pat 42
Todd 40
jazzgal 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
32 registered members (Mark2dBVI, jeepers, jaxon60, Memphré, magpie, Midsouth, TravelHat, eightzerobits, GeorgeC1, sugarae, xrayman67, LINNY, SXMScubaman, Standrea, ericlut, SXMBND, Kennys, bailau, CaribbeanCanadians, jazzgal, 12 invisible), 1,005 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
British Virgin Islands
14 minutes ago
It is a Navigare boat. Mooring ball snapped due to sea conditions. Mooring on red flag days…….
3 76 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
33 minutes ago
You mean AA not AAA.😉
26 418 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
50 minutes ago
Spirit landed via the Hills but for now two AAA flight delayed till in the morning and Im waiting on West Jet , prayers .
26 418 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
53 minutes ago
Welcome and do enjoy your vacation.Was on the same flight for the first time with the temporary arrival hall and got messed up with the time due to having to check in one of my two carry ons . Sa la vie .
1 51 Read More
British Virgin Islands
1 hour ago
here is another picture...
3 76 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
1 hour ago
There’s video on FB of Spirit NKS100 landing on runway 28, what some people call “wrong way”. You can also see the track for NKS100 in your favorite flight tracking app.
26 418 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
1 hour ago
Arrived Tues March 26. Flew WestJet nonstop from Toronto. Delayed in takeoff but they took on extra fuel to go at 24k ft across the US to avid turbulence and make up time before climbing to 37K once we got to the Atlantic. It worked, but we circled SXM a little. Landed, ramp to deplane and bussed to terminal. The accordion line for immigration was empty so walked through to luggage quickly, where we waited for about 40 minutes for luggage. Just behind us was AA and Air France? Both WJ and AA were in the luggage area – one belt – at the same time.

Found Wilfred Brooks, lovely as always and off to our unit in Orient beach. Easy drive thanks to Wilfred.
Jeannie from ShopnDrop pre stocked our unit, love her service.

Island looks green and lovely.

First night drinks and nibbles at Peter McCool. Liked the vibe, helped by the Stones playing as we walked in. Had my first Guinness Suger. Better than can, close to a real pull.

Wed was spent at Chez Leandra. Great food and the beach view never gets old.

For dinner went to the deli in Orient – On Dirait au Sud – named for a Nino Ferrer song. Excellent choices. Picked up some antipasto, meats, cheese, and pistachio pesto – yum – Fabulous – taking a jar of the pesto home.

Today grabbed some gelatos from the new shop in Orient – Soursop and dark chocolate. Interestingly they had a CBD gelato – a first for me.
We are here for 3 weeks and the weather is great. AAA is dropping our car Monday.
Never gets old!

John & Bev
1 51 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
1 hour ago
Landings are Prohibited on runway 28 at the airline I fly little 737s for. Max tailwind on runway 10 would be 10kts. Challenging day. IKD about Spirit
26 418 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
1 hour ago
Wow. Since it's not mechanical but weather related they are probably on their own for lodging expenses.
26 418 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
1 hour ago
Delta and JetBlue are still at SJU. Air France is almost at SXM now.

Edit: Air France landed. But the airport just posted that wind conditions are expected to remain bad until 4am. So I suspect the Delta and JetBlue passenger are sleeping in Puerto Rico tonight.
26 418 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
1 hour ago
eightzerobits--agreed, rather than being somewhere else.
26 418 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
1 hour ago
How many big birds were able to land today after being diverted to San Juan?
26 418 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Whoa!! Another reason not to book Spirit!!!

I’m not sure which was “worse”… spirit taking the hillside approach or American making a near limits tailing approach. I’m sure both were perfectly safe by the rules but both also make me squirm a little as a passenger. I’m sure they’re all happy to be on the right island though instead of diverted.
26 418 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by Zanshin
Which aircraft does Spirit use? They must have done a VFR approach, as I don't recall seeing any ILS or VASI (ILS would need 3 degrees slope and those pesky mountains are in the way)

They were flying an A321neo. I think everyone was flying VFR approaches. At least that’s all I recall hearing from ATC when I was listening.

https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/NKS100/history/20240328/1455Z/KFLL/TNCM
26 418 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
2 hours ago
With regard to the Beacon Hill wreck, is there any resolution to get that out of the way??
8 355 Read More
British Virgin Islands
2 hours ago
Wind out of the WNW at 15 knots. WTF were they thinking?
3 76 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
2 hours ago
Whoa!! Another reason not to book Spirit!!!
26 418 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
2 hours ago
They flew in from the Hillside , kinda scary for such a big plane.
26 418 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
2 hours ago
Which aircraft does Spirit use? They must have done a VFR approach, as I don't recall seeing any ILS or VASI (ILS would need 3 degrees slope and those pesky mountains are in the way)
26 418 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
2 hours ago
I would have added Grenada, Nevis, Carriacou, St. Vincent, Dominica and other islands if it weren't for the stipulation about quality healthcare close by. And all the French island meet the excellent healthcare criteria but fail on the "English understood" one.
13 626 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
2 hours ago
The local nominally owns the boat, despite just having a verbal contract with the previous owner, so would be liable for the cost of removing the boat. But he's a local, and since he's not answering any queries, I'm sure he's lawyered up and will contest the verbal contract. The original owner is gone. So, the government will need to locate him, prove in court that he is the actual owner, and then extract the money or have to pay the salvage costs itself. The first is unlikely to happen. The Beacon Hill wreck is owned by a company which then went bankrupt so there's no money there. The owners are still quite affluent and evidently did not bother with the costs incurred by having insurance.

I think that the 10K$ cost is for marine salvage. The wreck is on the beach close to excellent road access for a truck and crane so I would think that it might be done for less (if a private person were paying, if the government is paying the estimates will of course be much higher)
8 355 Read More
British Virgin Islands
2 hours ago
Mondays can be tough check-in days at JVD. This past Monday it took me about 2-1/2 hours of wait time in the office, broken up by going back to my boat, then a long lunch and picking up my passports after processing. Started at 10:15am, had passports back in hand around 4:00pm.
15 695 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
2 hours ago
Spirit made the landing on 28. It was pretty shocking to watch.
26 418 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
3 hours ago
Typically it will be a 10 knot tailwind component maximum for the larger jets. I haven't looked at the approach charts, but I believe they can't land on runway 28.

update: Here's the chart that explains approach and missed approach: Jeppeson Chart
26 418 Read More
British Virgin Islands
3 hours ago
I got a report a boat broke free at the Baths...I couldnt upload the video
3 76 Read More
Page 1 of 100 1 2 3 99 100