RonDon 34
pat 34
Member Spotlight
Beacon, NY
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
aqualad7, pat
Who's Online Now
50 registered members (dmwieser, GW248, DanS, Manpot, samboaty, marisol, xrayman67, BeachKitten, Rbailey, Freedom21, SammyM, firstcharter, rock13, GeorgeC1, PML, Bill_S, LESXM, vetteguy, Sandsailsun, Julius, cobradvm, boucharda, TomB, 48ref, Todd, SXMbeacher, RobR, Coffee, George1234, Maitre_Jim, NCSailor, RichiT, road3682, Sunnykm, 16 invisible), 147 guests, and 158 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
US VI and Puerto Rico
2 hours ago
Sweet Christine and I stayed with Capt. Jay and Deb at their Mahogany Run, St. Thomas condo. We spent our first full day on St. John via the people ferry. Cruz Bay has come a long way in the six months since Irma. It is obvious that a huge amount of work has gone into recovery and there is a lot more work to do.

First impression of STJ? It is very ready for visitors. Maybe more ready for visitors than for residents. Many residents and villa owners we spoke with are six months or more from being back to normal. Many insurance claims have not yet been paid. There is enough inventory to meet the demand of visitors for now. I am concerned whether there is enough long-term rentals for the required number of service industry staff.

We ran into Kirk from the VIOL forum at Cruz Bay Landing. It was great to catch up! He is busy this year after having a great year last year with his painting and construction work. It was great to catch up with Boo at ] CBL. She and Wade have a lot of work to do with a house that sounds pretty much destroyed. Cruz Bay Landing Todd's buddy Kenny had lunch there that day.

We caught up with VIOL forumite EagleRayLover/Leslie from the Coral Bay side for a Sunday Fun Day at Water Island. Leslie and Steve have a very cool thing going at Pelican Beach in Coral Bay, St. John, taking reservations starting October. Water access!

We caught up with VIOL forumite Tracey in WI and husband Juice at the airport. Their new villa in Coral Bay is ready for visitors, Into the Mystic. I know this property from previous visits and it has an awesome setting and easy access. I am certain it will be a favorite.

We are definitely back for Halloween with Big Red and Becky.

Cheers, RickG
0 26 Read More
British Virgin Islands
3 hours ago
Soooo glad we came.
Arrived 3/10 Hodges Creek, Dream Yacht.
Lagoon 52, 6 cabins, 5 couples.
Applause to Dream Yacht and the new base managers - Isabelle and Tierry (most likely mispelled).
They are now operating from the east end of the marina while barge and crane are still hoisting boats off the bottom and docks. I think they said they have 40 yachts in the fleet.
Can’t say enough - I received an email about a month after Irma confirming our yacht was destroyed but a new one would be moved from Antigua.
One year old with only minor complaints- this yacht does not have an ice maker!

Departing the marina, there are several submerged yachts and an upside down Lagoon 52 awaiting the derick. Ashore in Tortola, roads are rough. Airport was fine. Signs of Irma everywhere.

On the water - just magnificent!
Easy to find mooring balls at the Indians on a Sunday afternoon. Plenty of room in the Bight. Pirates Bite up and active. Fritters and Pain Killers galore
Easy to pick up a ball at the caves
The volume is way down from one of busiest weeks- Spring Break.
No Yacht Week revelers.

Stopped at Sopers Hole and lunch at Pussers.
They’re open with a less complete menu but it looks like they did the minimal

to reopen and then stopped. It’s like walking through a construction (destruction?) zone. The market has been swept clean but is missing everything inside and windows, doors and walkway. The docks are mostly gone. De Best Cup (coffee) was open but nothing else. Customs has been cleaned up but still operating from a tent. Very sobering and glad we went in.

To have a choice of mooring balls on Great Harbor at 4pm was indeed a treat. Foxy’s looks nearly fully recovered though the dock is not as long as it was and the brewery has, evidently, not reopened.
Christine’s Bakery begins the customs house looks undamaged and the pastries and muffins good as ever.
Customs house looks intact. All other businesses either just reopening or under construction including Corsairs and the dive shop. Fuel docks open and friendly as ever.

Anegada - Arrived before noon on a Tuesday to a full mooring field but found food holding east of the field up by the channel to the ferry pier. The island looks untouched except for some telephone cables still across the roads. Loblolly and Cow Wreck are beautiful as ever and the bars are fully operational though cell coverage is spotty as is the service that permits credit card usage. Potter’s by the Sea served up an awesome lobster meal and a great DJ to continue the party.
Dean Wheatley rented us a vehicle (always a pleasure to deal with) and arranged a charter excursion to see the flamingoes and conch grounds at the east end of the island. Great captain and crew in the 28’ launch - Nigel.
Highly recommended!

Baths were flying a red flag - strong currents and onshore surf- one death reported by the parks official - the Friday before we arrived. And people are still paddling and swimming in! We pulled into Leverick and took a cab ride back to the Baths. At 3pm we almost had it to ourselves. One other party from Phoenix followed us through. Top of the Baths nearly 100%.

Leverick is still under construction but in fabulous shape with the only Spa open that we found. Shops and restaurant all open.

Truly blessed to be here.
My crew of newbies are loving it and seeing it through their eyes, even in its “still recovering” state has been a treat for my wife and I.

Don’t postpone or go elsewhere.
They need your patronage and you won’t be disappointed!

Willing to answer questions but may not check back until next week.
We’re only halfway through the trip!
0 112 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
4 hours ago

It's been a long time since I was up there, but I didn't remember there being that much space up there? Sounds exciting though!
0 158 Read More
Southern Caribbean
Yesterday at 10:46 PM
A good non-fiction book to read if you're considering a visit to Curaçao (do it!) is "Curaçao For 91 Days", by Michael Powell & Jürgen Horn. They write a travel blog about their travels around the globe where they spend 91 days in various places living among the locals. Published in July 2016 and available on Amazon. Also available on Kindle and in Kindle Unlimited for borrowing, if you are a member. Lots of good tips on beaches, restaurants, and historical places to visit. Good stuff!
0 49 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 04:05 PM
You start seeing the same post/questions/topics appear over and over again... I see this as a positive sign!
0 279 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
03/15/2018 10:13 PM
Glen Carty will be receiving an award for the work the station did during and after Irma.

I know for a while it was the only source of information many of us got!
0 246 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
03/15/2018 07:10 PM
An article in the Daily Herald from the chief prosecutor.
0 466 Read More
Southern Caribbean
03/15/2018 03:59 PM
I'm having a hard time finding a car rental for a day in Aruba (need the car delivered to cruise port), does anyone have any suggestions for a rental agency that could help me out? Thanks
0 69 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
03/15/2018 02:15 PM
2018 Carnival: Starts Friday, March 16 with the jump-up and party at Soggy Dollar Bar!
Starts at 8PM Kim Sha Beach... Route: down Simpsonbay stretch, Airport road over the causeway, Union road, Welfare road, ends at Kim Sha Beach w/ a road to Carnival after-party at soggy dollar bar!
0 188 Read More
United States & Canada
03/14/2018 03:07 AM
Our 12 yr Daughter wants to go skiing next week, she recently learned on the mountains of Kansas City, thinking of Banff to avoid the Spring Break crowds of CO, Have had time to do ZERO research, so anyone have any ideas? We dont care about the quality of accommodations, as who spends time in a room. I have a condo in Calgary we can use, so can just stay there and ski in town, but would like to show a Caribbean girl what a mountain looks like after it has come out of the ocean.
0 91 Read More
General Photo Gallery
03/13/2018 09:31 PM
Cinque Terre
0 58 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
03/13/2018 08:18 PM
For those on the island this week there will be a Jump-Up with TG Band & O-ezy Ottley performing. Starts at Kim She Beach and ends at Soggy Dollar Bar.
0 379 Read More
United States & Canada
03/13/2018 01:19 PM
We are planning on spending 3-4 days in Quebec in early May. Never been. Any suggestions on things we should do / not miss?
0 63 Read More
03/13/2018 07:38 AM
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

$5,000 discount on any 7-night charter aboard AZURIA, valid between May 19-29, 2018! Don’t delay on this INCREDIBLE OFFER on this luxury 3-cabin crewed yacht with the fabulous crew of Mark and Sally. Highly recommended!
0 52 Read More
General Photo Gallery
03/13/2018 02:48 AM
Panna Cotta
0 32 Read More
Southern Caribbean
03/12/2018 04:28 PM
Anyone have any guidance on villas in Barbados? We'd tried to do a Villa in St Martin last fall but that fell through and the couple we were to travel with suggested they'd heard good things about Barbados.

We'd probably look at VRBO for 2-3 bedroom villas but don't know anything about the area. Any areas not safe or we should stay away from? Any we should specifically look at?

If we go the villa route instead of a resort, are there plenty of beaches to explore or restaurants to try? It might not be till October till we get there, are places open then?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
0 77 Read More
British Virgin Islands
03/10/2018 06:33 PM
Jump to new posts Emoti's [by mike]
where the heck is my dog emoticons?? i will never be able to post again !!!
0 223 Read More
General Photo Gallery
03/10/2018 04:19 AM
World Pictures
0 61 Read More
Southern Caribbean
03/09/2018 10:09 PM
This trip was scheduled after Irma forced us to
cancel our scheduled Nov. trip to SXM. We traveled on AA from PHL to Miami to CUR. Paul from The Natural, a c/o resort where we stayed, picked us up at the airport. We arrived at the resort and had a delicious fish dinner prepared by his girlfriend, Tatjiana. We also had breakfast at the resort.

Our bungalow, is very comfy and has a beautiful view from the porch. There is a nice pool. Only the bedroom has a/c, but the weather has been warm - highs in low 80's and very, very windy. We've yet to need the a/c.

We're in the middle of the island, but there is a nice supermarket, the Centrum, nearby. We had lunch in Punda, the main shopping district. Very tasty chicken burrito. Other than that, all of our meals have been at our unit. We'll be here for another week and now that we know our way around better, we plan to try some more restaurants.
0 113 Read More
General Photo Gallery
03/08/2018 08:02 PM
Photos from Carnival on Carriacou
0 57 Read More
General Photo Gallery
03/08/2018 02:16 PM
Drive up beach bar
0 60 Read More
03/07/2018 10:12 AM
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Luar - 3 king cabins, all en suite, full a/c
$2,500 discount on weekly charters taking place by Aug 12, 2018 PLUS free sleepaboard before start of charter. Luar is available in The Grenadines between Jul 17-Aug 12, 2018.
0 67 Read More
SXM Photo Gallery
03/03/2018 12:26 PM
Took these shots at the Regatta 0n March 2nd.
0 127 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
03/02/2018 02:02 AM
3.6 magnitude earthquake 17 km from Gustavia, Saint Barthelemy
a day ago...UTC time: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 21:29 PM
0 410 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
03/02/2018 01:55 AM
Daily Herald link

Something to keep in mind for those on island.
0 195 Read More
Page 1 of 2 1 2