irma and even donated to the recovery. But, we are ready to visit again.

Yes, we were around when Billy Bones went away (still have the T Shirts, kids remember the crab races out back) and were not a fan of the high-end Pirate's Bight. Stayed at Tamarind Club several times and remember the kids helped shoo away the cows in the evening (and the resident cat that did not like me). Those days ended and it was sad. However, reading through so many posts and current trip reports, our concern about returning is increased with every comment.

This Boaty Ball situation sounds absolutely insane - yet not unexpected for the way the few control the many in the islands.

Arriving. Provisioning. Heading out the first day. All are full of tips/tricks/preferences that can be interesting and fun. But, from then on out having to "adjust to the new way" with BB seems to both bring the stress many of us are trying to leave behind and completely defeat the purpose of the visiting adventure.

The mid-afternoon battle for the last mooring ball is a right of passage and an adventure. People sit on their boats solely for the entertainment. Being able to pick up a ball mid-day to eat lunch or fill tanks and head to the next stop is important. Watching the boat boy come around to grab your soggy dollars (sorry had to do that) and then keeping the receipts, of which we have many, is a joy.

Now? Download an app. Get Wifi. Peck around on your phone and plan. Fight over who gets the ball. And, as the BB people say "accommodate", is insane.

We come to the islands to get away from apps, internet, scheduling, coordinating, fighting....and BB has introduced it to paradise.

Someone convince me that progress like this is good.

-Carib Guy

Capt D (Caribguy)
s/v Mollie Jean
"When I go to heaven, I want to go from the islands..it's closer"