Member Spotlight
Jim_Laraine
Jim_Laraine
Maryland
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
moxie
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Jeannius, 1 invisible), 446 guests, and 76 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations #177436
12/08/2018 12:43 AM
12/08/2018 12:43 AM
S
SunsetDude Offline OP
Traveler
SunsetDude  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Currently planning my first sailing trip to BVI for June 19. Need some recommendations.

- Is it recommended to fly to St Thomas, or Beef Island ? For those of you who have done this before what do you recommend ?
- If you fly through St Thomas are the water taxi's a decent alternative if the ferry times won't work ?
- Recommendations on Hotels/Resorts to stay post cruise ?

I'd like to fly through St Thomas, and take the Water Taxi - but honestly am worried about the stress/logistics.

Thanks !

BVI Sponsors
Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: SunsetDude] #177437
12/08/2018 02:08 AM
12/08/2018 02:08 AM
C
CherylWegner Offline
Traveler
CherylWegner  Offline
Traveler
C
If your getting on a boat, and you have the option of boarding in St. Thomas, that will save you a whole lot of trouble.

Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: SunsetDude] #177443
12/08/2018 09:18 AM
12/08/2018 09:18 AM
Massachusetts
maytrix Offline
Traveler
maytrix  Offline
Traveler
Massachusetts
We haven't been in two years, but we went regularly before that. We went through St Thomas a couple of times and flew into Beef Island the rest. Given the two choices and costs to fly in not being too much more expensive, we always found flying in to be a better experience.

Matt
Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: SunsetDude] #177453
12/08/2018 11:12 AM
12/08/2018 11:12 AM
Toronto, Ontario
gordaguy2 Offline
Traveler
gordaguy2  Offline
Traveler
Traveler
Toronto, Ontario
Part of the planning depends on where you are starting from - is it less expensive to fly to STT than SJU?

GordaGuy2
Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: maytrix] #177463
12/08/2018 01:05 PM
Ohio, USA
I
IFlyVFR Offline
Traveler
IFlyVFR  Offline
Traveler
I
Ohio, USA
Originally Posted by maytrix
We haven't been in two years, but we went regularly before that. We went through St Thomas a couple of times and flew into Beef Island the rest. Given the two choices and costs to fly in not being too much more expensive, we always found flying in to be a better experience.
I have same question as OP, STT or EIS for a sail departing from Tortola. Matt, is the better experience due to the easier logistics? I'll have 2 less experienced travelers in tow so the easier it is to herd them about the better, even if the cost is somewhat more.

Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: SunsetDude] #177464
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Manpot Offline
Traveler
Manpot  Offline
Traveler
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Flying from the west coast (SFO) St Thomas is always a lot cheaper. Provided you get to STT by early afternoon ferries should not a be a problem..water taxis always seem very expensive to me. As for post sailing lodgings it really depends on your budget. You can stay on the beach at "Rhymer's" or down the road at " Sunset" for around $100 a night or stay in maybe the best boutique hotel in the Caribbean, The Sugar Mill, for about $400 a night. There are also rental villas...we are hoping out large beachfront studio will be back and rentable by then for about $160 a night..

Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: SunsetDude] #177466
12/08/2018 01:54 PM
12/08/2018 01:54 PM
Georgia
C
cruzdoc Offline
Traveler
cruzdoc  Offline
Traveler
C
Georgia
I think this question always boils down to time and money. What is more important to you? We have done both ways and always find flying into Beef a little more expensive but usually a better experience regarding getting to the boat and even getting away from the dock the same day on occasion.

-Most places from the US, you have cheaper flights to SJU and more options but then you have the logistics of missing flights if your flight is late and you book separately with Seaborne or Cape Air to Beef. That is less of a problem if you book via one airline as I think American has a partnership with one of them.

There are private charters such as Fly BVI who will meet you when your plane lands and take you straight to Beef from either SJU or STT if money is not an issue and you want the quickest experience. We have done this several times and love it but can't always justify the expense. But it is oh so nice to walk off your plane and have them get your luggage and take it to their plane and be headed to Tortola in less than 45 minutes of arrival to SJU. You get a nice panoramic view of the islands too. We do this from STT sometimes as well.

-Flying into STT gives you more options with public ferry, private water taxi, and private air charter but typically less flights to choose from and more expensive flights in our experience. If you get a comparably priced flight between STT and SJU, then I would choose STT every time due to proximity and options personally. We have had good experience both with private ferry and public ferry.

Having said that, we are taking a late flight into SJU in February, staying overnight and taking the first Seaborne flight at 07:00 the next morning to Beef so we can get provisioned and get off the dock that afternoon. The rest of my crew is coming in later that day to STT and taking a private water taxi to meet us at JVD. Bottom line is find what works best for you and crew regarding the balance of timing and expense. That has been different for us on every trip.

Oh and I don't think you have much stress with your option of STT and private water taxi. I think that may be the best option as the water taxi can be scheduled to your private group and really lessens the concerns for logistics in my mind.

Last edited by cruzdoc; 12/08/2018 01:57 PM.
Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: IFlyVFR] #177479
12/08/2018 04:33 PM
12/08/2018 04:33 PM
Massachusetts
maytrix Offline
Traveler
maytrix  Offline
Traveler
Massachusetts
Originally Posted by IFlyVFR
Originally Posted by maytrix
I have same question as OP, STT or EIS for a sail departing from Tortola. Matt, is the better experience due to the easier logistics? I'll have 2 less experienced travelers in tow so the easier it is to herd them about the better, even if the cost is somewhat more.

For us, there were always a few factors. First and foremost, I never found the ferry experience to be enjoyable. I think we took it two times and both times we came back on a Sunday and the music was blaring. Went outside to get away from it and it was just as bad if not worse. That may have changed or may have just been a sunday thing as it was church music.. The customs lines were always a pain though.

We have global entry, so flying in and out always seemed to be a better experience. No wait in customs on the return and arriving, especially on Cape air which is what we used the majority of the time, even customs on entry to EIS wasn't bad at all. Never minded have a couple hours in San Juan either since it always gave us time to eat. And prior to us travelling with my son (who turns 4 in Feb), we would even take some red eyes BOS-SJU and the first flight the next morning, making a noon start on a Saturday possible - not at all possible via STT.

Price however can be steep at times, so as much as we prefer to fly via EIS, we will look at the options via STT. I know last I checked, they were both fairly expensive and not a significant savings going via STT. Another bonus of the SJU to EIS flight - the views. I've got some amazing pictures from those flights.

Matt
Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: SunsetDude] #177481
12/08/2018 05:46 PM
12/08/2018 05:46 PM
S
SunsetDude Offline OP
Traveler
SunsetDude  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Thanks for all the responses... this is what I was looking for. The prices vary quite a bit - we are flying from West Cost (SEA) and I've seen prices where they are the same sometimes, or a $400 difference. It sounds like the Ferry can be an ordeal but can be a way to save money.

On Hotel for after I am looking at Secret Harbor (in St Thomas) or Gallows Point resort or an Air BnB. Sugar mill looks great but the price is up there ($900) and they didn't strike me as kid friendly.

Thanks Again !

Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: SunsetDude] #177483
12/08/2018 06:32 PM
12/08/2018 06:32 PM
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
Originally Posted by SunsetDude
Thanks for all the responses... this is what I was looking for. The prices vary quite a bit - we are flying from West Cost (SEA) and I've seen prices where they are the same sometimes, or a $400 difference. It sounds like the Ferry can be an ordeal but can be a way to save money.

On Hotel for after I am looking at Secret Harbor (in St Thomas) or Gallows Point resort or an Air BnB. Sugar mill looks great but the price is up there ($900) and they didn't strike me as kid friendly.

Thanks Again !

I fly from SEA at least once a month so here is how I now do the trip. I do a "multi-city" trip with Delta. On Thursdays, I take a ~2pm flight from SEA to Atlanta and spend the night at one of the airport hotels. The next day I take the 1st flight to either SJU or STT depending on price. If I go to SJU, I try to get InterCaribbean to EIS because they are typically cheapest ($119 each way if you're lucky). If the best fare is to STT, you arrive in plenty of time for the ferry. On the return, I can do the whole trip I 1 day. Lately I've been taking a 12pm flight from EIS to SJU. Then ~3pm flight to ATL and connect to the last SEA flight. Gets me into SEA around 11:30pm.

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
reservations@coconutbreezevillas.com
www.coconutbreezevillas.com
Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: SunsetDude] #177517
12/09/2018 11:58 AM
12/09/2018 11:58 AM
Massachusetts
maytrix Offline
Traveler
maytrix  Offline
Traveler
Massachusetts
Originally Posted by SunsetDude

Don't forget to factor in the ferry costs as well. $400 a person difference round trip, I'd go through STT. $400 total difference round trip and I'd go through EIS. It is worth paying more, but within reason of course.

Matt
Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: SunsetDude] #177550
12/09/2018 08:01 PM
12/09/2018 08:01 PM
NY
Thistle Offline
Traveler
Thistle  Offline
Traveler
NY
Suggest that you fly into STT and consider chartering from a base on St. Thomas. CYOA (10 minutes from airport) has a great fleet of new boats, monohulls and cats. You can forgo the time and cost of taking a commercial ferry and sail your boat yourselves to the BVIs and maybe enjoy St. John along the way. Olga's Fancy is a great place to overnight enroute. They have a pool and a 4 minute walk to restaurants, deli and also CYOA.

Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: SunsetDude] #177554
12/09/2018 08:48 PM
12/09/2018 08:48 PM
Hilton Head, SC
Phlynns Offline
Traveler
Phlynns  Offline
Traveler
Hilton Head, SC
We find flying to STT is not that big of an ordeal if you stay on STT the day you arrive and the night before you leave. Lessens the stress of making a ferry or flight. Our choice for a hotel is Olgas Fancy. Olgas is minutes from the ferry dock with a pool. Rooms are clean/nice, proprietors are great and there are many restaurants/bars within walking distance.

Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: SunsetDude] #177567
12/10/2018 12:30 AM
12/10/2018 12:30 AM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
If you want to sail in the bvi, then charter in the BVI. If you want to sail in both usvi and bvi, then that’s different.

Last edited by warren460; 12/10/2018 12:30 AM.

Warren S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 50 (winner of best crewed yacht under 55 feet at the St. Thomas crewed yacht boat show).

https://www.cyabrochure.com/ebn/2307/pdyrX/6642/4///
Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: warren460] #177574
12/10/2018 07:33 AM
12/10/2018 07:33 AM
Saint Thomas, USVI
CaptainJay Offline
Traveler
CaptainJay  Offline
Traveler
Saint Thomas, USVI
Originally Posted by warren460
If you want to sail in the bvi, then charter in the BVI. If you want to sail in both usvi and bvi, then that’s different.

Not to derail the thread but no it isn't any different. If you fly to St Thomas you are going to ride around St John and Tortola on some kind of boat. Your choice a Ferry or a modern sail boat. When you start talking about hotels on either end. Ferry's, Private Water Taxi's or more expensive air fair into Beef Island. All of that time and money can be spent sailing. First night sleep aboard in St Thomas, three hours to Jost or West end the next day. It still puts you sailing in the BVI's sooner than almost any of the other options. You also just might find along the way that St John is one of if not the nicest islands in the Virgins. #notdetroit

[Linked Image]

That is still a better outcome for most people than planes, trains and automobiles. Even with the higher customs fees. That money is either going to customs or the Ferry Company anyway.

PS Don't tell anyone about St john it is our little secret. If your nice I will tell you about Megan's Bay and Water Island. I have been sworn to semi secrecy about a new floating restaurant that may or may not be opening in Hansen Bay. Before anyone asks it is not the Willy T.

Last edited by CaptainJay; 12/10/2018 07:38 AM.
Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: CaptainJay] #177584
12/10/2018 09:03 AM
12/10/2018 09:03 AM
Staunton, VA
socamon Offline
Traveler
socamon  Offline
Traveler
Staunton, VA
One advantage to chartering in the BVIs is the option of provisioning on line. I have not read here about any such option in the USVI. I can’t imagine what a pain it would be to rent a car then spend hours trying to provision for one or two weeks of the charter.

Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: SunsetDude] #177601
12/10/2018 10:46 AM
12/10/2018 10:46 AM
Panama City Beach, Florida
xrayman67 Offline
Traveler
xrayman67  Offline
Traveler
Flying into STT is not always the cheaper. April 2019, we are saving $405 per person R/T flying into EIS vs. STT.

Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: SunsetDude] #177701
12/10/2018 08:56 PM
12/10/2018 08:56 PM
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
MarkS Offline
Traveler
MarkS  Offline
Traveler
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I have sailed the BVI seven times. For all but two I flew from NJ to STT, usually landing in the early afternoon and taking the 3pm ferry. Coming back I have always caught the 10am ferry from Road Town to catch a mid-afternoon flight home from STT. This has been the cheaper option all seven times. I have never personally had a major problem with the ferries but I have read plenty of posts on this board from people who have had ferry delays that made them miss their flights. Flying into Beef Island is more expensive but definitely less stressful. I prefer it when the cost isn't too much more. For my trip next summer I paid considerably more to fly into EIS. I'm traveling with a newbie and my 8 year old son and I decided to pay for the convenience. You really can't go wrong either way.

Mark Shichtman
"Live for Today!"

[Linked Image]
Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: SunsetDude] #177840
12/12/2018 10:59 AM
12/12/2018 10:59 AM
Long Bay Hill, Tortola, BVI
Pineapple Offline
Traveler
Pineapple  Offline
Traveler
Suggestion for post charter stay:
We have a couple of nice places for a good rate in June. Would be happy to have you.
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6000680

Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: SunsetDude] #177841
12/12/2018 11:00 AM
12/12/2018 11:00 AM
Pineapple Offline
Traveler
Pineapple  Offline
Traveler
Suggestion for post charter stay:
We have a couple of nice places for a good rate in June. Would be happy to have you.
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6000680

Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: SunsetDude] #179430
01/02/2019 04:52 PM
01/02/2019 04:52 PM
S
Shifty Offline
Traveler
Shifty  Offline
Traveler
S
I wish I'd seen this thread a couple of weeks ago while the discussion was going hot. But for what it's worth, I'll humbly weigh in. We have chartered the BVI 20+ times over the last 30 years and have used a number of different charter companies out of both St. Thomas and Tortola. But the vast majority of our trips have been with CYOA out of Charlotte Amalie. We're headed back to CYOA in February. Here's why:
1. Not a huge fleet, but terrific, and at competitive prices.

2. Extraordinarily friendly and skilled staff, with terrific personal attention.

3. It's almost always substantially cheaper to fly to STT (for us) than EIS.

4. We love sailing, so we don't mind getting ourselves to the BVI one bit.

5. St. John is one of our favorite islands, and it makes a terrific first night/last night option.

6. Super provisioning options, either through CYOA directly, Fresh Foods (which we have used with great results), or self-provisioning near the CYOA base.

7. Clearing in and out of customs at JVD is (usually) a breeze.

8. Although I assume other charter companies are offering the option as well, we really like CYOA's sleep-aboard option for night of arrival.

Meanwhile, it's been a couple of years since I've followed this site. Great to be back and looking forward to getting down to the VI!

Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: SunsetDude] #179598
01/04/2019 07:49 PM
01/04/2019 07:49 PM
Dana Point
C
captdennyj Offline
Traveler
captdennyj  Offline
Traveler
C
Dana Point
We also have been bare boating the BVI for around 35 years, next sailing vacation will be # 17 in May 2019, Our 3 rd bare boat charter with Conch. The rest were Moorings and Sunsail.

We are flying in to STT.........LAX - MIA -STT. And then ferry over to Road Harbor. We will break up the trip a bit and relax at an inexpensive hotel at St. Thomas and then take the first ferry the next morning, to Road Harbor. Also, we usually spend one or two nights in a hotel on Tortola. This trip will be one night at the Nanny Cay Hotel. We will have an early boarding at Conch at 4:30 pm the day before we depart road harbor for our two week BVI sailing vacation.

Our previous trips, we went thru SJU....the airport terminal and at the airport hotel . What a mess. And probably still are.

Then we flew CAPE AIR from SJU to EIS for a cost of $ 650.00 each. 45 min flight in a twin cessna. Sea Bourne was also expensive , but undependable . We tried a private charter company, to fly from STT to EIS, but no none answered the phone or replied to emails. I have been flying since 1967 to 2005 as a career .

I have flown professionally as a flight instructor , charter pilot, corporate pilot, and fighter pilot instructor for air combat U.S.A ( 5 and 6 g dogfights. ). Total time 6500 hrs,/35 yrs or so. I love flying in general aviation aircraft, and with Cape Air, usually sit up in the right seat with the PIC. (Pilot in Command.) Unfortunately due to cost of $ 1300.00 ( for Erica and I to fly SJU to EIS, Cape Air, who was always on time, and fun. , or with Seaborne, who has terrible reviews, , or a private charter outfit that will not return my calls or email. Plus going thru SJU airport , which bad. Not going to happen .

PLAN B.

This year 2019, we are taking the early ferry STT to Road Harbor, for around $ 60.00. The water taxis are also very high in cost. And as mentioned, we are going to be SAILING the BVI for two weeks, and a private water taxi is a waste of extra dollars for us.

there fore we are gong to keep it simple:

* American Airlines LAX - MIA - STT.

* STT Ferry to Road Harbor. Tortola.

* Taxi to Nanny Cay in a few minutes.

Of course, we are flying across the entire U.S.A., and not everyone headed to the BVI are on the same flight plan. And some are chartering out of STT., USVI. So there itineraries will be different.

We have some wiggle room between arrival at STT, and taking the ferry to Road Town, and checking in to Nanny Cay Hotel for a night and some good time kick back, before our early boarding of the Jeanneau 36i, at Conch Charters, Road Harbor. Keeping life smooth .

The early boarding at 4:30 pm allows us to load and store all of our provisions from Riteway, just a few yards down the road from Conch

And, then, we will be going thru our own personal checks of all of the vessels systems, rigging, and inventory at that time. Sleep on board, We will be ready the next morning early for our chart brief which should be very short, 17th BVI trip, and also the boat system check out. We have sailed the jeanneau 36i, several times with the moorings and sunsail, and conch.

By doing our own pre checks, we have gone thru all of the systems ourselves before the staff briefer, and that saves time, but we have not sailed the jeanneau 36 for a couple of years and need a refresher.

Next stop, sail over Cooper Island, and the adventure is on.

Again, this will be our first ferry trip from STT to Road Harbor, I think Native Son not sure ) and we are looking forward to relaxing and enjoying the ride. The $ 1300.00 savings , not using CAPE AIR, to us is substantial, and will buy a boat load of good times ashore.

That is our plan, only. Others will have totally different ideas, and those will be perfect for them.

Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: SunsetDude] #179975
01/07/2019 05:31 PM
01/07/2019 05:31 PM
W
Woodman Offline
Traveler
Woodman  Offline
Traveler
W
I have, in the past, usually flown to STT and ferried.

This trip I am thinking I will fly into SJU a day early, stay in Old San Juan, and catch an early flight to EIS the next morning.

Not sure how much of a disaster San Juan is....traveling in late June.

Flights from Sju to EIS are about $100 one way.

Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: Woodman] #179993
01/07/2019 06:59 PM
01/07/2019 06:59 PM
Memphis, BVI, CT
R
RatmansWife Offline
Traveler
RatmansWife  Offline
Traveler
R
Memphis, BVI, CT
San Juan is fine. We usually overnight there (six trips in past year). Twice now we have stayed at the AC Condado Hotel, which I would highly recommend. It’s one hotel back from the beach, but you can use the Marriott beach across the street. AC has a terrific rooftop bar and breakfast area. About two blocks down the street is Cayo Caribe, a great Puerto Rican restaurant.

We used to stay at the airport hotel for convenience, but post-Irma it got very expensive for nothing.

We use Cape Air if it’s part of a United ticket, but otherwise we are happy with Seaborne. InterCaribbean’s luggage allowance is too strict for us.

Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: RatmansWife] #179999
01/07/2019 07:18 PM
01/07/2019 07:18 PM
xrayman67 Offline
Traveler
xrayman67  Offline
Traveler
Originally Posted by RatmansWife
San Juan is fine. We usually overnight there (six trips in past year). Twice now we have stayed at the AC Condado Hotel, which I would highly recommend. It’s one hotel back from the beach, but you can use the Marriott beach across the street. AC has a terrific rooftop bar and breakfast area. About two blocks down the street is Cayo Caribe, a great Puerto Rican restaurant.

We used to stay at the airport hotel for convenience, but post-Irma it got very expensive for nothing.

We use Cape Air if it’s part of a United ticket, but otherwise we are happy with Seaborne. InterCaribbean’s luggage allowance is too strict for us.

We too are flying into SJU, but late April before our bare boat in BVI. We were thinking of staying at the Sheraton in Old San Juan. Now you have me thinking about AC Condado! Does anyone have any knowledge about the Sheraton?

Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: xrayman67] #180093
01/08/2019 01:40 PM
01/08/2019 01:40 PM
Toronto, Ontario
gordaguy2 Offline
Traveler
gordaguy2  Offline
Traveler
Traveler
Toronto, Ontario
If you have the money spend a couple of days in SJU and go to the El Convento hotel - majestic old convent - great courtyard and lovely rooms with a roof top pool.

GordaGuy2
Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: SunsetDude] #180173
01/09/2019 02:16 AM
01/09/2019 02:16 AM
San Diego
K
krafty81 Offline
Traveler
krafty81  Offline
Traveler
K
San Diego
We did the San Juan- Beef Island flight thing. Southwest flies to San Juan and we used miles. Used American miles to get to Tortola. That worked well. I recommend Marriott Courtyard in San Juan near the airport. Beautiful hotel on the beach. You guessed it - used points. My only recommendation is to pick up your beverages at Tico's yourself on the way to Road Town or Nanny Cay. They were 1.5 hours late for our charter which delayed our departure a bit.

Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: socamon] #180177
01/09/2019 07:54 AM
01/09/2019 07:54 AM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
Originally Posted by socamon
One advantage to chartering in the BVIs is the option of provisioning on line. I have not read here about any such option in the USVI. I can’t imagine what a pain it would be to rent a car then spend hours trying to provision for one or two weeks of the charter.

A car isn’t necessary, a supermarket is right up the road from CYOA if anything you might want to take a taxi back to the boat for ten dollars.

Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: sail445] #180207
01/09/2019 12:09 PM
01/09/2019 12:09 PM
Toledo, OH, USA
Orange_Burst Offline
Traveler
Orange_Burst  Offline
Traveler
Toledo, OH, USA
Originally Posted by sail445

A car isn’t necessary, a supermarket is right up the road from CYOA if anything you might want to take a taxi back to the boat for ten dollars.

If you are chartering for 10 days with 8 people that is a lot to put in a taxi. We order 40 - 1 gal jugs of water, 15-18 cases of beer, 6-10 bottles of booze, 10 bottles of wine.... that doesn't include the food yet. That is a lot to put in a taxi.

Colleen

[Linked Image]

Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: Orange_Burst] #180209
01/09/2019 12:44 PM
01/09/2019 12:44 PM
Eastern MA
T
tothedogs Offline
Traveler
tothedogs  Offline
Traveler
T
Eastern MA
You can pre-order beverages and they will be on the boat when you arrive.

Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: tothedogs] #180210
01/09/2019 12:56 PM
01/09/2019 12:56 PM
Toledo, OH, USA
Orange_Burst Offline
Traveler
Orange_Burst  Offline
Traveler
Toledo, OH, USA
Originally Posted by tothedogs

That would make a whole lot of difference, thanks.

Colleen

[Linked Image]

Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: Orange_Burst] #180227
01/09/2019 03:01 PM
01/09/2019 03:01 PM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S

Originally Posted by Orange_Burst
Originally Posted by sail445

If you are chartering for 10 days with 8 people that is a lot to put in a taxi. We order 40 - 1 gal jugs of water, 15-18 cases of beer, 6-10 bottles of booze, 10 bottles of wine.... that doesn't include the food yet. That is a lot to put in a taxi.

In your case I agree, 40 1gl jugs and18cs of beer does change the logistics 😁

Re: Planning first trip to BVI in June. Looking for recommendations [Re: tothedogs] #180232
01/09/2019 03:26 PM
01/09/2019 03:26 PM
Okla
ScurvyD Offline
Traveler
ScurvyD  Offline
Traveler
Okla
Originally Posted by tothedogs

Works well for us.

I'd like to be a jelly fish, cause jelly fish don't pay rent.