Member Spotlight
islandgem
islandgem
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Oceanwaves22, redroses27
Who's Online Now
15 registered members (StMartinFan, Todd_Melinda_K, louismcc, Manpot, GeorgeC1, xrayman67, beachy, hokiesailor, nevar37, CanuckTravlr, Fitzhughlaw, 4 invisible), 937 guests, and 163 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Help with Ferry and Provisions #98085
05/22/2016 05:28 PM
05/22/2016 05:28 PM
Sumter, South Carolina
C
Curtis Offline OP
Traveler
Curtis  Offline OP
Traveler
C
Sumter, South Carolina
Wheels up in 25 days and looking to group for some info on ferry and provisioning. The ferry: Looks like ferry schedules for STT/CA to RT vary depending on the site. Will probably call ferry companies to confirm current schedules but does anyone have any info on best choice for ferry to RT if my flight arrives (hopefully) in STT on a Thursday at 12:52 PM? Would like the first available ferry and it looks like plenty of options for later in the afternoon. Is 45 minutes enough time from landing in STT to make it to ferry dock at CA? Is the RTFF "package" with round trip ferry fare and taxi on each end a good idea, or go with advice in some of the posts here and not pay for any ferry in advance? Any danger of ferry not having 8 available seats if we have not purchased tix in advance? Was planning to call Kevin in advance for taxi to ferry dock but have seen some of the posts about charges for him to pick up fares at airport. Big difference in price, or just as good to grab cab at airport without reserving in advance with Kevin? Don't mind paying some extra for peace of mind and good service. Provisioning: Will be ordering all beverages from Riteway for delivery to boat at Footloose. Is Riteway close enough to Footloose base that my 7 crew and I can walk to pick up remaining provisions? Riteway as good a choice as any other? Or should I have Footloose/Moorings provision beverages? Finally and most important - does anyone know if there is anywhere we can rent a guitar in RT for the week? Thanks much for any assistance.

[Linked Image]
BVI Sponsors
Re: Help with Ferry and Provisions [Re: Curtis] #98086
05/22/2016 06:53 PM
05/22/2016 06:53 PM
Michigan
rhans Offline
Traveler
rhans  Offline
Traveler
Michigan
Curtis – Relax, that’s a pretty in-depth post so I’ll try to hit the high spots.

First and second. Take the first Ferry available from CA to RT and never book round trip or expect one of their taxi’s to meet you in a timely fashion. They can’t keep the boat on time.

Third, the only reliable source of ferry operation that particular day is Kevin,

Fourth, bite the bullet and text Kevin with your flt# and leave it to him. It’s worth the premium.

Fifth, Have your heavy items delivered to the boat and walk to Riteway to get the rest, Taxi back

Re: Help with Ferry and Provisions [Re: rhans] #98087
05/22/2016 08:29 PM
05/22/2016 08:29 PM
GJ, CO S/V Long Overdue
sail2wind Offline
Traveler
sail2wind  Offline
Traveler
GJ, CO S/V Long Overdue
as Rahns says, what time you arrive is not cast in stone, so take the first ferry leaving. Calling the ferry companies in advance is a waste of time. I have never seen anyone turned away from a ferry, so reservations are not required. The Riteway by Moorings is like a U.S. supermarket. We like buying our own produce, meats, and deli stuff. Walking the isles we always find some fun appetizers.

Re: Help with Ferry and Provisions [Re: sail2wind] #98088
05/22/2016 09:09 PM
05/22/2016 09:09 PM
Sumter, South Carolina
C
Curtis Offline OP
Traveler
Curtis  Offline OP
Traveler
C
Sumter, South Carolina
Perfect and thanks. Will be calling Kevin