We did the SVIs 2 years ago at Christmas. Very different from BVI in that it is a lot less crowded and not much of a bar scene. We spent Christmas Day at Culebrita (definitely a must if you feel comfortable getting in through the reef) and we were the only boat there. That being said, when I lived in Puerto Rico as a kid we had times when we would go to Culebrita and it was crowded and loud with Puerto Ricans on their power boats, rafted up and having a good ole time. We call this the Puerto Rican Navy and they don't just go to Culebrita, they can be found everywhere. If you are going the week of Christmas, though, you may not encounter them as they usually stay home with their families. We really liked the town of Dewey and had fun exploring there. It seems to be very much as I remembered as a kid. We chose to take a bus to Flamenco Beach (another must) due to the conditions on the north shore. This was a great day and we got a bit of the taste of the culture eating at the little food stands they have off the beach. Beer was inexpensive as well. Walk down the beach and check out the tanks. Would have loved more time to explore the south side of Vieques. When I was a kid we only really went to Green Beach on the northwest tip of the island because most of the island was not accessible due to the military involvement. I've heard Bahia de la Chiva is beautiful. We spent a day in Esperanza which is a nice little town with a boardwalk of cute restaurants and bars. We also enjoyed Palominos and Icacos.

Sue
s/v Ripple
Leopard 40

[Linked Image]