MIDiver 49
bailau 47
ecm56 46
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
11 registered members (toast, Billtjw, IWIWSE, SXMBND, michaelj, SANFILIP, stevel13, Jeannius, 3 invisible), 54 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
St. Maarten - St. Martin
4 minutes ago
Originally Posted by CanuckTravlr
I agree. Peaceful protests are one thing, but this is nuts. If they continue down this path, they will ultimately only harm themselves. The last thing a tourist destination wants is to be seen as "unsafe". If the tourists stop coming or the cruise ships sail on by, the money that drives most of the economy will dry up. If they think they are hard up or oppressed now, they haven't seen anything.

Visitors have lots of other choices. They want to feel safe and they want to be able to relax and enjoy their vacation time. Those fomenting the unrest really need to study the hard lessons learned by the Jamaicans in the 1970s, when political unrest and violence significantly decimated its tourism industry. It took at least a decade to recover. Let's hope all the parties figure out what is in everyone's best interests!

You are correct. Haiti suffered the same as well and never recovered. The French side needs to get this under control and quickly but it also impacts the entire island, especially with regard to cruise ships.

Tourism has to be down in some major US cities that are allowing the same to happen as well.
39 2,618 Read More
British Virgin Islands
3 hours ago
Sad and makes me a bit angry given my own recent experience. We saw Aloha - a sistership to the one we were on - a number of times, possibly with different crew. I had a conversation with the base manager in Tortola where he assured me that charterers would be held accountable for violating zones or gross negligence. I wonder.
13 496 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
4 hours ago
Originally Posted by Muskokaman
Where are you staying?

We booked a condo at Rainbow this time.
10 786 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
5 hours ago
It says 60 and older OR not AND. That means all 60 yo’s AND others with chronic high risk health conditions. It seems an overreach now in the face of vaccines and boosters.
4 456 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
6 hours ago
Doesn’t Canada have a history of greater restrictions? Last spring a Canadian traveler on Dawn Beach told me he would have to quarantine in a hotel upon return. I think we are seeing reflex responses and options but that the actual rules may be significantly less onerous than those being currently discussed. The second to last thing Biden wants to do is put brakes on the recovery and economy. Much of this would get better if more people realized that real American patriots put what was best for the country foremost and became VACCINATED!
27 1,128 Read More
US VI and Puerto Rico
6 hours ago
Thanks for sharing! It’s great to know we have that level of quality support in the US Coast Guard!
1 39 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
6 hours ago
I agree. Peaceful protests are one thing, but this is nuts. If they continue down this path, they will ultimately only harm themselves. The last thing a tourist destination wants is to be seen as "unsafe". If the tourists stop coming or the cruise ships sail on by, the money that drives most of the economy will dry up. If they think they are hard up or oppressed now, they haven't seen anything.

Visitors have lots of other choices. They want to feel safe and they want to be able to relax and enjoy their vacation time. Those fomenting the unrest really need to study the hard lessons learned by the Jamaicans in the 1970s, when political unrest and violence significantly decimated its tourism industry. It took at least a decade to recover. Let's hope all the parties figure out what is in everyone's best interests!
39 2,618 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
7 hours ago
Yes, we're in the same boat. I believe we are on the same WestJet flight down on January 13th. Our refundable period just expired, unless either Sint Maarten or Canada shuts down air travel. Since we are staying for 5 weeks we would take a big hit, so I guess we now consider ourselves committed!

The Canadian government hasn't provided a lot of details on the type of arrival test. I believe the current random tests on arrival for non-Canadians are rapid tests. I have no idea how they would process regular PCR tests for everyone, without hiring massive numbers of staff, and that is not likely to happen. About the only "good" thing, if I can even call it that, is that the tests are at their expense.

The quarantine info about what you can and can't do, until you receive a negative test result, are also a bit lacking in detail. We normally spend the night before departure, as well as our night of return back in Toronto, at the Sheraton Gateway. If we have to isolate in the hotel room on our return, then we will likely just cancel that stay and head straight home. At least at home we can isolate much more easily and in more comfort!

We still have 6 weeks, so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that they will back off a bit and this is just a bit of an overreaction. We were so pleased when SXM eliminated the pre-arrival Covid test for those fully vaccinated. Hopefully that doesn't change either! Quite frankly, we feel much the same as you. Between all the new testing and potential quarantine hassles, plus the unrest on the French side, we would likely consider not coming after all.

P.S. - I sent you a PM.
27 1,128 Read More
British Virgin Islands
8 hours ago
Aloha was the name.
13 496 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
8 hours ago
We were on the Island Nov 11-25 and caught the tail end of the last uprising. To tell you the truth, it stopped us from going to the French side this trip. First time in 22 years. When you're on vacation you just don't want any hassles. Even when the blockades came down during our trip we had no desire to drive and explore the French side. Carol is right...they have to get it under control. The people are angry and have a right to protest but when a country already recovering from the devastation of Irma gets slapped down again due to the pandemic, I worry for their future. They need tourist dollars but if we feel uncomfortable and in some cases unsafe (masked locals demanding money to pass) then we're going to take our travel dollars elsewhere.
9 683 Read More
British Virgin Islands
8 hours ago
George - any idea of the boat name? Want to try to stay far far away from them.
13 496 Read More
British Virgin Islands
8 hours ago
Do they have GPS trackers on these boats? Seems like it would be a pretty easy way to monitor compliance with the red-lined restrictions.
13 496 Read More
British Virgin Islands
9 hours ago
We witnessed the grounding. The posted account is correct. In addition the next morning they entered the proper channel south of Saba and departed for Anegada. They then went between Prickly Pear and Eustatia Island to exit the area. Doable but pretty sure redlined.
G
13 496 Read More
British Virgin Islands
9 hours ago
I'd love to watch the Patriots/Bills game Monday night 12/6/2021 at a bar on Anegada. Any ideas?
0 33 Read More
US VI and Puerto Rico
9 hours ago
1 39 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
9 hours ago
Kim--would appreciate your thoughts when you arrive. MezzaLuna is in Nettle Bay?? I thought it was in Oyster Pond?
9 683 Read More
British Virgin Islands
9 hours ago
Originally Posted by Husker
We caught 5 mahi last week. Great fun!

Can I ask where??? Congrats
5 188 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
9 hours ago
Im heading down Saturday - not to eager to head to the French side. Had big plans for meals in Nettle Bay, coming from Cupecoy its very easy. Let's see what happens in the next few days. Last I saw MezzaLuna was looted, no idea about LaCigale and Mi Ti Beach
9 683 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
9 hours ago
Canada announced yesterday that any travellers that are fully vaccinated and arriving in Canada will have to have a PCR test done upon arrival and quarantine until you receive your results, which could be possibly be up to 72 hours. This is even though you have to have a valid PCR test done before you travel to Canada. It’s suppose to start in the next few days. This is not good news for the travel industry. If my accommodations for this January were refundable at this point, I’d seriously consider cancelling my vacation.
27 1,128 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
9 hours ago
I agree that burned cars and blocked roads would be unnerving. I guess my thought was we could take our time and avoid certain areas if needed and cruise passengers may not have that flexibility.
9 683 Read More
British Virgin Islands
9 hours ago
Didn't they technically try the quarantine on arrival thing once before and it was impossible to enforce? If I land in JFK after my BVI trip and travel the 100 miles north to home-who the heck is going to be checking that I am staying put for 7 days? That would be stupid to implement and impossible to follow through with. Been waiting 2 years to get back and now 3 weeks out this is happening. Ditto on the "so done with this!"
19 436 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
10 hours ago
To me, I would do the two bedroom at LVB, knowing that you are guaranteed an ocean view. Plus it gives you a new experience. I personally am VERY fixed on an ocean view. And a 2 BR at LVB would give you a lot more room than a one BR at SBR . Plus, I love the intimacy of smaller resorts. Your mileage may vary.

Agreed, no real usable beach at LVB though.
2 299 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
10 hours ago
Angelface--would appreciate hearing your thoughts once you arrive.
9 683 Read More
British Virgin Islands
10 hours ago
Congrats! Looks like a beauty.

Dan cheers
1 89 Read More
British Virgin Islands
10 hours ago
Most actually overnight at the far end..called Pond Bay. If a squall comes by, the wind can really whistle through there and get squirrelly. We have a place on Virgin Gorda and spend a lotta time at our favorite beach..Savannah Bay. Sometime around 2007 or 2008 a charter cat got blown on the reef and broken up…there were pieces of fiberglass hitting the beach for months.

We also had a boat withTMM for a good while. My wife and I were staying on VG and were at Savannah and I had been taking pictures and a boat similar to ours was coming toward Savannah Bay. It was heading straight for the center of the bay..not an approach. As it got closer I could tell it was indeed our boat. As it got even closer, I begin to worry because it kept coming straight in and not turning toward the LittleDix side of Savannah. As it got right to the outer reef, they made a u turn and left.

It was only after I put the photo card on the computer and enlarged the pics we saw that the couple were wearing their birthday best. I was happy not to watch my boat on a reef ..but I did spray down the seats when we took her out. smile

Like White Bay, most of the time you will be fine. See a ton of the sailing school boats in there in the summer, but it’s not foolproof. If it’s redlined by your charter co. You certainly don’t want that liability.
9 545 Read More
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6