Saturday 6/27 – after turning Mistral back in at BVIYC, we ferried over to Virgin Gorda to spend a few days at Fischer’s Cove, which has become our BVI home. The logic is that since it costs so much and is such a hassle to get to the BVI, might as well stretch it out! Our family cottage had been recently painted, and was really nice. Spent all Saturday getting settled. Walked up to Buck’s market in the yacht harbor, and stopped for a drink at the new dockside bar. The harbor was less than half full, a big change from our last trip. While sitting at the bar I was asked if I wanted to buy some “smoke”. When I declined, the salesman and I had an interesting talk as to how the economy has even affected his business. Apparently if he has no buyers he uses up his supply, which can really cut into your profit margin! We wanted to buy a couple chickens from Brutus at M&M bakery, but when I walked up my evening was ruined……….it was closed-up! And I mean GONE closed………so we ended up cooking in. I saw Brutus driving later in the week, but didn’t get to ask where he moved to – I HOPE he just relocated?

Sunday 6/28 – got up and walked to Mahogany car rentals. While they may not have been “officially” open, a man was there working on his own car, and he set me up. He couldn’t ring up my credit card that day, but we trusted each other – all worked out fine. Spent some time on the beach at Fischer’s, hit the Laundromat, had lunch at the B&T, spent more cash at Dive BVI, then back to Fischer’s for sundown cocktails in the library.

Monday 6/29 – our last day in the islands, and it was great! After breakfast we drove up to Mad Dog’s. It has changed since Edith left, but Lilia is great and the view has not changed at all. Son Andy wanted to run back to the hotel, so we waited a while then drove down. Changed clothes, and ran into Eric (ecm56) in front of the hotel – his TTOL hat gave him away. Had a nice chat, and then went over the mountain to meet Saildoggie and the TTOL flotilla at Leverick Bay. Had a great time as always, got to spend some time with Lucky the parrot – as well as Rick and Kim. Doggie was his usual self, “You ready?” being asked too often. Finally headed back over to pack and get ready for reality.

Tuesday – up and off to the ferry dock, left the car there. Speedy’s got us to Road Town on-time, bought our tickets for the Fast Ferry and then had a snack at Cappricio, the place is a must-do. While waiting BVIYC had a cab deliver a pair of shoes I had forgotten on the boat – again, their service is excellent. Ferry actually got us to Charlotte Amalie on time as well. Took a cab to the airport, where I had the joy of buying a LOT of Mount Gay at the new inside duty free shop. If purchased there, you are permitted to carry it on with you, and it does not count against your carry-on limits. That was important, as we never EVER check anything. Flights home via Delta were uneventful, and arrived back in Maryland around midnight.

Highlites: Our first time using BVIYC exceeded my expectations. Great boat, personal service, we will use them again. Cane Garden Bay- I know there has been some negative publicity lately, but the two days we spent there were fine. Getting to meet GeorgeC1 and Malcolm, as well as George’s friend Harry and families was a lot of fun. Quito’s acoustic show Thursday night was great. Spending father’s day at Soggy Dollar was priceless. I met several TTOL members there, and I apologize that due to painkiller fever I don’t remember your names. Had a nice chat with Jerry as well. Sitting there listening to Reuben is to me what we come here for. Diving with Jeff McNutt of Dive BVI on the Rhone was definitely the most fun Andy and I have ever had on a dive. Cannot wait to do it again. Spending time at Fischer’s Cove really has become like being home. Hanging out with Doggie and Rick and Nick at Leverick was a blast as well.

Lowlites? Other than being detained on the Fast Ferry on the way over and no M&M chicken, I got nuthin’! This was as close to a perfect trip as we can ever ask for. Hopefully we’ll see more of y’all in 2011.

"Confidentially, I've had these problems with the tides before"