Some people do not have unlimited funds to have "options" if they prepaid for a room (or several rooms) and paid for airfare during high season and then found that they had no where to stay. The action was partly injunctive relief to allow people to keep their reservations pending further action. People who were at Caravanserai were being moved in the middle of their stay. If this would have happened when we were there it would have been chaos for our family, as we had brought 20 people to the island, 16 of which were staying at Caravanserai in two sleep 8 penthouses and a one bedroom. It would have been next to impossible to keep our group together and we had children and families that needed to stay together. Whether people feel Alegria had the "right" to do what they did legally, which really is not a decision that can be made without all of the facts, it still does not change the fact that a lot of people had to scramble to salvage their vacations without breaking the bank, and the injunctive action was partially an attempt to help those people.

And what a lot of people are forgetting is that many Caravanserai "owners" did not even know about what was happening at Caravanserai/Alegria (some STILL may not know) as the notice given was appallingly deficient. The only notice given was an email that vaguely referenced "timeshares ownership" and was titled "Alegria" and did not mention "Caravanserai" in the heading at all. Had I not know that Alegria was the new name of Caravanserai because Marty had told me, I would have thought the email was another "get rid of your timeshare" spam email and never opened it. Many people never saw the email and showed up in SXM oblivious to what was taking place. A lot of people who go to SXM do not visit travel sites like TTOL and get info about whats going on. This is especially true of people who used their usual unit at the same time every year and had no reason to suspect things had changed. But it also was true if they booked through RCI, because RCI did not notify us of any change to our RCI reservations until January of 2015 and were not notifying other Caravanserai owners either because (according to RCI reps I talked to at length) they were as confused about what was going on as the rest of us.

Last edited by mecs; 02/23/2015 09:41 AM.