We are spending hurricane season in Grenada. Our boat was with the TMM fleet for a couple of years until we took it out of charter during COVID. We now live aboard and have been in Grenada since July. Grenada’s southern bays are a real crossroads for cruisers as many insurance policies require boats to be below 12 Degrees North during Atlantic storm season. There are literally hundreds, perhaps close to a thousand cruising sailboats here.

On the shopping buses, in the cruisers’ bars, at the fish market, one hears cruisers discussing future cruising itineraries. Consistently cruisers warn other cruisers that the BVI, specifically, has become one of the Caribbean’s most unfriendly destinations for full-time cruisers. Yesterday a couple who took their boat out of the Moorings fleet a couple of years ago described a disheartening incident. Upon attempting to checking in at Road Town the Customs officials insisted they were operating a charter boat and would not change their position (we have heard this type story from other cruisers on ex-charter boats). The couple backtracked to the USVI before moving south. Several other cruisers have told stories of the C&I officials in the BVI being highly unreasonable. Quite a contrast to the officials here and the other islands we’ve checked into. Here in Grenada they are very accommodating. A Customs officer here said he has heard many negative stories about his counterparts in the BVI.

My wife and I have visited the BVI approximately 20 times over the years. We would like very much like to go back as full-time cruisers but virtually ever cruiser we encounter advises that the BVI has become strictly a charter destination and cruisers are not welcomed. I must say there has to be some merit to this position because it is almost the universal sentiment with the dozens of cruisers we’ve interacted with. One popular YouTube couple said they are thinking of doing an episode about their experience in Road Town as a general warning to cruisers. What is the view from the BVI?