I seriously can't imagine what the hubbub is about not having a chart plotter in the VI. What could it possibly tell you that your eyes wouldn't? Are you really too lazy to follow a compass bearing to Anegada, or check the Cruising Guide to avoid the rocks off of George Dog?

I bareboat skippered and ran my crewed charterboat for years, using only a placemat to show my guests where we were and where we were going.

I guess that I'm now a charter member of the old farts club, but navigating the VI is like Christmas shopping at the mall. Just be patient, cautious, courteous to others, and have a good time. Don't waste your time being attached at the eyeballs to a silly LED screen. You REALLY need to make a special effort to screw up navigating in the VI.

I admit that I'm a fan of my autopilot. But that's because I mostly cruise solo. When I have guests, there's always someone who relishes the idea of steering. (And I take lots of pictures for future reinforcement!)

Be one with your boat and the ocean that surrounds it. Make just a small effort to detach yourself from your stateside crutches. You'll have a much more fulfilling experience.