Todd--whether it's improper to attribute bad motives to someone up front is another question, but I think the question is a valid one. It's different in policy when there is a line item for service charge on the bill. That's what I meant when I said that Tim wasn't addressing the current issue. I personally don't particularly like it, but I see that specific charge and I just move on and don't leave any more. When there's no line item for it, unless you examine the menu closely, you just 'assume' that you still need to leave your regular 15-20% on top. When you say, be educated about tipping policy, it gets real confusing when you have a french side policy being used on the Dutch side. Billy said that he knew that tips were included and he still tipped 15% on TOP of that. I would never do that in a million years. But I think there will be many folks who just don't pay attention and will tip their normal rate, on top of the bill. We will see how it shakes out in real life. ESPECIALLY how the servers handle it. We all know that servers now have often told customers that the specific 15% on the bill doesn't go to them, and question why people are not leaving any tip for the server.

Carol Hill