Traveltalkonline.com Forums


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics29,123
Posts212,261
Members25,325
Most Online2,218
Jan 21st, 2020
Top Posters(30 Days)
RonDon 67
pat 56
SammyM 56
bailau 53
Member Spotlight
o2bnsxm
o2bnsxm
Louisiana
Posts: 982
Joined: June 2005
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Iteach
Who's Online Now
54 registered members (Fletch, KirkB, dlparch, Docmont, lisajctx, Mikel, SXMScubaman, Alec Atteberry, NumberCruncher, madman57, Halcyon, Breeze, bailau, Aries4, JasonHelmbrecht, Chiffon, RatmansWife, Dan_Harper, sunman60, Orange_Burst, mriley4955, JerseyPal, PnPinNC, SteveH, GW248, trespalmas, NCSailor, jagmansr, juice13, tradewinds, WayneB, xraylady, indianafanatic, Kirk, EllenS, captmonk, LINNY, Midsouth, RonDon, tpcook, 14 invisible), 520 guests, and 400 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
dinning on shore while anchored #116149
01/04/2017 05:17 PM
01/04/2017 05:17 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 128
psod Offline OP
Traveler
psod  Offline OP
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 128
anxiously awaiting our first catamaran charter in Feb on TMM's newest cat Boomerang.. had a question come up with our group.. we plan to dine ashore most nights and wonder what the logistics are of shuttling the group via dinghy after dark.. I'm sure our captain will advise on that but we would like to know in advance,,,

BVI Sponsors
Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: psod] #116150
01/04/2017 08:27 PM
01/04/2017 08:27 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,057
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,057
Ontario, Canada
Not much different than by day. Flashlights in the dinghy (and turned on) so other boats can see you and you can see mooring balls. Also travel at a much slower pace to keep dry and to avoid trouble.


Warren
S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 450, (part of the TMM fleet until April, Charter Caribe (all inclusive-crewed) in St Thomas thereafter https://chartercaribe.com/charters/ ).
A TTOL sponsor
Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: warren460] #116151
01/04/2017 09:31 PM
01/04/2017 09:31 PM
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 595
Georgia & South Carolina
D
Deepcut Offline
Traveler
Deepcut  Offline
Traveler
D
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 595
Georgia & South Carolina
Also pass behind anchored boats to avoid motoring across anchor/mooring lines (or well in front).. Good flashlights(I have my own), SLOW is pro, and don't forget bug spray when going ashore.
A dry bag or two is nice ...day or night.


Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (Lagoon 42)
Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: Deepcut] #116152
01/04/2017 10:11 PM
01/04/2017 10:11 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 490
OU Sooner
G
ggffrr11 Offline
Traveler
ggffrr11  Offline
Traveler
G
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 490
OU Sooner
And always pre-calculate which is the windward/leeward side of the dinghy. The windward side passengers often get a "wet butt".

Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: ggffrr11] #116153
01/04/2017 10:28 PM
01/04/2017 10:28 PM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,049
S
StormJib Offline
Traveler
StormJib  Offline
Traveler
S
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,049
If you can see that flashlight you are killing your night vision. The lights are best left OFF. There is a reason real boats, yachts, and ships do not have headlights.

Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: StormJib] #116154
01/04/2017 10:39 PM
01/04/2017 10:39 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,057
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,057
Ontario, Canada
My view is to keep the ligh on, pointed forward and outside of the dinghy. It is likely that the dinghy will not have running lights. If your lights are off, no other boats, especially faster boats will not be able to see you. People have been killed in dinghies running invisible.

Also, the tubes usually get damp with the evening condensation. So you might want to dry where you will sit before you get wet,

Last edited by warren460; 01/04/2017 10:42 PM.

Warren
S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 450, (part of the TMM fleet until April, Charter Caribe (all inclusive-crewed) in St Thomas thereafter https://chartercaribe.com/charters/ ).
A TTOL sponsor
Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: StormJib] #116155
01/04/2017 10:50 PM
01/04/2017 10:50 PM
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 109
Bozeman / Minneapolis
snowdog Offline
Traveler
snowdog  Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 109
Bozeman / Minneapolis
Quote
StormJib said:
If you can see that flashlight you are killing your night vision. The lights are best left OFF. There is a reason real boats, yachts, and ships do not have headlights.


Yes... don't hold the flashlight in a manner that impacts your night vision. But sorry SJ, I can't agree with the rest of your advice. On many nights there is no way to safely see unused mooring balls and pendants without a light. Furthermore, if you are in a busy anchorage like The Bight, you run the risk of being hit by a powerboat if they cannot see you. Finally, lighting is required on any boat with a motor.


s/v Snow Dog - Leopard 46
Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: snowdog] #116156
01/04/2017 11:12 PM
01/04/2017 11:12 PM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,049
S
StormJib Offline
Traveler
StormJib  Offline
Traveler
S
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,049
Once you learn to use night vision and your ears. You will be safer with those lights off. At night in the anchorage it is always best to stay clear of the other boats using your night vision and your ears. Once anyone turns on a white flashlight you are blind and that is why you are missing the moorings and need the light to try and search for them in the dark. Yes, you can have the light ready to turn on to alert another boat only when you must. Once someone powers up a flashlight it will take you a long time to get any night vision back. The way to go is to keep a proper lookout with the handheld blinding lights off in a dinghy.

Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: StormJib] #116157
01/04/2017 11:19 PM
01/04/2017 11:19 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 435
7
706jim Offline
Traveler
706jim  Offline
Traveler
7
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 435
I bought two LED flashlights, the cheap ones that float and have a whistle. One red and one green. They work pretty good on my dinghy both for reduced glare and boat orientation. Maybe try those.

Last edited by 706jim; 01/04/2017 11:20 PM.
Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: 706jim] #116158
01/04/2017 11:58 PM
01/04/2017 11:58 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,057
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,057
Ontario, Canada
Try whatever you like, as long as other boats can see you.


Warren
S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 450, (part of the TMM fleet until April, Charter Caribe (all inclusive-crewed) in St Thomas thereafter https://chartercaribe.com/charters/ ).
A TTOL sponsor
Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: StormJib] #116159
01/05/2017 08:03 AM
01/05/2017 08:03 AM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,959
Charlotte, NC
N
NCSailor Online content
Traveler
NCSailor  Online Content
Traveler
N
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,959
Charlotte, NC
Quote
StormJib said:
Once you learn to use night vision and your ears. You will be safer with those lights off. At night in the anchorage it is always best to stay clear of the other boats using your night vision and your ears. Once anyone turns on a white flashlight you are blind and that is why you are missing the moorings and need the light to try and search for them in the dark. Yes, you can have the light ready to turn on to alert another boat only when you must. Once someone powers up a flashlight it will take you a long time to get any night vision back. The way to go is to keep a proper lookout with the handheld blinding lights off in a dinghy.


I disagree. Maybe back in the day when you rowed your dinghy ashore it was safe without a light using your ears and night vision. Today there are other boats moving fast through the anchorages including ferries, go fast boats and dinghys. Yeah, your keen night vision might detect them while they are bearing down on you but without a light they can't see you and in the event of a collision you will be found negligent. Plus, the outboard from your dinghy makes it difficult to hear approaching boats. We put a person on the bow with a flashlight pointed forward scanning the anchorage in front of us.

Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: NCSailor] #116160
01/05/2017 08:23 AM
01/05/2017 08:23 AM
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 48
FL/NC
F
FLMarine Offline
Traveler
FLMarine  Offline
Traveler
F
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 48
FL/NC
If other boats cannot see you then you risk being hit by another boat. I'm not exactly sure of the rules/laws in the BVI for running a boat at night, but there is a reason in back in the states you are required to have your lights (configuration depending on boat size/type) on while boating at night.

Sure if you use a flashlight and look into it your night vision will be affected, but if you shine the light up or in front of you it won't matter that much. Then again with most of the dingy's coming back from bars I'd say most are more impaired from the drinks then a little flashlight and it's more important the others can see you.

Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: NCSailor] #116161
01/05/2017 08:27 AM
01/05/2017 08:27 AM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 308
Tampa, FL
denverd0n Offline
Traveler
denverd0n  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 308
Tampa, FL
Stay clear of other boats!?! You're in a crowded anchorage, heading towards (or away from) a popular restaurant, with a very high likelihood that other dinghies and various boats are roaming around also. How the heck are you going to stay clear of other boats?

Use your flashlight. Don't point it into your eyes. Better to lose a little bit of your night vision than to get run down by someone who didn't see you, when all you're doing is moving the short distance from your boat to the dinghy dock!

Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: denverd0n] #116162
01/05/2017 09:17 AM
01/05/2017 09:17 AM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 385
Florida
R
rfrimmel Offline
Traveler
rfrimmel  Offline
Traveler
R
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 385
Florida

Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: rfrimmel] #116163
01/05/2017 09:35 AM
01/05/2017 09:35 AM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,382
Maryland
Kirk Online content
Traveler
Kirk  Online Content
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,382
Maryland
...and remember where you parked! <img src="http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/images/graemlins/Grin.gif" alt="" /> Sounds silly, but in a big crowded mooring field at night, a lot of boats look the same. <img src="http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/images/graemlins/Wink.gif" alt="" /> <img src="http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/images/graemlins/Wink.gif" alt="" />


Kirk in Maryland
Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: Kirk] #116164
01/05/2017 10:15 AM
01/05/2017 10:15 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 128
psod Offline OP
Traveler
psod  Offline OP
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 128
I'm confident our captain will get us back and forth ok
we were just questioning the logistics for dinner planning
that's why I asked,,,looks like we will have lots of options for eating

Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: psod] #116165
01/05/2017 10:27 AM
01/05/2017 10:27 AM
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 270
trueblue Offline
Traveler
trueblue  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 270
Whatever you do, DO NOT give anybody those head lamps We once saw a dinghy full of passengers outfitted with those lights all turn to look at the helmsman at the same time . I am sure he was blind for a week!

Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: psod] #116166
01/05/2017 10:34 AM
01/05/2017 10:34 AM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,382
Maryland
Kirk Online content
Traveler
Kirk  Online Content
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,382
Maryland
Quote
psod said:
I'm confident our captain will get us back and forth ok
we were just questioning the logistics for dinner planning
that's why I asked,,,looks like we will have lots of options for eating


Can you elaborate to what info you're looking for then?


Kirk in Maryland
Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: Kirk] #116167
01/05/2017 11:51 AM
01/05/2017 11:51 AM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,041
Upstate New York
TomC Offline
Traveler
TomC  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,041
Upstate New York
If there is any shallow water between your mooring and the dock you may want to try a dry run during daylight hours, if possible, for familiarization. More than one prop has been unsuspectingly bent at night.


Tom
Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: Kirk] #116168
01/05/2017 11:52 AM
01/05/2017 11:52 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 128
psod Offline OP
Traveler
psod  Offline OP
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 128
I was more or less just asking if it was practical to expect to dine ashore most nights,,,that would affect what food we would need to provision for,,,

Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: psod] #116169
01/05/2017 12:00 PM
01/05/2017 12:00 PM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,049
S
StormJib Offline
Traveler
StormJib  Offline
Traveler
S
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,049
Night vision is a learned skill for many. Keep the light off and pay attention. If there is another boat approaching anywhere near your course only them should you briefly signal with a light. Before anyone turns on a light at least the helmsman should close or cover at least one eye. Many believe that is one of the purposes of the old pirate patch. To establish and maintain night vision. Just closing both eye for ten seconds can establish some night vision for some of us. You will never solve this on a keyboard. Each night sky and anchorage are different. I strongly suggest everyone learn to establish night vision and experience what you can actually see once you have your eyes properly adjusted. White lights are the worst robbing everyone on your boat and maybe those around you the ability to see. The danger is all the folks with white lights running around the harbors blind and many times drunk. Pay attention using your night vision and avoid them. Turn a light on only if you must signal them or have proper running lights were none of the lights coming from you boat are visible to the helm and lookout on your boat.

Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: psod] #116170
01/05/2017 12:01 PM
01/05/2017 12:01 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 684
Middleburg, VA
cwoody Offline
Traveler
cwoody  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 684
Middleburg, VA
You will be able to communicate with most restaurants on the water in the BVI via VHF.
Many will meet you at your boat after you settle in with a menu and special list.


Chuck W.
BVI Pics

[Linked Image]
Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: psod] #116171
01/05/2017 12:05 PM
01/05/2017 12:05 PM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,382
Maryland
Kirk Online content
Traveler
Kirk  Online Content
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,382
Maryland
Quote
psod said:
I was more or less just asking if it was practical to expect to dine ashore most nights,,,that would affect what food we would need to provision for,,,


There certainly are some places you could overnight that don't have a bar/restaurant...but that's up to you. There is more than ample opportunity to do all meals ashore if that's what you want to do.

I typically eat one or two breakfasts ashore, a couple of lunches, and all dinners. I miss a meal or three as well.


Kirk in Maryland
Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: StormJib] #116172
01/05/2017 12:11 PM
01/05/2017 12:11 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 684
Middleburg, VA
cwoody Offline
Traveler
cwoody  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 684
Middleburg, VA
Night vision aside and as mentioned before...
any Power Driven Vessel (PVD) is require to have proper lighting.
Up to the dingy captain to keep the lights out of their eyes <img src="http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/images/graemlins/Yikes.gif" alt="" />


Chuck W.
BVI Pics

[Linked Image]
Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: warren460] #116173
01/05/2017 12:15 PM
01/05/2017 12:15 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 797
Louisville, KY
NoelHall Offline
Traveler
NoelHall  Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 797
Louisville, KY
My two cents: I understand most accidents seem to have a dinghy involved, perhaps as simple as one of the crew falling in the water when attempting to enter or exit the dinghy, or something more serious. Be ready to assist others, or accept help yourself. As was said, it can get a little wet, depending on the conditions in the anchorage, and don't forget you likely have sand on your feet/sandals when returning to your boat. Keep your captain happy by having a bucket of water on the scoop for washing your feet and shoes before entering the cockpit/salon.


Noel Hall
"It is humbling indeed, to discover my own opinion is only correct less than 50% of the time."

www.noelhall.com
Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: NoelHall] #116174
01/05/2017 01:17 PM
01/05/2017 01:17 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 101
New England Coast
B
BayCruiser Offline
Traveler
BayCruiser  Offline
Traveler
B
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 101
New England Coast
Your captain will surely know, but if you tell him that you want to be in anchorages that have restaurants ashore, then you can have that every night.
Lights out or lights on, enjoy!!

Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: BayCruiser] #116175
01/05/2017 02:36 PM
01/05/2017 02:36 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 83
ON, Canada
E
Eclipse Offline
Traveler
Eclipse  Offline
Traveler
E
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 83
ON, Canada
As others have pointed out, pretty easy to dine ashore in Feb in the BVIs. Checking the Virgin Islands Cruising Guide that will be aboard your charter boat will help you determine what dining options exist in the various overnight anchorages that you are planning to stay in.
Note that once you leave Tortola, many of the smaller restaurants require you to make reservations prior to 4pm. Some will also ask that you select your meal options at the time of reservations to ensure that have your preferences on hand for the evening meals. I have seen on occasion that restaurants that have no evening reservations either don't open for dinner or close early.
Reservations can be made by phone, in person or using the VHF.
Enjoy your trip

Last edited by Eclipse; 01/05/2017 02:37 PM.
Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: StormJib] #116176
01/05/2017 02:36 PM
01/05/2017 02:36 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,527
Ya never know...
HillsideView Offline
Traveler
HillsideView  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,527
Ya never know...
Insert random copy and pasted item here:_____________________ <img src="http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/images/graemlins/Yikes.gif" alt="" />


My foot fits right into my shoe and my shoe will fit right into your...
Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: HillsideView] #116177
01/05/2017 04:42 PM
01/05/2017 04:42 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,772
Maine
Breeze Online content
Traveler
Breeze  Online Content
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,772
Maine
Having had one set of sailing friends t-boned at night while dinkimg back to the boat, it is a no brainer.

Use a light.

Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: Eclipse] #116178
01/05/2017 05:42 PM
01/05/2017 05:42 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,523
Woodstock, GA
RickinAtlanta Offline
Traveler
RickinAtlanta  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,523
Woodstock, GA
Quote
Eclipse said:
As others have pointed out, pretty easy to dine ashore in Feb in the BVIs. Checking the Virgin Islands Cruising Guide that will be aboard your charter boat will help you determine what dining options exist in the various overnight anchorages that you are planning to stay in.
Note that once you leave Tortola, many of the smaller restaurants require you to make reservations prior to 4pm. Some will also ask that you select your meal options at the time of reservations to ensure that have your preferences on hand for the evening meals. I have seen on occasion that restaurants that have no evening reservations either don't open for dinner or close early.
Reservations can be made by phone, in person or using the VHF.
Enjoy your trip


Have never experienced that on Virgin Gorda.

Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: RickinAtlanta] #116179
01/05/2017 07:18 PM
01/05/2017 07:18 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,057
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,057
Ontario, Canada
I have experienced that on anegada. Nowhere else in the bvi.

If you get to anegada. A must visit is the wonky dog. Check their web site and look at the menu and reviews here and on TripAdvisor. It's outstanding.


Warren
S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 450, (part of the TMM fleet until April, Charter Caribe (all inclusive-crewed) in St Thomas thereafter https://chartercaribe.com/charters/ ).
A TTOL sponsor
Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: StormJib] #116180
01/05/2017 07:26 PM
01/05/2017 07:26 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,959
Charlotte, NC
N
NCSailor Online content
Traveler
NCSailor  Online Content
Traveler
N
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,959
Charlotte, NC
Quote
StormJib said:
Night vision is a learned skill for many. Keep the light off and pay attention. If there is another boat approaching anywhere near your course only them should you briefly signal with a light. Before anyone turns on a light at least the helmsman should close or cover at least one eye. Many believe that is one of the purposes of the old pirate patch. To establish and maintain night vision. Just closing both eye for ten seconds can establish some night vision for some of us. You will never solve this on a keyboard. Each night sky and anchorage are different. I strongly suggest everyone learn to establish night vision and experience what you can actually see once you have your eyes properly adjusted. White lights are the worst robbing everyone on your boat and maybe those around you the ability to see. The danger is all the folks with white lights running around the harbors blind and many times drunk. Pay attention using your night vision and avoid them. Turn a light on only if you must signal them or have proper running lights were none of the lights coming from you boat are visible to the helm and lookout on your boat.


Ron,

One of your worst posts ever under your pseudonym Stormjib. Pirates wearing patches to avoid being blinded by flashlights? We should all wander around in the dark at home to get our night vision ready for a dinghy ride without flashlights? The bottom line is a boat under motor power at night is required to display a white light. I would like to see you explain to a jury how you conditioned your night vision in PA before your charter but still got run over by the ferry so it's not your fault you didn't display a light.

Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: NCSailor] #116181
01/05/2017 07:33 PM
01/05/2017 07:33 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,057
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,057
Ontario, Canada
I know of an incident that occurred 15 years ago. A friend was the owner of the particular charter boat. It was on a mooring at Saba rock. The occupants went to bitter end for dinner. On the way back across the channel between Saba and beyc their dingy was hit by a high speed power cruiser. Several dinghy passengers were killed on impact. Litigation transpired for years. I don't recall the outcome. But nobody needs to be at risk for this sort of mishap. To travel without a light is illegal reckless and puts people's lives At risk. It's stupid.


Warren
S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 450, (part of the TMM fleet until April, Charter Caribe (all inclusive-crewed) in St Thomas thereafter https://chartercaribe.com/charters/ ).
A TTOL sponsor
Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: warren460] #116182
01/06/2017 03:32 AM
01/06/2017 03:32 AM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 283
K
Kryssa Offline
Traveler
Kryssa  Offline
Traveler
K
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 283
We never have issues with lights and night vision. Person in front holds light out down toward the water ahead. Says "mooring ball 2 o'clock" as needed. Don't shine at other boats. Seems simple...

Last edited by Kryssa; 01/06/2017 03:33 AM.
Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: NCSailor] #116183
01/06/2017 10:56 AM
01/06/2017 10:56 AM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,049
S
StormJib Offline
Traveler
StormJib  Offline
Traveler
S
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,049
Quote
NCSailor said:
Quote
StormJib said:
Night vision is a learned skill for many. Keep the light off and pay attention. If there is another boat approaching anywhere near your course only them should you briefly signal with a light. Before anyone turns on a light at least the helmsman should close or cover at least one eye. Many believe that is one of the purposes of the old pirate patch. To establish and maintain night vision. Just closing both eye for ten seconds can establish some night vision for some of us. You will never solve this on a keyboard. Each night sky and anchorage are different. I strongly suggest everyone learn to establish night vision and experience what you can actually see once you have your eyes properly adjusted. White lights are the worst robbing everyone on your boat and maybe those around you the ability to see. The danger is all the folks with white lights running around the harbors blind and many times drunk. Pay attention using your night vision and avoid them. Turn a light on only if you must signal them or have proper running lights were none of the lights coming from you boat are visible to the helm and lookout on your boat.


Ron,

One of your worst posts ever under your pseudonym Stormjib. Pirates wearing patches to avoid being blinded by flashlights? We should all wander around in the dark at home to get our night vision ready for a dinghy ride without flashlights? The bottom line is a boat under motor power at night is required to display a white light. I would like to see you explain to a jury how you conditioned your night vision in PA before your charter but still got run over by the ferry so it's not your fault you didn't display a light.


Here is a little cut and paste for your entertainment.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/52493/why-did-pirates-wear-eye-patches

Do not underestimate the importance of night vision on the water.

Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: StormJib] #116184
01/06/2017 11:00 AM
01/06/2017 11:00 AM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,098
Maryland
Twanger Offline
Traveler
Twanger  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,098
Maryland
We ALWAY bring a small light and use it in the dingy at night.

Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: Twanger] #116185
01/07/2017 02:14 PM
01/07/2017 02:14 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 354
Pacific NW
S
snmhanson Offline
Traveler
snmhanson  Offline
Traveler
S
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 354
Pacific NW
I won't comment on whether a light is needed or not. All I'll say is that we have unintentionally made more than one dinghy trip back to the boat at night without a flashlight. I wasn't worried much about us seeing things as we could see pretty well and we took it nice and slow. What I was worried about though is people not seeing us - especially the people that feel the need to run their dinghy full speed in the mooring field at night. So, my only advice, presuming you intend to use a light, is to make sure you don't forget it when you come in to shore since it will often be light when you are heading in but will turn dark while you are earring dinner.

Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: snmhanson] #116186
01/07/2017 04:43 PM
01/07/2017 04:43 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,959
Charlotte, NC
N
NCSailor Online content
Traveler
NCSailor  Online Content
Traveler
N
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,959
Charlotte, NC
Quote
snmhanson said:
I won't comment on whether a light is needed or not. All I'll say is that we have unintentionally made more than one dinghy trip back to the boat at night without a flashlight. I wasn't worried much about us seeing things as we could see pretty well and we took it nice and slow. What I was worried about though is people not seeing us - especially the people that feel the need to run their dinghy full speed in the mooring field at night. So, my only advice, presuming you intend to use a light, is to make sure you don't forget it when you come in to shore since it will often be light when you are heading in but will turn dark while you are earring dinner.


We have a backpack that always comes ashore. Contains handheld VHF, flashlight, bug spray, sunscreen, coozies, camera and ziploc bags for electronics. Phones go in the ziplocs before we leave the boat. We always remember the bag.

Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: NCSailor] #116187
01/07/2017 04:53 PM
01/07/2017 04:53 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,398
An island state of mind
tradewinds Online content
Traveler
tradewinds  Online Content
Traveler
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,398
An island state of mind
Ditto. We always bring a dry bag ashore with our "stuff."

Re: dinning on shore while anchored [Re: NCSailor] #116188
01/07/2017 04:58 PM
01/07/2017 04:58 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,057
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,057
Ontario, Canada
Very good suggestion!


Warren
S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 450, (part of the TMM fleet until April, Charter Caribe (all inclusive-crewed) in St Thomas thereafter https://chartercaribe.com/charters/ ).
A TTOL sponsor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1