I see a lot of comments laying blame on the BVI government for ruining people's vacations. Please realize that the Moorings definitely should receive at least 1/2 of the blame if not more. Skirting of safety requirements has been going on in the BVI for more than a decade (since the time that the BVI government decided that all charter boats should follow the MCA small commercial vessel code.)

Specifically, safety gear is purchased for one vessel, inspectors board, look around and the vessel passes inspection. The following day, all the safety gear from vessel number #1 is taken from vessel #1 and placed on vessel #2. Vessel #2 then passes inspection, but vessel #2 has no safety gear when you show up for your charter.

They choose on a regular basis to put your safety in jeopardy to save a few bucks, then blame the BVI government for their unsafe business practices.

And this is not just a BVI issue. I just chartered with the Moorings in the Exumas and the boat was presented to me with 2 type 1 PFD's for 6 people. They told us that they didn't have any more... It should be embarrassing for them, but it's not. When I asked why the didn't have life jackets, they just stared blankly. Luckily I was able to borrow 4 from a friend who is cruising the Bahamas.

I hope you all are able to get on a boat when you show up for your charter. I hope you get the boat you reserved. I hope it has safety gear and is in good working order.

Please know if it isn't, the Moorings chose to do this to you. And they will give you the old bait and switch when you are standing on the dock wondering what happened to your dream vacation.