Member Spotlight
RickG
RickG
St. John, USVI
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
SXMNorm
Who's Online Now
31 registered members (Kennys, Beansbbq, sunmantwo, KenW, GeorgeC1, lbksxm, sailor2009, xrayman67, Manpot, fabila, IWIWSE, BillDauterive, JandIrene, CJIMI, pl3, tpcook, MikeBiondo, pedalpusher, KirkB, JeanneB, PML, 10 invisible), 999 guests, and 138 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Relocating Internationally! Tips & advice welcome #30037
11/06/2014 11:39 AM
11/06/2014 11:39 AM
O
Offandaway Offline OP
Traveler
Offandaway  Offline OP
Traveler
O
Hi Everybody. I've been pretty quiet on the forum because some big changes have come about in me and my husband's lives and we have decided to take an opportunity extended to us and move to the south of England! I'm American and he's English and some really exciting job opportunities have come about for him to work in and around the south east and for me to work in Southampton.

We are currently sorting my visa now and should be ready to go by the summer! I'm wondering from those who have relocated, how did you go about finding a home? We know we want to live in Bournemouth (or just near there). We have been to England (and this area in particular) together many times to visit his family and have a pretty good idea of what we want in terms of houses but I'm still undecided if we should wait to buy or get it all sorted in the coming months so we can just get right on with our lives when we get there. Here is just an example of things in the area ( http://www.palmersnell.co.uk/forsaleoffice/Castle-Lane/1249 ) and we are hoping that something perfect comes along for us.

Any advice, or tips for a relocating couple? We have children, but the youngest has just moved out this year (good timing!). I'm very excited but overwhelmed all at the same time!

Sponsors
Re: Relocating Internationally! Tips & advice welcome [Re: Offandaway] #30038
11/06/2014 01:45 PM
11/06/2014 01:45 PM
Devon, UK
salica Offline
Traveler
salica  Offline
Traveler
Devon, UK
I am not good at my indepth knowledge of the mid south of England but would suggest that before buying a property you actually rent somewhere to begin with. This way you will actually get to know the area better and have more time to find where is right for you. Rentals in UK should be readily available (except for the fact that Bournemouth area is, obviously a holiday area and some rentals may only be available for short term lets as these bring in more income). However I rally would suggest you go down this route. It is all too easy to think you know the area you want to be and then find that you have made a very expensive mistake as there is something wrong with the area that you didn't realise at first.
The basic time period for rentals in Uk is six months. At the moment in the British market a house purchase takes in the region of six weeks minimum to three months plus to complete. Estate agents (the name given to property sellers) might tell you different to this, but that is the reality. I know several people who have bought and sold properties recently and even when there is no chain and money is organised, nine weeks is the shortest period I have heard of in the last year. Others might say this is not true, but it can be a tricky business when the truth is not always told!
The New Forest area, near Bournemouth is particularly beautiful, and we did look to relocate there a few years back. Unsuccessful as we were unable to sell our current property at the time. Be aware that transport in this region is not brilliant! OK, you can get to London by road or rail, but not suitable for daily commute as very, very busy, and very, very expensive.

Good luck with your search. Don't dismiss renting. It is a common enough option and properties of all types and prices should be available. I hope you will be very happy. If you want any other advice on UK living, PM me.

Re: Relocating Internationally! Tips & advice welcome [Re: Offandaway] #30039
11/08/2014 06:00 PM
11/08/2014 06:00 PM
Devon, UK
salica Offline
Traveler
salica  Offline
Traveler
Devon, UK
OMG. I have just looked at that estate agents' details. They are appalling and you must be horrified. Please, please, please try other agents. These photos are very poor and the properties appear dire. They might be true and realistic, but if so the price of properties in this area are way too high! For the price stated I would not even consider any of these houses. Although to be fair, I would not expect to pay less than £500k for a reasonable 3 bedroomed property in the overall area close to Bournemouth. .

If these prices prove to be realistic for the area and too high for you, look further to the west, away from London, there is always a dividing line where property prices drop considerably. For example we found that Winchester was such a line. Eastwards you could easily pay £100K more than ten miles to the west.

Rent, rent, rent whilst you are considering areas and becoming cognisant with local prices. I remember here that one couple thought our house too highly priced and subsequently bought a property in a village only two miles away. Once they had moved, they very quickly learned that they had made a major mistake, our village had so many more facilities and safety factors even, well worth the extra £s. They were extremely unhappy and quickly tried to resell the property. They have now lost several thousands of pounds and moved completely out of the area. They realised, far too late, that local knowledge is essential.

Be wary. Good luck. Living in England can be a fantastic place and south England is beautiful.

Moderated by  Eric_Hill