Dining
The Wharf was great for our opening night. Cindy had a 2.5 pound lobster, and I had shrimp in a heavy garlic sauce. Service was exceptional, and came with a good sense of humor. Lunch at Orient the next day was at KokoMarina... escargots for Craig and an herbed chicken shiskabob served vertically for Cindy. The chicken presentation was unexpected, and a real winner. After Sunday night sunset cruise from the Pelican, we went to Peg Leg's for a dinner of appetizers and weren't disappointed. We sat at the bar and shared bacon wrapped shrimp and the best chicken strips we've ever had.

Lunch on Monday was a deli picnic at Happy Bay. Even though the trail is a bit rocky, the isolated beach is wonderful and well worth the ten minute hike from Friars. After using the marina shortcut to avoid the Marigot traffic, we were back at Pelican in no time and had an excellent dinner at Los Gauchos. Two great steaks, a nice cabernet/malbec meritage, and great service topped off the evening. The waitress did not recommend the rump steak (their version of filet) so we avoided that.

Tuesday was a St. Barths day, and the catamaran ride over was nothing short of rough. Several people got sick in heavy seas caused by the tropical depression which threatened Puerto Rico. However, once there we rented a car for 50 euros and drove around the beautiful, clean island on some of the narrowest roads ever; I've seen wider bowling lanes. We had lunch at Eden Rock and its world renowned reputation is justified. The beach setting is priceless, with menu prices close to that. We had chicken salad and tiger shrimp as entrees with a pouilly fume to drink. The appetizer was a chilled salmon mousse topped with creamed goat cheese, and dessert was a complimentary vanilla mousse. With tip, the bill was 157 euros or about $235; believe it or not, it was worth it. Service was exceptional, and you couldn't find a better setting for a 30th anniversary trip.

After a very smooth trip back to SXM (we were traveling with the seas this time, instead of against them), we had dinner at Pineapple Pete's: great service, great ribs, good crab/spinach encrusted grouper, and a little dancing... another perfect day.

Dany at Cupecoy fixed lunch on Wednesday, serving great chicken, red beans and rice, and salad for $6 per person. Cupecoy was the ideal beach that day because Orient was too windy to really enjoy, and the cliffs at Cupecoy provided the perfect cover. A number of $2 Caribs enhanced the napping conditions.

Dinner was at Lee's Roadside Grill, and was very disappointing. Although relatively inexpensive (what isn't after Eden Rock?), the menu was lacking in va
riety; I kept looking for more interesting items to consider but found none. We had snapper and grilled shrimp which were average in taste and boring in presentation. Our cocktails were poorly made, and we planned to leave without dining until a thunderstorm forced us to stay inside. So we tried to make the best of it but fell well short of satisfaction.

Thursday morning was at Zee Best and was wonderful. By the way, they take cash or traveler's checks but do not ac
cept credit cards. Inbetween shopping in Philipsburg, we lunched at Kangaroo Court. This is a neat litle restaurant built around almond trees and a huge banyan tree. Great food and service, less than a two minute walk from DK Gems. Back in Simpson Bay, dinner was at Tequila for tex/mex and margaritas. Augustus was excellent as a server and bartender.

Friday morning, Orient was too windy again so we went to the calmer Caribbean side and settled in at Mullet. We had lunch there at Rosie's, with chicken and ribs in the softest sand and nicest surf on the island. After Mullet, it was off to SunsetBeachBar for a quick cocktail. The surly, female bartender pretended the $50 bill I gave her was a twenty, giving me six bucks change for a $14 tab and then quickly walked away. When we finally got her attention, a terse discussion followed and she relented by giving me the extra $30 change I was owed. I reminded her she could review the bar video tape to confirm the bill since I held it up before giving it to her. We couldn't really tell if it was an honest mistake on her part, or not, but her general bad attitude told us it was intentional. We decided we didn't need SSBB and quickly moved on.

We went to Skipjack's for dinner and were pleased with the food, service and setting. Lance, our waiter, and Brad, an owner, were very attentive. Brad suggested a nice Sancerre to go with our blackened grouper and shrimp, but it was a little sweeter than what we usually prefer, although it is still a very good wine.
More about shopping, traffic, and other stuff in part two.