We're back from our trip, and I wanted to give an update on my experience using the BinaxNOW Ag Card Home Test for reentry into the United States. In short, it worked well, and I'd recommend it to anyone traveling.

We bought four tests for three people using Optum.com. We bought the extra just in case something went wrong, but we only needed the three. The materials in the kit are essentially the same as what you'd find in the Binax tests available at Walmart. I'd used the cheaper, non-video monitored ones before, so the test itself was familiar. If you're considering this as an option and are curious, you could always just buy the $14 kit and try it out. If you're able to administer that one, you'll be fine with the other.

We downloaded the Navica app and created Emed accounts before we left the United States. When it was time to test, we just logged into Emed.com on our computers. The app is one way to receive results, but they are also emailed to you, so I think it would be possible to just skip the app completely if you're not comfortable with that. I'd still recommend creating your Emed account online before leaving, though.

The process of testing was very simple and a lot of guidance was provided:

1. We went to Emed.com, chose "start testing" from the home page, and then logged in using the Navica username and password we'd already created.
2. We answered a few questions about if we had an unopened test, if our hands were clean, if we had a photo ID, our airline, current location, and about the purpose of the test.
3. The next screen ensured our device was ready and tested the camera and audio on our computers. Steps 1-3 can all be done before actually talking to anyone, so you could definitely check your connection before you were ready to test.
4. Once that was done, we were connected with a representative that guided us through the test. The representative asked us to hold a QR code on the test up to the camera as well as show our ID. We then had to put the test on a flat surface and show them it was there. The next step was to actually do the test, which is all covered here: https://www.fda.gov/media/144574/download. It takes about two minutes if you've done one before. It may take a little longer if you're reading or following the on-screen instructions.
5. When the test had been administered, the representative started a 15-minute clock and then a video played about Covid while we waited. You can walk away from the screen, so you don't have to just sit there.
6. After 15 minutes, we were prompted by a beep to have the results reviewed and then clicked a button on the screen to get reconnected to a representative.
7. We then held up the tests to let them review the results and ensure the QR code matched up. Once that was done, the test was over.
8. The final step was receiving the results through email and the app.

In total, all three of us were able to test and get the results within an hour. We had two people testing at the same time on two different computers and then did the third test afterward since it was for our younger son and he needed help. Had we really been trying, we probably could have done it all within 30 minutes or less. We were able to do everything from our AirBnB, and were finished by 8 a.m. the day before we left.

At the airport the next day, we showed the Delta representative the negative results on the app. I think she was expecting a PDF version, which is what you receive via email, but she accepted the app results. Considering that, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the PDF version downloaded to your phone or at least easily accessible through your email. That's the only thing I would have done differently. We were not asked for any test results once we arrived in the United States.

Last edited by dvesc; 12/28/2021 04:00 PM.