Thanks again, all. Yes, my surprise was more in line with the comments above from mcevog and 706jim. (BTW, congrats mcevog on your L450!). While most on this board are pretty experienced with the BVI's and have much more sailing experience than the average bear, I think a chartplotter at the helm is important for most who sail in the BVI's - which is the training grounds for many. I would never invest so much in a charter yacht without putting another navigational aid in front of the people who I'm trusting to keep it safe. In ideal conditions and with some basic planning and navigational skills, the skipper should be fine in navigating the BVI's without looking down - where most is line-of-sight and the dangers between the first and next mooring ball are few. But I recall a time or two with dark clouds, ~20 kt winds, and sideways rain that the chartplotter at the helm was helpful in seeing how close to shore I could (should) go before tacking. Even if the map overlay was off from the displayed GPS positioning, I could see how far I could go using the displayed chart and what I could see around me (rounding West End from JVD and needing to tack off Leinster Bay, SJ in the middle of a 15 minute squall). Again, it's simply a good reminder for me (and recommendations to others) to check on the chartplotter details before committing to a charter, if that's important to you. Or to make sure you're prepared with whatever gizmo is best for you and you play around with it before the trip. Again, thanks all!

~~~~_/)~~~~
"The TTOL Member Map Guy"
TTOL Member Map
TTOL Member Map Form