It’s unfortunate but this was doomed from the start. The politicians and I don’t blame them wanted to keep the islands free of Covid. They needed the tourist revenue and unfortunately their opening coincided with the worst stage of the pandemic nearly everywhere. There is no way you can accomplish both even if you don’t have knuckleheads involved breaking quarantine. If you have this much Covid around and it’s that contagious you are going to introduce it even being careful.

I realize people are anxious to vacation and prices are great but as cases rise and they will, the rules will be more onerous, the local population less eager for tourists to visit if there is community spread. There will likely be more bad press like the college kid in the Caymans they locked up for four months or the two old couples the BVI held for ransom and finally decided they were losing the war of the press.

The fact the USVI is sort of open, I’m sure the BVI envies that revenue. But the USVI has decided for now to just go with it. I see there have been 273 cases in the two weeks up to Dec 15. The CDC calls the USVI a level 4 and recommends you don’t travel there (and don’t bring ‘rona back with you). I doubt very seriously that the bvi opens up ferry service in mid january given those case numbers.

It can’t be both no cases in the population and significant tourism right now with Covid red hot most places. Hopefully in another month these really high levels will plateau and start down as all spikes have before. Hopefully not long after there will be more vaccine available . Some were talking today on tv they thought April the vaccine protocols in the states would be down to anyone who wants it. If the most vulnerable in the bvi has then been vaccinated with vaccine for rest of population coming soon after, travel will be safe. That will allow the economy to open up and be welcoming tourists, not monitoring them with bracelets or feel the need for punitive fines or incarceration based on movements after arrival.

Although the few from this group have all enjoyed their trips I suspect it’s not for everyone, such as myself. Cant wait till this is over and can enjoy that sun and sand. Meanwhile I’ll keep workin on how to outsmart those trout.