I am completely with “tropicalfever” on this one. Anyone who operates a boat anywhere should be thoroughly familiar with the basics of the “Rules of the Road”. We don’t need to know day shapes, traffic separation schemes, or what the lights look like on a dredge not under command that is aground. There rules are many and complex but a simple understanding of the basics is necessary for everyone to have fun and be safe. I have provided some of the regulations and made some comments. My comments are in blue .

[color:"blue"]Here is a link to the “COLREGS” (International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea), otherwise known as the “Rules of the Road”. [color:"red"]COLREGS[/color] [/color] The COLREGS are the rules agreed to by most nations of the world. The International Rules apply everywhere unless specific rules have been created. The “Inland” section of the rules linked here pertain ONLY to certain designated waters of the US. These Inland rules do not apply anywhere else in the world. Each jurisdiction may create their own rules to be used in their own waters. I do not know if the BVI has established any of their own rules or if they use any special British rules. As a strictly anecdotal note, If an American operating a charter boat is involved in a collision with a BVI Belonger on a Jet Ski, it is highly likely the charter boat captain will be held at least partly responsible regardless of the circumstances that caused the collision.

It would be nice if each captain reviewed Rules 1-9 and 11-18 before operating a vessel anywhere. It would make them safer and allow every boater to have an enjoyable time.

COLREGS: Quoted sections may be only partial. Refer to the COLREGS.

Rule 3 -
(a) The word "vessel" includes every description of watercraft, including non-displacement craft, WIG craft, and seaplanes, used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water.
[color:"blue"]Therefore, “vessel” means everything from a stand-up paddleboard to a supertanker.
[/color]
(g) The term "vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver" means a vessel which from the nature of her work is restricted in her ability to maneuver as required by these Rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of another vessel. The term "vessels restricted in their ability to maneuver" shall include but not be limited to:

(i) A vessel engaged in laying, servicing, or picking up a navigational mark, submarine cable or pipeline;
(ii) A vessel engaged in dredging, surveying or underwater operations;
(iii) A vessel engaged in replenishment or transferring persons, provisions or cargo while underway;
(iv) A vessel engaged in the launching or recovery of aircraft;
(v) A vessel engaged in mine clearance operations;
(vi) A vessel engaged in a towing operation such as severely restricts the towing vessel and her tow in their ability to deviate from their course.
[color:"blue"]The fact that a vessel is larger or less maneuverable does not give it any special privileges. The fact that it is doing a specialized type of work is what gives it privilege.
[/color]
Rule 3(h) (h) The term "vessel constrained by her draft" means a power-driven vessel which because of her draft in relation to the available depth and width of navigable water is severely restricted in her ability to deviate from the course she is following.
[color:"blue"]“Severely Restricted” are the key words here. It is expected that the vessel operator will attempt to follow a route that leaves more than one option to deviate if a risk of collision exists.[/color]

Rule 5 Lookout
Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.[[color:"blue"]It has been established in some US court cases that a “proper lookout” cannot be maintained by the vessel operator alone. It may be wise to assign another crew member to perform lookout duties.[/color]

Rule 6 Safe Speed
Every vessel shall at all times proceed at a safe speed so that she can take proper and effective action to avoid collision and be stopped within a distance appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions.
[color:"blue"]In my personal observation and opinion, many vessel operators go much too fast in harbors and anchorages. This rule mandates that you must operate slowly enough to avoid a collision in all circumstances. A Jet Ski violating the rules by going too fast does not give the operator of another vessel the right to go too fast also.
[/color]
Rule 7 - Risk of Collision
(a) Every vessel shall use all available means appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions to determine if risk of collision exists. If there is any doubt, such risk shall be deemed to exist.

Rule 9 - Narrow Channels
(a) (i) A vessel proceeding along the course of a narrow channel or fairway shall keep as near to the outer limit of the channel or fairway which lies on her starboard side as is safe and practicable.
(b) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the passage of a vessel [ which | that ] can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway.
[color:"blue"]Both a Jet Ski and the majority of the vessels in CGB are less than 20 meters in length so neither is granted any special privilege here. It is also rare to have a vessel strictly under sail in CGB although it does happen. In any event, if a Jet Ski breaks the rule and goes too fast and/or cuts in front of you or does some other dangerous thing, it does not absolve you of the responsibility to try to avoid a collision. I stand by my statement to Clod in his post that I think instructing the crew to “ignore the jet ski, they have to avoid us” is dangerous and in violation of the rules. 2 dangerous operator actions do not cancel each other out, they make things twice as dangerous.
[/color]