Traveltalkonline.com Forums


TTOL Sponsors
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics41,962
Posts342,118
Members27,642
Most Online5,009
Jul 27th, 2026
Top Posters(30 Days)
RonDon 24
bran 23
kim 22
GaKaye 21
erb923 21
mahokid 16
Member Spotlight
jollymonsrv
jollymonsrv
So. Shore MA.
Posts: 1,854
Joined: January 2001
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Who's Online Now
9 members (mchirgwin, Rnd, sky607, paul2pam, NumberCruncher, Donaegada, Fred, 2 invisible), 533 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
SXM People Talk Jump to new posts
Hello from a new member MarlinSpark7781 9 hours ago
Hi everyone, I just joined the forums and finished filling in my profile. Looking forward to reading the St. Maarten discussions and learning from you all. My profile: https://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubbthreads.php/users/29588/marlinspark7781.html
0 25 Read More
Testing Jump to new posts
UBBCode probes - ignore MarlinSpark7781 13 hours ago
UBBCode probes v2 - ignore.
[img]https://example.com/a"onerror="TTODOM5[/img]
[img]https://example.com/a.png"onerror="TTODOM6[/img]
L1
"https://example.com/"onmouseover="TTODOM8"
[img]https://example.com/a.png?x="onerror="TTODOM9[/img]
0 18 Read More
Testing Jump to new posts
Signature render check 2 - ignore MarlinSpark7781 13 hours ago
Automated signature rendering test 2. Please ignore.
0 16 Read More
Testing Jump to new posts
Signature render check - ignore MarlinSpark7781 13 hours ago
Automated signature rendering test. Please ignore.
0 15 Read More
Southern Caribbean Jump to new posts
Re: Grenada worth it if not on boat? Zanshin Yesterday at 06:40 AM
I really like La Sagesse as a base. If you click on the picture below, you'll see some more pictures:

[Linked Image]https://zanshin-sailing.com/2023-07-25-la-sagesse-retreat/
4 529 Read More
United States & Canada Jump to new posts
Re: Western Michigan fans robbed in Ann Arbor TJTrippe 10/02/2026 02:28 AM
Agree, college sports are ruining their school spirit charm with transfers and cash.

It is hard to see how any regular, serious student can pay tuition for 4 years, go deep in debt, while watching a millionaire knucklehead classmate chase a ball and transfer in and out of schools and barely do any class work.
2 882 Read More
British Virgin Islands Jump to new posts
Re: Shocking Biras development plans knitsoftwear 10/01/2026 07:45 PM
Sorry that is 2001
8 1,140 Read More
British Virgin Islands Jump to new posts
Looking for owners time - May 2027 biminis 10/01/2026 07:36 PM
Hello,

I’m looking for one week of owners time on a 4 cabin/4 head CAT in May of 2027. I’ve chartered in the BVI many times and have used owners time through the moorings for many of those trips.

If any one has any time they wish to sell, you can email me at biminis@aol.com.

Thanks,
Ken
0 152 Read More
Southern Caribbean Jump to new posts
Re: Grenada worth it if not on boat? tangerine3 09/30/2026 04:05 PM
thanks l'anse aux epines beach looks nice, still planning but i'll check it out. I also have read people saying that Grenada always calls them back that is a good sign and I read a book called an "An Embarrassment of Mangoes: A Caribbean Interlude" that was a true story about a sailing couple that came back to to Grenada for years, sounds like i'll be just fine even at Grand Anse Beach Palace https://grandansebeachpalace.com that place so far is the only place that has availability when I have to be there. thanks!
4 529 Read More
British Virgin Islands Jump to new posts
Re: Shocking Biras development plans knitsoftwear 09/29/2026 08:31 PM
First year we went was 2021. We loved it. Went once or twice a year for quite a while. After what's his name from Michigan took over we started to hate it. They were just sucking it dry for Oil Nut Bay.
That is when we started renting a villa in Nail Bay. Quieter and we stayed longer.
8 1,140 Read More
Southern Caribbean Jump to new posts
Re: Grenada worth it if not on boat? Eva 09/29/2026 03:05 PM
It's been a while for me, but lately I've been having the urge to go back to Grenada. I've done both sailing charters and land-based trips. This time around, it would be land. I second La Sagesse and True Blue -- though the beach at True Blue is not as nice as others. In particular I've been eyeing La Luna on the southwest side of the island near Morne Rouge (aka "BBC Beach").

You might also look at the L'anse Aux Epines (Prickly Bay) area.

Would love to hear what you decide on.
4 529 Read More
British Virgin Islands Jump to new posts
Re: Shocking Biras development plans ggffrr11 09/29/2026 10:45 AM
I remember walking with several crew members along the pathway from Biras to Fat Virgin. There was a small sign along the trail which read "Iguana Crossing". I made the comment "like that's not for real". Then, a crew member pointed down to my feet in the middle of the pathway next to the sign. As if on cue, there was a large iguana which I was getting ready to trip over.
8 1,140 Read More
Southern Caribbean Jump to new posts
Re: Grenada worth it if not on boat? Jeannius 09/29/2026 07:25 AM
We loved Grenada when we were out there some years back. Our favourite large island in the Caribbean. It is a while back now so things may have changed but we loved La Sagesse. Well away from Grand Anse with a totally different feel. Lots of yachties stay there as it is very convenient for Grenada Marine boatyard and the hotel use to offer discounts to people having boat work done there and free shuttle buses. Another good place, just near the airport was True Blue Bay with the popular Dodgy Dock bar right there. As I said, it was a while ago so things may have changed but those would be my two go to places. If you want to go cheaper, then there are loads of friendly guest house type places along the south coast at Westerhall. I stayed at several but unfortunately can't remember the name of any of them!
4 529 Read More
British Virgin Islands Jump to new posts
Re: Shocking Biras development plans DanS 09/28/2026 11:08 PM
For us, part of the attraction of the Bitter End was always the ability to walk the trail to Biras Creek, and on to the Fat Virgin Cafe. It will never be the same without that.

By the way, the NY Times just had an article about marinas, and groups of marinas, being bought up by investment companies. For example, this deal:

https://www.blackstone.com/news/pre...afe-harbor-marinas-in-5-65b-transaction/

Apparently marinas are viewed as a scarce and valuable resource in a world with an increasing share of wealth concentrated at the top.

Dan cheers

P.S. I'm adding on because I just saw the message from MrEZgoin that must have been posted just before mine. The trail I recall was exactly that -- just a narrow dirt walking trail, certainly without any utility poles. Was it later widened to an actual road? When I was there last year there didn't seem to be any place to access it from the Bitter End. Used to be that you'd walk up the stairs near BEYC's pool, and that led to the trail.
8 1,140 Read More
British Virgin Islands Jump to new posts
Re: Shocking Biras development plans MrEZgoin 09/28/2026 11:08 PM
We have long enjoyed snorkeling the mangroves on the north side of Biras Creek bay. At some point (pre Irma?) there was a road cut just to the other side of the mangroves, with spoil pushed to the side and a row of utility poles. The poles disappeared and I think the road cut was abandoned.
However, I read that a new road has been cut in July (we haven't been since April) and I'm bracing myself for seeing this area (and Biras Hill) degraded and destroyed.
8 1,140 Read More
Southern Caribbean Jump to new posts
Grenada worth it if not on boat? tangerine3 09/28/2026 08:05 PM
Hello,

We are only doing land based trip and want to go back to mayreau it has been over 10 years and unfortunately this time around it has to be in high season, we usually go off season anywhere . . .we are looking mid january to late february. We want to fly into SVD take plane to union and water taxi over to mayreau then come back through Grenada. I have been looking on Grenada and the Grand Anse is unfortunately pretty full for those times and the hotels or airbnbs that are left don't look appealing to me. We are not high end and do not do all inclusive. Like airbnbs and/or boutique accommodations. I do see some other properties but they are not in walking distance to either beach. Is it worth it to rent a car and stay somewhere other than the beach area? Would be willing to do that if the lodging had restaurants, shops and bars nearby to walk to. Any suggestions? thanks.
4 529 Read More
British Virgin Islands Jump to new posts
Re: Pre-Christmas Crowds snmhanson 09/28/2026 07:56 PM
Thanks for the replies. We are locked into our timeline due to our daughter's college break schedule. Will try to do as much pre-planning as possible, though I'm sure we will also have exercise plenty of patience and be flexible.

On that note, my daughter's flight was already significantly changed by American Airlines after booking in just a few days ago. Had her flying SLC>MIA>EIS, but now the SLC>MIA flight is cancelled and she is getting routed through DFW. Still getting there the same day, but a longer travel day and arriving 10:00PM rather than around noon.
3 529 Read More
British Virgin Islands Jump to new posts
Re: Shocking Biras development plans Naxos 09/28/2026 07:17 PM
Yup! Toured the site last winter- big plans indeed. I fondly remember the low key yet elegant resort with great food in the very early ‘80’s with theThonnings at the helm .
8 1,140 Read More
British Virgin Islands Jump to new posts
Re: Shocking Biras development plans S/Y Mockingbird 09/28/2026 06:58 PM
YMMV but 2001 was peak Biras from our many experiences. A very special place back then. We may be slightly biased as one half of us is Dutch 🙂

This new development... 😑
8 1,140 Read More
British Virgin Islands Jump to new posts
Re: Shocking Biras development plans Manpot 09/28/2026 06:19 PM
I read the whole thing..heartbreaking
8 1,140 Read More
British Virgin Islands Jump to new posts
Shocking Biras development plans MrEZgoin 09/28/2026 04:52 PM
I recently received an email about Biras marina being added to a Spanish portfolio of superyacht marinas. Apparently there are big plans, not just for the marina, but also ONB style megamansions climbing up the ridge of Biras Hill.

This link shows some of what is proposed.

I advise not to open the link immediately after eating.

https://bellini.it/portfolio-articoli/biras-creek-marina-resort/
8 1,140 Read More
British Virgin Islands Jump to new posts
Re: Favorite BVI memories Fran 09/28/2026 12:20 PM
PerIwinkle, Great to see you on here again. Karyl and I don't get to go down there anymore but hold many wonderful memories of our trips and TTOL parties, both on island and here in the US. I don't post very much as I don't feel I have relevant info as it's been so long since our last visit, but I continue to 'lurk' if just to see what old friends are saying.

Cheers,
Fran
29 2,887 Read More
British Virgin Islands Jump to new posts
Re: Favorite BVI memories Manpot 09/27/2026 10:23 PM
Boy..do I miss you too..maybe think about coming solo and staying in my studio..I would truly love to see you
29 2,887 Read More
British Virgin Islands Jump to new posts
Re: Favorite BVI memories RickinAtlanta 09/26/2026 10:09 PM
Tamarind Club is where Belinda and I met you and Lance in the pool! 🍷
29 2,887 Read More
British Virgin Islands Jump to new posts
Re: Favorite BVI memories periwinkle 09/26/2026 08:29 PM
What fun reading about everyone’s memories! Lance (sadly passed away) and I began our trips in 1994, after choosing Tortola from a Fodor’s Caribbean Guide. Last trip was in 2017. We stayed on the hillside at LBBR our first trip. Loved the kitchen smells wafting up in the morning. We spent made years staying at the Sandcastle. Such good times! I loved Palm’s Delight ginger wine chicken, and the key lime pie. The cook told me how to make it. Loved how the waves came up to the sea wall there from 2 directions.

Some great TTOL parties, at Mal’s, Sebastian’s, and dinner for all of us at Paradise Club. Celebrating Sabrina and Mario’s wedding trip. We ran into them on the beach the day we arrived, just as their photographer was taking pics. Davide was their best man. He told them we said hi (us in bathing suits) and they invited us to their reception on this lovely patio at Quito’s sister’s place. Can’t think of the name. Sabrina charmed all of us here on TTOL as she valiantly practiced her English.

Did anyone else go to The Secret Garden at Josiah’s Bay? Great food and atmosphere. Banana rum shots. Yum. Stayed at Tamarind Club a few times and enjoyed their bar and pool.

So many fun memories. I haven’t kept up here in years, but so nice to see some familiar names. Great that folks are still making new memories!
29 2,887 Read More
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5