I am hoping that soon they will require some form of certification for these bareboat charters. I know it will hurt the industry financially, but it will keep things safer. It is required in so many other places in the world. At least one person aboard should be qualified and licensed to operate the vessel of its size, and tonnage.

Just last week, a brand new 45' beneteau from Moorings tried to anchor in Norman Island, right up the front of course... dragged, and was way too close to 2 different boats, (including mine). They had also jammed the windlass, and had no idea what they were doing. (at all)
I took pity and I offered to help them, which they quickly accepted. Moved them out to the end, far away from anyone else, anchored, and left them be. (No buoys left) In talking to them, only one person had any experience, which involved day sailing on a Catalina 27, about 15 years ago, for one summer.

But hey, it is only a $500 deductable, if anything happens... Hence the term, "Credit Card Captains"

Don't get me started about drinking and driving on the water....