I can't speak for other Canadians, but from my perspective it is not paranoia.. and I would do almost anything to get on a plane anytime soon... I am out of pocket $300-$400Cad (depends on lab) for a Covid test, and upon my return to Canada my employer requires two more weeks of quarantine.. that's two weeks of no pay/use up more vacay. (for perspective a return flight precovid used to cost as low as $750)

The next issue is that our airlines either cancel flights (How long will the refund take? how many hours do I wait on the phone?), or the layovers are painful. During Covid, I am NEVER stopping over in the states to make a connection. Just not going to happen. Some flight paths do not give me an option, that is on the few days a week the airlines fly out of Toronto. For me, I have a 4+ hour flight to Toronto... and I refuse to stop anywhere that does not, well.. nevermind... I am not flying into the states prior to SXM. The risk is far to high. One stopover, is one to many during this pandemic, let alone two! (for perspective our land borders (between Canada and USA) are closed to tourism since March 2020.)

Then there is the health aspect. If I fall ill in SXM (and I know the risk is far lower than my hometown), I am at SXM health care's mercy until I recover. This is an unknown, and I feel more comfortable at my local hospital if I have to stay for an extended period. After all, we have free medical and I don't have to deal with travel insurance and other unknowns (financial, health, rebooking flights, quarantining once home, employer, to name a few).

So, the financial impact plus the hoops I have to overcome, makes that me, and those I know who travel, have chosen not to risk our health, our finances or our jobs.

On the other side of the coin, our airlines are offering covid insurance and Westjet is offering airport covid tests.. I have no information on the policy or process. Also, though I cannot confirm, I believe the airlines are only now offering refunds. Up until lately we were only offered credits.

I so miss OB. I would love to support SXM as SXM has delivered happiness in every one of my eight vacays but alas, it is not possible. Maybe sometime next year... but not at this rate. I do promise that my first trip after my two vaccines will be to support those in SXM who have done so much to support tourists over the years. The friendly island.

So you see, it is not paranoia, it is the process and the risks. It is complicated.

Stay healthy my friends. I think of you often and I wish you all the best. Someday, we shall meet again.

Bless!