July 1st, 2006
Sure, it’s all fun until someone puts a liver out…

The Pelican. Changing rooms took WAAAY longer than advertised. At 9 AM they knocked on the door and gave us new room keys. However, the new room guys did not get their keys until 11 AM. We were told that after 10 AM, we were charged to be in the room. So for an hour, imagine if you will, a bunch of cranky kids sitting in the Caribbean sun.. OK, so it’s WAYY better than any day back home. Next time I come here (note that), I’ll be staying somewhere I can stay in the same place the entire stay. Plan ½ day for switches. Next time, I send the family to the beach, while I do the switch.

Our first destination, since it got to be NOON, was the Sunset Beach Bar, on Maho bay, where the lowest approach airplanes I have ever seen. I took a lot of video, and had a quick split lunch. Splitting is both good for portion control, and the fact that like others, I am a little outraged at the prices. Let’s see, I can stomach $8 Certified Angus Triple Cheeseburger, but if I do my math right, I paid $16 for two of them, plus 4 sodas came out to $21 (Is that $1.50 a drink?). OK, so far so good, but when I got a refill on the Coke, she said $3. I said “You charge for refills?” She replied they did, and I said Is it too late to get TWO of the $1.25 drinks instead. She just rolled her eyes on went on.

Mental Note, Next trip will be to “Guy’s Driftwood Beach Bar”. Everything I read about this makes it look like a better deal, and despite what I read on TTOL, it’s only 150 yards from SSBB. I’ll check it out and report.

The Kids LOVED playing on the beach, and I got some cool pictures of Ryan SCREAMING at the top of his lungs as a 747 flew 60 feet above his head. It’s really not to be believed.

SSBB does play the air traffic control channel though, that part is cool!

After that, we headed out to Cole Bay overlook.

Can you believe that Remy and mom did NOT want to get out of the car at the Cole Bay Overlook. Ryan and Dad had a couple of minutes of Dad and son time to look at the Simpson bay overlook. WOW, Are the Crazy religious people odd. See our Pictures.

Next we headed into Philipsburg. Dad seems like he knows how to drive this island, at least until it comes time to go back OUT of Philipsburg. We went into Philipsburg, and drove Front street, as there were no cruise ships in. We didn’t stop today. We’ll go back. Our destination today was Rima’s, the store that seems to retail at Wholesale prices. Having traveled most of the US, and had my share of Tacky Tourist Places (read Virginia Beach on July 4th), I have to say that Rima’s has some of the best merchandise and prices I have ever seen. Quality stuff, not the 3 for $20 t-shirts I saw most tourist places.

So, a “C” and a half later, I am now in the market for another piece of luggage. (People at work may stop reading here). Cool, and I may stop back by for another trip to pick up some gifts.

Anyway, we looked the day was slipping away, so we decided to visit the local Garnd Marche grocery store, after a quick trip to COST YOU LESS, which was like Sams. Both of which I drove to without directions, thus proving I have researched this place WAAAY too much. Anyway, I proceeded to get lost on the way back to Simpson Bay after leaving there and ACE HARDWARE (Quick stop for a fan). Ended up back at Rima’s TWICE! (Round-abouts (traffic circles) are cool). Went back and unpacked and hung out on the balcony, then ventured out to Lido’s.

Highly recommend the Ribs there. Smoked Baby-Back ribs, I told the kids were Aardvark and Giraffe. (More for me). Went back to Lay Bay and watched the sun go down, which was really cool, as a 15 minute Caribbean storm made it really nice. I think I could love it here.

Ate ribs and watched the kids play in the ocean,. As the last bit of light tooko us into oblivion. Walked a bit on the beach and hunted for hermit crabs, then back to the pool, and blissfull rest.

For a little escape and a lot of insanity:

http://joslinsrock.blogspot.com/