Hello. We are considering spending a week in Tortola next March, and we'd like to spend a day at Smugglers beach, but we will have a rental car, and I’m reading it’s an unpaved road. Is this a problem with the rental car contract? They usually say no off-pavement? How tough is it to drive that road to Smugglers?

Also, how tough is it to drive around Tortola? I’m reading that can be pretty intimidating. Our first time driving on the left-hand side of the road will be in Antigua this year, other than that we have never done it. Will probably be staying mostly in the west, likely at Cane Gardens Bay though are still considering Long Bay Beach resort. We will have to drive to and from the airport unless we taxi and rent a car on the west side. We will also drive to the ferry locations for Virgin Gorda and Jost van Dyke and to Sage Mountain preserve one day. How will the driving be if those locations are our main focus? Are there any practical ways of avoiding the most intimidating roads? Also, I keep hearing about "the Elevator". What is this and do we have to drive it on any of our routes? Thanks so much again.