I had hoped to try out a couple of cellular wifi devices while we were in the BVI and report back on how Digicel and Lime compared as far as signal strength in different locations. Well, BVIYC told me they were closed on Sunday so I didn't get to try that. Anyone know if either is open on Sunday or not?

Since we were going to be spending some time in the BVI, USVI and SVI I did get a chance to try several locations and see what signal we got from ATT. We got 3 bars or better in Great Harbor, Peter Island, at the Byte, about half way up while in Sir Francis Drake channel, from about 1 mile NE of JVD, in Great Harbor, JVD and in Sopers and Lenister Bay and St. Francis Bay.

We got 4 bars or better off of St. Thomas, behind Water Island, Culebra, Culebrita and Sun Bay on Vieques.

It seemed to get an extra bar by putting the device in a bag and hoisting it up with the flag and in one place it didn't get a signal until I did that.

The device was a ATT Unite-Pro (Netgear Aircard 781S), I like this one because it has a huge battery, nice user interface and can even send/receive messages. The unlocked version was $89 and I added 5 Gigs for $50. The price for two weeks from BVIYC would have been $250 (but that would have covered the BVI).

I really enjoy having this to check weather, email, flight status and generally keeping up with the world. The only downsides might be if you have someone aboard who's addicted to the internet (they become non-present) and you have to limit the amount of video/apps that sync large files, like photos, to the cloud or you'll be using a lot of data quick.

Hope this was somewhat useful to someone.

Life involves risks, take some prudent ones (NOT with the BVI ferries)!