christianb said:
I'd like to try being some help since I did some research on LTE/4G frequencies before I last entered the US (I'm from Europe). The ATT Unite Mifi can handle 3G speed in the areas we're talking about - of course if it's not SIM locked. Talking of highspeed (LTE/4G) it's far more complicated but as far as I know right now the BVI does not have real LTE/4G. What they offer (afaik) is really optimized 3G. They should have some real LTE in the first half of 2016.

Then, you would need not only a unlocked MIFI - you need to have one with the right 4G bands. The Unite Mifi uses 4G bands: 2,4,5,17 - for example in Antigua&Barbuda Digicel uses Band 17 while Lime is on Band 4.

To wrap up my first lines: For the trip to US I ended up buying an used unlocked AT&T Unite Mifi for 25$ since my european Mifi lacked the nec. bands... Complicated world.

Thanks for adding that. I think an unlocked ATT Unite is able to handle the Digicel/Lime frequencies while in the BVI. Before 4G/LTE, companies in the US started calling it 4G when it was technically advanced 3G (HSPA+) and now the same in the BVI's - it's a marketing thing. But, apparently you can stream music as Evan (sailtowind) has reported and I think it will work with video, I believe 2Mbs download should be expected with a good signal which is good enough for me.

One thing I figured out about the Unite device, to change the APN setting, which someone will need to do for it to work, you need to login to the device from a computer - you can't do it from the user interface on the device itself. As you said, to do this it needs to be unlocked.

Life involves risks, take some prudent ones (NOT with the BVI ferries)!