Boatyball is another reason many cruisers actively avoid the BVI. Most cruisers curse Boatyball with lesser concerns expressed about general mooring fees and limited anchoring. Obviously, Grenada is not the charter destination the BVI is, but mooring fees here are much more affordable. We are currently paying $7.50 US per night for a well-maintained mooring in a desirable (but not touristy) location. Based on most of the conversations I’ve had about the BVI as a cruising destination, the drawbacks for most cruisers are:

1) Problems at C&I, sometimes serious problems, and the feeling that as a cruiser, you nor your boat are welcomed visitors. (Protection of the charter industry?)
2) High mooring fees and diminishing options for anchoring.
3) Generalized high prices
4) There also seems to be a feeling that visitors, whether arriving by sea or air, are less welcomed in the BVI (especially U.S. residents) than on other Caribbean islands.

I knew the BVI was gaining more of a negative reputation, particularly during, and as COVID subsided, but I’ve been surprised by the level of negativity within the cruising community. My wife and I really love the BVI and plan to spend an extended amount of time there again. However, we do feel a bit of dread anticipating some of the hassles others have experienced over the last few years.