We bought our condo here about 15 years ago. We did open a bank account (checking) and to the best of my knowledge, only needed a letter from our bank in the U.S. saying that we, in essence, were members in good standing. Our account is with WIB and wasn't too much of a hassle to get. It's that when someone just of the boat--so to speak--tries to open one, they need to know about the letter from a bank in the U.S. ahead of time. Most don't, so it holds up the process a little. That may have changed since then. I stand behind Elaine in saying that the customer service is just ok but not what I would call great. We set up our account primarily for having our GEBE bills (Gas and Electric) taken out automatically each month. It saves worry about not getting them paid on time. Each time we are here, we deposit enough money to take care of the bills until the next time we will be here. Luckily we had enough to keep us ok during the last year when we couldn't be here.

Depending on what you are buying, bringing your own guy from the States might be a good idea. It depends on who designed/built your condo units and how well it was done. The condo complex we bought at has had a few issues with electricity, and that is why I would say if you can afford to bring someone--I would.

A fair amount of people who bought in our complex did bring a lot of things in--including furniture-- that they had shipped from wherever, to the port of Miami and sent it here through a few different shipping companies. We happen to use Caribe Trans and have never had a problem. But having said that we didn't send any furniture. We ship from Amazon to Miami now and then, because sometimes the cost of the product and shipping charges are less than what it costs to buy it here.

On the whole, we have had a good experience. We met people who are now very good friends. We do not regret our decision to buy and are still happily enjoying the times we spend on the island.

Hope this helps.