Just returned from GLN after a 2 week vaca. The resort has not changed since I first visited over 20 years ago with the last stay 9 years ago. I have seen GLN in various conditions over the years, some good and some not so good. What has changed in the past 20 years is the vast addition of newer and much bigger properties incl Beaches, Couples, and RUI. By comparison, these newer venues ages GLN and makes it seem smaller and somewhat dumpy. Kind of like me over the past 20 years! The occupancy was around 40% the first week and down to 20+% the second. This left the empty rooms available for whatever upgrade is planned. I peaked in a few rooms under renovation, but was unable to see any hints of changes. Hopefully, they will lighten up the decor and add some creative lighting to the rooms. The bathroom worked fine, although 3 of the smaller of the 7 shower jets were not working. Since I have only one jet in our home shower, I did not feel deprived. Did witness a few people whining about cold water, lack of music at the textile beach, etc. Can't please them all. The c/o side was fairly empty and those that were there were mainly wearing clothes. I have always favored c/o policy vs nude only to entice newbies. However, in this situation I think nude only would be highly appropriate ala the old Braco policy.

The food was good to very good with ample selections at the breakfast and lunch buffets. 3 nights a week there is buffet only dinners, which were also very good given it is a buffet. The French and Continental restaurants were very good and the Japanese restaurant was excellent. Ask for Ricardo to cook for you. Very funny and entertaining. The Italian restaurant was very disappointing, but may have just been an off night.

The entertainment staff was excellent, extremely friendly and a true joy to be around. In fact, all the staff was overly helpful and gracious to us. Night time entertainment was mainly the house band and singer (very good) and occasional outside musical groups.

The grounds were impeccably maintained but take cover for the late afternoon bug fogging. Nasty, but it worked in diminishing the mossies.

We ventured out one afternoon to Negril for some shopping and Rick's for observation. Rick's is no longer the sleepy, rustic and hippy island bar of the 80's. Huge stone terrace, swimming pool, band stand/stage area, numerous bars and beer stands and loads of tourist buses and, therefore, tourists. Once is enough.

The once five star GLN is now 3 star at best. The goal is to have it back to its former beauty and service level by November. An asteroid hitting the earth has a better chance. The plans call for huge expansion of the resort, I guess to compete with the neighbors. I think it would have a better chance of crating a superior, exclusive boutique hotel with outstanding amenities and a return of the free services (laundry, dry cleaning, spa services). Better evening entertainment with Vegas type cabaret acts and restructure the awkward c/o side pool/bar set-up. Anything short of this and other upgrades too lengthy to list here will not command the $500-600/night rates from years ago.

Bottom line - we would return at the $300/night or less c/o cove room as currently it is a good deal.

naked people rock