These buildings SHOULD have been elevated at least five feet in the air, maybe more. I have built a home on the water and I am ten feet in the air. These building may survive a minor blow, but a real hurricane will leave nothing but the concrete slabs. Building in the air allows the tidal surge to pass under the structure, not beat it to toothpicks. If proper international hurricane standards are followed, raised structures can be built so survive 125 MPH winds. I hope hurricane straps, rafter and joist hangers, and metal roofs with proper fasteners are used on these buildings.

I know it is SXM, but building on a slab along the coast of the US would not be permitted nor could you get insurance. While I can see where the buildings will be stronger than the ones being replaced, they will not survive the rising ocean or a major hurricane.

"All of us have in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean...And when we go back to the sea...we are going back from whence we came."
>((((º>