There was a rough description of the exclusion boundaries on Noonsite. The boundary that they crossed was a line between West End point and the western most point on Jost. I think some confusion is that 1.5 NM inside BVI waters is not the same as being inside the exclusion zone. Latest seeming reliable info I have is they were "NE of Great Thatch about 1.5nm inside BVI waters starting to tack through the Narrows". That statement is a bit ambiguous but here is a worse case SWAG.

I plotted a line 1.5 nm north of the boundary as indicated on Imray A231 and a line NE from the center of Great Thatch and they cross about 1/4 NM inside the exclusion zone. That is just about where a cat on an ENE course would tack to make the Narrows. A mono would probably tack a little sooner.

Any legal hounds out there might find it interesting to review UN Convention on Laws of the Seas (UNCLOS) Articles 19 and 25. If this were to happen to someone with very deep pockets and a strong sense of principles (or retribution) he could cause the BVI government considerable pain.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. - Mark Twain