I have done the USVI airport pickup many times. Works better when combining a long trip with stops in St. John. Generally, charter companies in the BVI require that you get your BVI cruising permits for the length of your charter. If you bring that with you to customs when re-entering into the BVI they will not charge you for the cruising permits you already have, but will charge you for the new people you are bringing in. Also, its cheaper to bring a boat based in the BVI back in than a US based boat. I remember the cost being pretty cheap bringing a BVI boat back in (about $20 if I recall) during low season when the cruising permit cost is $0.75 per person per day.

Also, if picking up people at the airport, Crown is nice, but if you don't mind using your dingy, Lindberg is the best. People get off the plane, 400yd walk to emerald beach where you can pick them up in your Dingy. I'm sooo jealous of the people that get to walk off a plan onto a provisioned, checked out, ready to go boat! It can get a little rolley in a mono, but definitely worth it if your not spending the night. I've spend the night on cats many times and the kids love the pool at the Emerald Beach Best Western and the resturant / bar is adequate for a non-boat meal.