Member Spotlight
JMSH
JMSH
London,Ontario CDN
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
tamaraJ
Who's Online Now
30 registered members (jagmansr, BaardJ, botnot, RichiT, bluejacket, BeachKitten, steve74, Nauticalyssa, SXMbeacher, SandS, Island Girl, jenniboston, Maria_and_Steve, geomo, tomKat, drcabral, OllieEh, johnhill, jazzgal, jphart, 4Driver4, ronandcarla, Langford3733, bbeach, yourcraig, 5 invisible), 142 guests, and 379 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
St. Maarten - St. Martin
10 minutes ago
We drove by on the way to dinner tonight, yellow tape up on the front entrance. And yes, regardless, I have to assume they will have to replace all food except canned stuff..
19 969 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
12 minutes ago
Originally Posted by silverfox82
..... because it's a food store, the stock will have to be replaced, hello insurance company, just what they need!

Exactly. And I'm sure there's no power to the building any longer, so everything in the coolers, freezers, etc is going to be spoilage. Produce...gone.Wow....that's
an insurance claim nightmare.

Two claims within a year? Premiums? lol
19 969 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
13 minutes ago
OK. I'll be around! grin
42 1,864 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 11:53 PM
A "tall mechanism with lots of water coming out" is generally an indication that the firefighters have gone into defensive mode and have given up on saving the structure. Cutting the roof is standard practice to vent the horizontal heat and flames vertically and then advance a hose line into the building to extinguish the fire. My guess is there was not major damage however because it's a food store, the stock will have to be replaced, hello insurance company, just what they need!
19 969 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
Many thanks Carol. I'll get my stuff together & will be in touch.
42 1,864 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by NickR
Hi George

Are you by chance coming up Leverick Bay way on your travels? If you are any chance of stopping by Office Max or Home Depot and getting some bubble wrap 100ft x 12 or 18 inch. Only if you are passing? None on Tortola and Speedys don't have a ferry yet

Hi Nick, I would have been happy to however we were at Leverick last Friday and just arrived in ATL on the way home.
G
52 3,417 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 11:31 PM
A few years ago I brought back 16 LT for the two on us and when questioned was sent over to inspectors to pay duty. Duty came to $23 and change. Customs agent was mad that I was sent over to pay as it was more work for him than what was collected. Now we only bring back 6-10 depending on my mood and have always sailed through Miami or CLT. It's not a big priority for them.
5 285 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 10:53 PM
When?
1 112 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by PelicanPirate
Ive generally stayed under 2 bottles of stuff plus some ma dou dou.

But what happens if i bring home 4 bottles of french wine/champagne?

How high is the duty? Based on the bottle or cost of the bottle?

We have brought as many as 6 bottles back through Charlotte, and have always declared them, and have been waved through with no problem.
5 285 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 10:35 PM
Hi Minys,
Just sent you a message.
4 776 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 10:16 PM
Thanks all. Have someone in italy bringing wine and i wanted them to pick up french champagne at charles de gaule on way home. This helps and they will bring both.
5 285 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 09:42 PM
Planning an itinerary is part of the fun. Since this is your first trip be mindful that flexibility is the key once you get started. Weather and other situations may impact your ability to hit your points. Also don’t rush it once you get there. The important thing is to have fun not make every stop on your agenda. If you are having a particularly great time somewhere consider staying a second night.
1 73 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 09:01 PM
We've got our first bareboat BVI cruise scheduled so I've become rather obsessed with our itinerary.

For those that have cruised the BVI more than once - do you play it by ear or still keep a pretty strict itinerary?

I think I've sorted mine, but I understand that weather and other factors could cause some on the fly changes.
1 73 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 08:51 PM
I've been following this group on Facebook, they put some interesting information on the clean up around the island. I thought you may be interested.

St. Maarten Nature Foundation
3 hrs ·
Nature Foundation Warns About Increased Potential for Large Scale Sargassum Invasion

The St. Maarten Nature Foundation is warning of a potential significant influx of Sargassum seaweed in the coming days: We have been coordinating our monitoring efforts with our partners in the region and based on weather predictions, sattelite imagery and aerial surveys there is a significant amount of the seaweed headed in our general vicinity.

We have been really trying to work both with our partners in the region and with local stakeholders to monitor the situation and to find a way to control the amount of the weed washing up on beaches in the case of a significant influx. In the case of an influx we need to find a way to coordinate the removal of the seaweed with heavy loaders which causes serious risks to nesting sea turtles and hatchlings while the grass itself can be a hazard to the animals. Uncoordinated seaweed removal can also cause significant erosion on affected beaches.

Economically speaking there is a serious effect that seagrass can have on the beaches of the island. As soon as the grass is cleared it is being deposited back on the beach by the wind and currents. We will continue to work towards researching the effects of the grass and some possible solutions but at this point Sint Maarten, like many islands in the Caribbean, are being heavily impacted.

Sargassum is a genus of brown (class Phaeophyceae) seaweed which is distributed throughout the temperate and tropical oceans of the world. Most of the Sargassum Seaweed lies concentrated in the Sargassum Sea, a region in the middle of the North Atlantic Ocean surrounded by ocean currents. It is bounded on the west by the Gulf Stream; on the north, by the North Atlantic Current; on the east, by the Canary Current; and on the south, by the North Atlantic Equatorial Current.

Sargassum first plagued the Caribbean and St. Maarten in 2011 and 2012, with the Foundation having to warn swimmers to avoid swimming in Guana Bay in August and September due to the large amount of Sargassum Weed and many beach front residences and hotels having to continuously clean washed up Sargassum.

The Nature Foundation will continue to monitor the situation and will issue releases as information becomes available.
2 517 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 08:21 PM
Linda and I will be down island soon. Not on Hallucinations (she is still a motorboat) but on a tiny 35 called Limin' Times. Hope to see some of you all.
1 112 Read More
General Caribbean
Yesterday at 08:19 PM
Yes, that was in the thread title. wink
2 43 Read More
General Caribbean
Yesterday at 07:18 PM
Dominican Republic, aka DR?
2 43 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 07:17 PM
I liked your observation about Corsairs, "the bill at Corsairs was kind of insane". Pretty funny since sailors funded the rebuilding, with Corsairs "Go Fund Me" account to the tune of over $100,000 US. Geeze.
20 1,144 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 06:49 PM
Article posted above said it was contained and employees were inside assessing the damage.
19 969 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 06:05 PM
I get ya. I agree on the glass.. I think that Bikini is supposed to be open by now, but we haven't been over to Orient recently.
15 916 Read More
General Caribbean
Yesterday at 06:00 PM
Is this the right forum?

Was wondering if anyone has any experience staying with RCI in the DR?

Which area is most desirable? Considering a quick 5 or 6 night trip around 4th of July.

Thanks!
2 43 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 05:51 PM
I know what you mean. I was looking for a tall mechanism with lots of water coming out & more vehicles as well. Hope it's contained & not a major setback to the Carrefour. Really nice store! Loved it in January.
19 969 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 05:47 PM
That isn't stain, the heat from the fire below it is burning the paint in that area of the roof.
19 969 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 05:45 PM
Great trip report and pictures. Glad to hear that Chez Leandra is once again serving food. It was closed the entire time we were there from June 3rd to 17th. We did eat lunch once at Sun clubber and it was good, however when we heard the food was prepared at Coda we walked down the beach to have lunch. Same menu, less in price and the food is on real plates and cutlery. I much prefer my wine in a glass rather than plastic. Haha ! That being said I think what Sun Clubber is doing is genius. Great service for people who do not want to leave the beach.
Thanks for all of the excellent pictures and for taking time to post.
15 916 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 05:38 PM
Here is a pic...
10 1,087 Read More
Page 1 of 103 1 2 3 102 103