Subaqua said:
agrimsrud said:
Subaque,

Oh boy..... I really try hard not to jump on anyone's post. But in this case I'm not able to let it slide.

Kryssa - please don't listen to ANYTHING Subaque wrote. Your plans sound great. You should definitely see about getting certified. I sailed since I was about 8. And still found that I learned a lot of things when I took the ASA classes at 50.

And even after you have certification you should definitely take on a captain for the first day or two or however many days it takes to make you comfortable. There is nothing fun about being even a little bit in over your head - stress is not a vacation.

I don't know anything about classes in the BVI - I'm sure there are others here that can comment on that.

take care!

Hey! Be nice!
I didn't say "go out and sail in a hurricane". geez.. I'm still learning.. and get this.. after sailing for 3 years on the cat my wife and I took ASA 101, 103, 104.. we tested out of ASA 101. We had to take the ASA to be able to charter in certain Mediterranean countries.
[color:"red"]The gal said she is an experienced sailor [/color] and if you think you need more than that and a day or two with a skipper you are wrong. You do not. I am proof. I knew virtually nothing about sailing and have chartered a ton now. She is experienced. She has way more knowledge about it then I ever did. And if that's the case, go sail, go charter.

If you don't feel confident then courses are a great idea. I started out on a 10' sailing dingy and then a 17' sloop and I sailed my *ss off all around the Chesapeake Bay! When I was thinking about chartering I got the standard line from the wife of an ASA instructor how would someone put you in a 40' boat worth $300K. When 911 hit I found plenty of outfits in the BVI that were more than happy with my "credit card" sailor experience in smaller boats. I had also worked at a marina and I'd operated much larger boats around the docks. I think I was qualified, I think I was more qualified than most. I didn't find the big boats that much of a challenge out on the open water. I don't berate those with a few weeks of training at school but I find it highly offensive that many think they can say their hundreds of hours of training is better than thousands of hours of real world experience. I've operated many boats in tricky docking experiences, fickle winds and run into weather and waves so high that would turn your hair grey. I parlayed my first experience in the BVI's to sailing the windward islands, leeward islands and the med. There is more than one route to Dublin and I think either is acceptable. I've felt quite confident each time we left on an adventure, if you don't then then feel free to get some more experience and training.

Life involves risks, take some prudent ones (NOT with the BVI ferries)!