pat 42
jazzgal 41
Todd 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
42 registered members (Fran, camview, luvtotravel, cabokid, Ackman, crsxm, CaribbeanCanadians, KirkB, UncleLuff, lcote, davidandsusannj, eightzerobits, RickinAtlanta, hokiesailor, jagmansr, SXMScubaman, Kennys, George1234, Kmon, Brian&Andi, JeanneB, Manpot, WLE, taraavo, ColoBoater, RonDon, Whale Tail, jazzgal, ohstate, NoelHall, lbksxm, foreversxm, 10 invisible), 984 guests, and 63 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Abandoned House on Hill? #113753
12/05/2016 08:44 AM
12/05/2016 08:44 AM
Louisville, KY
NoelHall Online content OP
Traveler
NoelHall  Online Content OP
Traveler
Louisville, KY
Stern tied in Little Harbor on Peter Island. We noticed a building/house at the top of the hill, approximately on the point between Little Harbor and Great Harbor. Several of our crew took our dinghy to the small stone structure at water's edge and found a path up to the structure. When they returned to our boat, they shared that it appears to be the remains of what they believed to be an old mansion. They claimed the interior had art in the form of "tiles". Does anyone know the history of this house?

Noel Hall
"It is humbling indeed, to discover my own opinion is only correct less than 50% of the time."

www.noelhall.com
BVI Sponsors
Re: Abandoned House on Hill? [Re: NoelHall] #113754
12/05/2016 09:21 AM
12/05/2016 09:21 AM
S
StormJib Offline
Traveler
StormJib  Offline
Traveler
S
Like This?

The Mansion of Peter Island

The place had its start with a Brunial Bruce growing tobacco on the island and he had a small cigarette and cigar company. Bruce sold his land and buildings to Mr. Percy Chubb. John Charles Brudenell-Bruce once owned 230 acres on Peter Island. The Chubb Widow abandoned the place in 80's over concern with healthcare access from Peter Island and the BVI. Her children "could not" (would not) afford to maintain the place. Commodore Percy Chubb also wrote Who hath Desired the Sea, a compilation of journals, and penned one of the first cruising guide books of the Eastern Caribbean. The house was a second home or vacation spot for both families. The structure near the water had its start as a privy or outhouse. Look out... you might find some historic S*#%.... Mr. Chubb was the 3rd generation owner of Chubb Corporation. Chubb had its start in the marine insurance business. Today Chubb offers some of the best personal and family risk coverage money can pay for.

Do not underestimate the risk to BVI business and property values with the limited access to 24/7 21st Century "golden hour" medical services.

Last edited by StormJib; 12/05/2016 09:34 AM.
Re: Abandoned House on Hill? [Re: StormJib] #113755
12/05/2016 07:08 PM
12/05/2016 07:08 PM
SW Florida
C
CptCook Offline
Traveler
CptCook  Offline
Traveler
C
SW Florida
StormJib said:
Chubb had its start in the marine insurance business. Today Chubb offers some of the best personal and family risk coverage money can pay for.

For what it is worth , Chubb was bought by ACE International (Philidelphia; Hamilton, Bermuda; Zurich) last year. Although ACE bought Chubb, the combined entity retained the Chubb name. The business book is being redefined and certain risks may no longer be included. As an aside, this is also what happened to US Airways prior to the American merger. America West Airlines actually bought US Air, but kept the US Air name.

Last edited by CptCook; 12/05/2016 07:10 PM.

"Be a Traveler, not a tourist!"
Re: Abandoned House on Hill? [Re: NoelHall] #113756
12/13/2016 03:40 PM
12/13/2016 03:40 PM
Tortola, BVI
L
LianeLeTendre Offline
Traveler
LianeLeTendre  Offline
Traveler
L
Tortola, BVI
Further to Stormjibs notes regarding Peter Island, if you want the full scoop, go to the store named "Little Denmark" on Main Street in Road Town.

The shop owner is Dianna Bruce, one of the daughters of John Charles Brudenell-Bruce, a British Diplomat who came to the BVI in the 1930's. His other daughter is my next door neighbour. They know a great deal of BVI history between the two of them.

Re: Abandoned House on Hill? [Re: LianeLeTendre] #113757
12/13/2016 11:10 PM
12/13/2016 11:10 PM
Chicago
YachtReprise Offline
Traveler
YachtReprise  Offline
Traveler
Chicago
I've always been fascinated by the Chubb house, and have visited it at least once a year since it was abandoned in the '80s. Back then it was as if it was frozen in time - with plates left on the dining table, and toiletries in the bathrooms. As if someone said ENOUGH! I'm LEAVING NOW!

But I always envisioned happier, simpler times. With grand parties, at which the Governor was in attendance. And a steel band brought over from Tortola. Much dancing and drinking, and lovely wooden boats in the harbor, waiting to sail their owners back home in the wee hours.

In the 90's I brought my young family there, and my one son was intent on filming a ghost....and so he did, or so we thought, as we traversed the servants quarters. The video has been a source of debate in our family for decades.

Over the years I've discovered many pottery shards from colonial times mixed among the more modern detritus. The Chubb estate was literally built on top of the old tobacco plantation (most prominent in the flatland).

Based on a hunch, I also discovered some 'treasures' in the bay...which I think are better left alone.

I did not know the connection between Dianna Bruce (Little Denmark) and Little Harbor. But I'll be sure to look her up on my next visit!