Top Posters(30 Days)
RonDon 115
pat 42
jazzgal 40
Todd 39
Member Spotlight
jmbcomms
jmbcomms
New England (home), St. Maarten (many weeks each year) and California (where my daughter is)
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
LONGISLANDSHARON, Sca2la
Who's Online Now
47 registered members (Donaegada, lcote, eilandmens, GaryB, timnboston, Fran, Kennys, JohnB, pbd007, Time Will Tell, KenW, RickBlaine, Whale Tail, tradewinds, SXMScubaman, patentshark, bostonbob, MKGrey, boucharda, tmsxmsails, xrayman67, sailingbob, vetteguy, BHK, mark37, Zanshin, 706jim, Fitzhughlaw, Kiles41, duckfat, sugarae, JerseyPal, socamon, CaribbeanCanadians, jazzgal, ColoBoater, 11 invisible), 1,144 guests, and 48 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Alternative Winter Escape #153588
01/26/2018 10:07 AM
01/26/2018 10:07 AM
Michigan/Newfoundland/Canada
S
Sandysnow Offline OP
Traveler
Sandysnow  Offline OP
Traveler
S
This is the first time I have been on here since the format changed. We are going to Bequia this winter, it was a hard decision to choose. I was wondering where everyone else is going who cannot go to their favorite island this winter because of Irma. And why did you chose that particular destination?

Sponsors
Re: Alternative Winter Escape [Re: Sandysnow] #153669
01/26/2018 09:23 PM
01/26/2018 09:23 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Hi, Sandy from Newfoundland/Michigan/Canada,

We’re supposed to be off to Antigua in March. Why? Well, it could be because we landed there many times back in the day but never got to deplane. Or.....it could be because of all the positive write-ups I would read if I could find a forum that offered them. Or, and this is the most likely of all reasons - it could be because a friend offered us two weeks there, after hearing about the damage to our timeshare, and at no cost to us beyond airfare. Methinks the latter!

I am anxious to hear about your trip to Bequia and I hope you’ll share your thoughts with us on your return. Hope your family and friends on SXM and at Loterie are all well. Safe travels......

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Alternative Winter Escape [Re: Sandysnow] #153684
01/27/2018 09:39 AM
01/27/2018 09:39 AM
S
Sandysnow Offline OP
Traveler
Sandysnow  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Yes, all are well, nephew lost his roof but was staying with friends, sister-in-law lost roof & a wall or 2 but wasn't on island. Loterie lost the zip lines & restaurant, but the lovely pool is intact & so is his plantation house, they're improvising & rebuilding. She's there right now & sending pictures of old favorite places - the island looks very quiet, like the old days. I believe you will love Antigua! We went by ourselves back in 2010 & stayed @ Jolly Harbour condos, loved it! Kept going back every 2 years dragging friends, who became enamored with the island & now won't go anyplace else! They will be there Feb. & part of March while we are in Bequia. Last year after a week in Antigua we dragged them to Grenada, maybe my favorite! Now, I'm thinking of further south, Curacao or Bonair? Martinique looks too busy, Gualeloupe maybe. So looking around. Sorry to hear about your timeshare. BTW there are no Antigua forums, used to be a nice one, very quiet, only Mark & Miz George actively contributing, it's gone & I can't find another. Let me know where you are staying in Antigua & I'd like to hear your trip report upon return. We stopped @ Bequia twice on the old Windjammer line & I fell in love with it but my husband thought he'd die of boredom after a few days, now we look forward to that kind of laid back quiet!

Regards, Sandy

Re: Alternative Winter Escape [Re: Sandysnow] #153742
01/27/2018 07:54 PM
01/27/2018 07:54 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
If our experience there was any indication I think you will love Grenada. We stayed at the Spice Island Inn on Grande Anse Beach. The Island was lush and lively and the people we encountered were gracious and happy.

We are staying at St. James Club Villas and that’s the full extent of what I know regarding Antigua.

One of these days we must meet up on SXM! 😊😊🌴🌴

Respectfully,

pat

them."
Re: Alternative Winter Escape [Re: Sandysnow] #153755
01/27/2018 10:27 PM
01/27/2018 10:27 PM
Pacific NW
S
snmhanson Offline
Traveler
snmhanson  Offline
Traveler
S
Pacific NW
We are off to the Windwards to sail in about one week. We actually booked the trip before the hurricanes and when there was plenty of availability as we have chartered in the BVIs many times and were looking to change things up a bit. Now when I look there are virtually no boats available and the hotel we are staying at pre-charter is charging three times the rate we got. We will be visiting St. Lucia, Bequia, Grenada and many of the islands in between.

Pat - we sailed Antigua a couple years ago and although we sailed around the island so only visited limited areas that had good anchorages, we really liked it. As a matter of fact, I am scheming a way to get down there again this summer. If you are looking for a dedicated Antigua forum (and I only mention this because there isn't one here on TTOL) TripAdvisor has one that gets a decent amount of traffic.

Re: Alternative Winter Escape [Re: pat] #153778
01/28/2018 11:01 AM
01/28/2018 11:01 AM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Thank you for the heads up regarding Trip Advisor, and congrats on your good fortune of pre-storm ‘deals’....... I hope you enjoy Grenada as much as we did along with the rest of your sailing experiences.

Respectfully,

pat

them."
Re: Alternative Winter Escape [Re: pat] #153809
01/28/2018 01:57 PM
01/28/2018 01:57 PM
S
Sandysnow Offline OP
Traveler
Sandysnow  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Originally Posted by pat
Thank you for the heads up regarding Trip Advisor, and congrats on your good fortune of pre-storm ‘deals’....... I hope you enjoy Grenada as much as we did along with the rest of your sailing experiences.

Grenada is probably my favorite island! We stayed on the North Side of Grand Anse in a small 4 unit 2-bedroom apt. complex. It has changed owners since our first time staying @ this particular location - and they have cleaned up the place immaculately! They haven't changed any of the funkyness but were super to rent from, we all met on the lawn for sunset each evening to trade plans & stories. There is a "rock" beach but a small one to the right & Grand Anse to the left. We talked our friends into joining us for 2 weeks there last winter. The busses (vans) are a tourist attraction in their own right!

Pat, about the only thing you should not miss in Antigua besides Nelson's Dockyard, of course, is Shirley Heights party with, usually, steel pan. Sundays are crazy so we prefer Thursdays & the food is delicious - buffet style. We hire a taxi & they usually wait for us, very reasonable & who wants to drive in the dark across to the other side of of the island, especially when you've had a few Dark 'N Stormys!

Yes, we should get together in SXM next time! I am toying with the idea of getting my s-i-l on board & maybe doing a "family reunion" or at least a family reunion with us & them - the heck with the rest of the family! Altho. if they aren't fun, they can be funny!

Yes, TA is the only forum with anything regarding Antigua I could find since the old Antigua site closed down, and I can't remember what the name of it was. Miz George on TA might be able to guide you to something. There is Antigua Nice which is an online tourist and information guide that tells you what's going on food & music wise on the island.

Have fun, I hope to hear about your experience!

Re: Alternative Winter Escape [Re: Sandysnow] #153933
01/29/2018 06:55 PM
01/29/2018 06:55 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Sandy,

Thanks for your insight and would you believe - those were the only two things I had already settled on and truthfully, Shirley Heights was iffy since we’re not all that big on crowds, even though the BBQ and steel pan music sounded awesome. We also want to do a private around the island tour - since it’s our first time and probably our last one, too.

When are you heading to SXM again - that get together sounded like a great idea. We expect to be there this Fall for a couple of weeks.

Respectfully,

pat

them."
Re: Alternative Winter Escape [Re: pat] #153993
01/30/2018 10:59 AM
01/30/2018 10:59 AM
S
Sandysnow Offline OP
Traveler
Sandysnow  Offline OP
Traveler
S
It'll probably be a year at least before we go back to SXM, we only leave in winter & that's for 5 weeks or so. Go to Europe in the fall. Shirley Heights should not be too crowded on Thursdays, not too far away from you & it's open air & lots of room to wander & beautiful sunset view! We've always stayed in Jolly Harbour Condos, self-catering, on the southwest corner of the island. Antigua has lots of gorgeous beaches & a hired car & driver is very economical & a good way to spend the day seeing the sights. If you're in the vicinity of the Culinary School, on the Northeast side of the island, just past the airport, their restaurant is a worthwhile lunch stop. Lovely views, quiet, lovely attention from the students, food is good & outside is also nice, altho. can be breezy. Don't forget Nelson's Dockyard & The Admiral's Inn just outside the Dockyard offers a nice lunch or you can take a dingy across to "Boom" - we've never done it tho.

Looking forward to hearing your experience upon your return!

Re: Alternative Winter Escape [Re: Sandysnow] #154420
02/05/2018 10:33 AM
02/05/2018 10:33 AM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Once again, thank you, Sandy, for the good info and suggestions. Friends there right now are also suggesting some of the same “must do” itinerary items so we will definitely put them on the list.

Respectfully,

pat

them."