beerMe said:
It all depends on the frequencies and protocols the carrier is using and that the device can support. I don't know that cdma is available in the BVIs (except Verizon/Sprint from the USVIs) so the GSM connection is probably your best bet on that device. I do know that on Lime's website they state that 850 mhz provides 3G speeds using hpsa+ which is pretty good. I believe Digicel is using 2100 for UMTS which is 3G but am not sure what level of protocol/speed that includes. So first figure what frequencies the device is capable of and which protocols it supports on that frequency then make sure the carrier matches or exceeds that level of support for the device.

Opps! I meant Digicel's website said they have hspa+ on 850MHz. Reference Digicel 4G Phone Services
I have an email in with Lime asking what protocols they are using on what frequencies and will report back if I am able to get information from them.

World Timezone GSM claims that Lime and Digicel both have 3G in the 2100MHz frequency.

Finally, Wikipedia's list of mobile network operators in the Americas claims that LIme has hpsa+ on 850MHz and Digicel has hpsa+ on 1900MHz.

I will try to contact both companies to see what they say and will report back.

Life involves risks, take some prudent ones (NOT with the BVI ferries)!