If you all are new to SXM then maybe we should start with some basics. The island is part French and part Dutch and they could not be more different. Some people here argue that and I always wonder what they are smoking...they can provide their own observations. The airport is on the Dutch side which is totally American and dominated by big hotels and condos. Yes, there are smaller places as some folks have indicated but they are the exception. The French side is much more laid back and international. I don't believe there is anything on the French side that is more than 4 stories and there are no "major" resorts with the possible exception of the hotel Riu. 95% of the best restaurants are on the French side judged by international standards. Their are tons of restaurants on the Dutch side that people love but very little you can't find in Miami. There is little debate that the best beach on the island is Orient on the French side, based on size and restaurants and other activities.

If you really want a first floor unit I would not recommend the French side where everything is quiet and vulnerable (with the exception of the Alamanda resort on Orient or the Grand Case Beach Club). Stay in the bright lights on the Dutch side and take cabs to Orient and Grand Case for very memorable experiences. If you can move up one floor there are many, many rentals on the French side.

Judging by where you have been staying the ambiance on the French side is a better fit but Your food preference might be the deciding factor...if you really love gourmet European food, run from the Dutch side to the French but if you don't care and can find a nice small place on the Dutch side, then that is your ticket.

In any event I will be surprised if you don't enjoy the experience.