We’re among the ever-growing numbers of would-have-been April visitors who were displaced due to Covid-19 and now we find ourselves looking at a planned November return and hoping that’s a wise move, and at the same time, hoping the trip will actually happen. Not suggesting anyone should agree or disagree but the last thing I would want to do in the next couple of months is get on an airplane to anywhere, including but not limited to St. Maarten. And in reading some of the comments of the realities of people who are currently there, both residents and visitors/property owners who opted to stay on despite the pandemic, I have to say I’m glad I’m here and safely ensconced in my own home.

My first thought is I wouldn’t want to take the chance of catching the coronavirus anywhere but certainly not on island, and beyond that, I also wouldn’t want to add to the burden of the island’s already under-staffed and under-equipped medical situations and thereby possibly taking services from those who rightly belong there and might need them.

Beyond all that, I can’t imagine being on island and not being able to plunk down on those soft white sands or enjoy the warm Caribbean ocean waters; I can’t imagine a trip where I wasn’t free to enjoy breakfasting on those wonderful island pastries on our patio or at the Yacht Club or other breakfast spots; and dining in general around the island from Rosie’s to Le Moulin Fou to Spiga and all places in between; I can’t imagine not having Jeannie Gee pre-stock my apartment or having to forage for groceries and once again, getting in the way of those who have no other options but to do so at this time. All the things we so enjoy, be they boat trips and activities, or evenings at our favorite watering holes - these things are not available right now, and as much as I want to help the people of the island recover from yet another disaster, what I don’t want to do is become a burden to them. I really want to be there but NOT at the expense of those who have no alternatives.

I don’t know what the future will bring but I know in my heart there will have to be serious considerations made before I board that November flight I’m currently booked on. And if there is any doubt in my mind about the island being back to what I consider normal, this might just be the year with no St. Maarten on my radar screen. sad sad

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."