Originally Posted by cruzdoc
Thanks for the report UncleLuff! A couple of quick questions if you have a minute to answer as we are headed down there later this week.

- I'm assuming you anchored in Paradise Bay on Carriacou. How were the conditions overnight and was the holding good there? Also did you motor around to Tyrell Bay to clear out or dinghy in and take a taxi over from Paradise Beach? Do you know if they will

- Would you be comfortable headed over to Chatham Bay from Carriacou and waiting until the next morning to clear in to SVG over in Clifton? That seems a little risky to me I guess but certainly would save the hassle of going all the way over to Union just to clear in and back to Chatham.

-Seems like Salt Whistle is pretty crowded most of the time. Have heard they do not allow anchoring there anymore with their mooring balls in place. Is that accurate based on your experience?

Thanks for any help and would love to here a report from moore5678 too from your recent trip. Will give my own trip report as well upon return.

happy to help, see answers below:

1) Yes Paradise Beach on Carriacou, as for holding cannot say as we got a mooring ball in about 8 feet of water. Conditions were great not rolly but I think this would depend on the direction of the swell (it was east for us) As for checking out, we dinghy'd in to the beach and walked up to the road and walked until we flagged a bus. Tip: when they drop you off at the top of the hill its a steep walk down to the marina and the C/I office. DONT walk up the hill on the way back, follow the beach to the Lazy Turtle and get a taxi or continue your walk from there.

2) Based on the laid back feel of the island and having experienced it and done it, I would have no problem in doing this again. The C/I in union gave me know issues upon check in but this might have been because it was within 24 hours since our checkout. Do this at your own risk of course based on your level of risk tolerance!

3) I think you will be in off season, we were able to get a mooring ball no problem around 1:30 and there were lots of mooring balls available the next day. There were cats and a monohull that anchored in front of us (a big 60'plus cat charter with captain though so he knew where he was going and what he was doing). I have not heard anything about not being able to anchor.