Originally Posted by sail445
Originally Posted by TimS
Thanks for all the replies
I
nice if we all shared in the pain. I don’t expect that will happen, but it would be nice.

Tim

Tom, the situation with Corona virus is something that wasn’t predictable yet everyone and every business knows about the restrictions

While neither you, nor the charter company, nor the boat owner was responsible causing this pandemic. None anticipated it.

Were you not give opportunity to purchase "travel insurance" which likely would cover your trip cancellation? (And we highly recommend Travel Insurance on each quote.

The Charter BOAT owner, who counts on revenue to cover ongoing costs and rarely shows a profit, if given a refund (which per the charter contract is not refundable, and all parties agreed to prior to Covid 19), would be bearing essentially all the "pain" as the charter company would still have their commission, and turnover fees. And the charterer would have received their cash back.

Allowing carte blanche substitution for future date could prevent other charters to book, thus reducing revenue.

So I would suggest that the charterer should have purchased travel insurance.

I am working with my charterers by striving to offer several specific weeks at a later date, which should work out for all if all are somewhat flexible. Allowing Covid19 charterers to recapture their vacation which (at this time) is potentially being canceled due to a "fear of travel". Also allowing charter boat operator to satisfy the pro forma to make charter boat ownership reasonable. (Remember that many of the charter boat owners were hit hard in pocketbook by Irma as they had that financial pain(ie $$) all to themselves(ie all deposits were refunded and no revenue, combined with very unexpected expenses, made for tremendous losses). So I am doing this not because of a duty (based on the contract), but based on my desire to do more than my obligation, and I would appreciate the same if the table was turned.

Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (2022 Lagoon 46)
www.BareBoatBVI.com