Anonymous said:
We have loved St. Vincent charters twice. We have also chartered out of St. Lucia a number of times. Our more than 50 charters started with CSY during 1980 on Roatan. In the 80’s BVI chartering was called amateur hour by many. Today many enjoy the credit card captain labeling…. Easy 3 mile protected sailing/motoring between beach bars. 1000 heavily marketed bareboats in a very competitive market.
St. Vincent and the Grenadines are different. Just a few boats that are mostly older and more worn. Starting with check in at Barefoot you are more on your own. The boat may be on a mooring when you get there. Major steps from the cab to the dock and the dingy ride usually in the dark to the sleep aboard. Some of the boats are a long way from home and well worn after years of charter and Caribbean sun. There is a lot more real sailing. Every day is three or more Anegada’s if you move the boat at all? We generally move the boat one day and stay put the next out of St. Vincent. In the BVI we might move the boat twice a day? We loved it and went back!
The only reason we would ever go back to the BVI is the boats are better and nicer and everything is just easier. Some BVI crews may be spoiled? We have not made it to St, Vincent since TMM opened. Our experience is no bareboat operations from Maine to Europe compare with the BVI operations TMM, Voyage, The Moorings and a few others run on Tortola. After two charters of the most costly boats on Barefoot’s menu we shifted to The Moorings on St, Lucia in search of newer boats coupled with better air travel options. If I were booking a trip today I would look at the boats available both places coupled with the air options. I would also try to understand the current condition of the boats available. Not all charter boats of the same model or year are equal once you leave the BVI!
We will go back as soon as we can for the real sailing, adventure, and interesting people. If Willy T’s and The Soggy Dollar is what you are looking for you may want to stick with the BVI. If chase boats and backup boats in the fleet are important to your crew you may want to stay in the BVI. My experience is the sailing is more exhilarating and the shore time is much quieter and sometimes of better quality every inch you get further away from St. Thomas? Those that think Anegada is an adventure may not be ready for this trip.

when we were last in Grenadines, there was no government rescue service to call and no sea tow services either.
we also had mechanical problems, auto pilot broke, and engine drive shaft went missing causing a big leak (bilge pump was inoperative).

Last edited by sailn; 08/07/2013 08:31 AM.