Member Spotlight
eilandmens
eilandmens
South Jersey USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
AnnandSteve, ReesesPieces
Who's Online Now
26 registered members (MikeBiondo, SXMScubaman, SXMNAN, hokiesailor, wct49, Todd_Melinda_K, JohnW, jazzgal, Kennys, Bakoguy, Cleobeach, OllieEh, deliveryskipper, Buddyhog, CdnCouple, Uksimonusa, NumberCruncher, cabokid, IWIWSE, 7 invisible), 853 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
St. Maarten - St. Martin
5 minutes ago
We'll probably go to Tropicana this trip. I don't feel endangered.
5 270 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
27 minutes ago
A fun read. Thanks for taking the time to write.
12 638 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
29 minutes ago
Well, I was there at night last trip and did not feel unsafe. Especially if there are two of you, I say go for it.
5 270 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 10:32 PM
We do DCA to SJU then Island Birds as well...get in around 100
12 370 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 09:44 PM
I echo the others. I personally don't feel comfortable there at night. You could go for a big lunch though, and have a simple dinner. We have done that several times.
5 270 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 08:34 PM
Hi Barry............We watch Below Deck all the time............The price you mentioned is about right and the normal tip ranges from $20,000 to 22,000 for 3 days depending on the guests satisfaction with the food and service.......Great show.........
5 705 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 07:14 PM
We spent so much time there years ago, but had plans to do lunch this time, rather than
dinner. It is sad that we don't feel comfortable there at night.
5 270 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 06:33 PM
Michael and I have fond memories of La Main ala Pate for similar reasons. But it was Pascal who greeted us at the entrance and enticed us in.
He was incredibly friendly and fun. We went back several times for lunch when we were there that trip.

I can't say that I would venture to Marigot at night though.
5 270 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 06:18 PM
We're heading back in June. We haven't been to Marigot for dinner for quite a long while and wonder if it is recommended to go there for an evening meal.

Back in 2004-2006 we'd go to La Main a la Pate located at the marina at least twice, sometimes three times during the week when we were there. A friendly, sweet French gal named Maude enticed us in as we walked by the first time we were at the marina, just walking around, taking in the place. As we walked by, she greeted us, menu in hand, and in her lovely French accent explained how well we'd be treated and how splendid the food was in her restaurant. I politely said, "We're going to walk ahead a bit to see the rest of the marina." She smiled and said, "I will miss you." LOL We were smitten by her and after walking all the way to the end, we turned back and had an amazing experience and meal at La Main a la Pate. We went back, as I said, at least three times that week. The following year we returned to again find Maude at the front of the restaurant greeting passersby. We indicated we wanted a seat right there by the front and as she sat us at a table said, "I remember you." We loved this restaurant and Maude was a big part of why it was so much fun. That year we came back several times and brought friends.

I wonder if La Main a la Pate is still there. I did notice that the location was called something else for a few years, but I see now, when googled, it looks like it is back. No doubt different owners and Maude probably moved on a long time ago.

Some questions: Is it safe to go to Marigot at night for dinner in the marina area. Has anyone been to La Main a la Pate recently, and how was it? Also, what is recommended for nearby parking.

I'll attach a photo of Maude.

Lancer
5 270 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 05:46 PM
Great report! We always go to Le String but will plan on a few days at Orange Fever in June.
12 638 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 05:11 PM
What a great trip report.

Trip report 10
12 638 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 04:57 PM
Saw him every day. His spot is still next to Orange Fever although there is nothing in it. He mostly naps there. He didnt have much inventory with him, when he tried to sell Deb something. Pretty pitiful.
She bought from Adam and Eve this year.
28 2,878 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 04:12 PM
Yes--Bravo for paragraphs!! clapping
12 638 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 04:11 PM
Now THIS is how one does a proper trip report! Bravo! Always remember, paragraphs are a reader's best friend.

Glad you all had a great trip!!

Cheers
12 638 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 03:43 PM
The other way to get on board is just to pay - last I heard it was $50,000, that is a 50% discount due to the cameras, for the 3 days , plus tip.
5 705 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 03:20 PM
Thanks all.

Our trips are to VG. We typically fly into either SJU or STT and use Island Birds for arrival and Island Birds to SJU for departure.

I think we will stick with that. Our schedules are not yet flexible enough to not mind missing a day on either end of the trip.
12 370 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 03:10 PM
It is an hour or less connection time for us from DTW to arrive same day. I am not willing to risk that in MIA. I also get 6 free bags with Delta and with the amount of stuff we lug to the boat each trip I need it. We routinely take a water taxi inbound and the ferry on return. It is what it is for us.

Cancellations and delays can happen anywhere but they are far less frequent at STT then EIS however sleeping on the floor at STT is not. No hotels available, not even with the Westin and Frenchman’s Reef now open?
12 370 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 02:33 PM
Nice trip report, thanks.
12 638 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 02:28 PM
The new flight is a game changer, particularly for those who can now get to the BVI in two flights instead of three. We have taken it successfully, and have already booked it for December.

Brent, apart from missed ferry connections, add in the higher, post-Covid, ferry fares and luggage charges, plus taxis. I suspect for many it would be cheaper to charter a plane for the last leg.
12 370 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 02:22 PM
I should be clear: the outdoor restaurant at Scrub is a nice spot, and the food is good. We love Marina Cay, and Scrub did a really nice job redoing it. They made a big mistake choosing the government tipping model, and should just go back to tipping to encourage good service.
10 766 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 01:58 PM
Ahoy Captains,

The Captains Compass is offering Free Sleep Aboards for anyone flying into EIS.
8 Guests arriving in the Evening by Ferry on 15 Apr were 3 Hours late due to engine troubles on the Ferry.
Then 6 Guests, from the same charter, spent the Night of 26 Apr on floor of STT due to flight cancellations due to Tornados across the mid USA.

I would find it very useful if Anyone could do a spreadsheet on the Expenses of Flying AA RT MIA-EIS, as opposed to a Flight & Ferry with the cost of the Loss of 1 Night of Charter & Hotel in STT.

I Need More Quality Cats for Chartering !
Fair Winds, Brent
thecaptainscompass.com Yacht Charters and Management
heatseekerinternational.com 5% Comm and Sales-Tax-Free Yacht Brokerage
12 370 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 01:26 PM
This was a really fun read and I appreciate you sharing in such detail. I wish I could teleport to Orange Fever.
12 638 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 01:25 PM
Great report!
And all of a sudden I read my name and remembered the friendly guy on the beach!

We had planned a few more Orange Fever days, but the weather turned wet and grey
after you left. We are fortunate to be on another beautiful beach at Beachside Villas, so it is always good.

Maybe we will run into you again at Orange Fever, Juggies, DK Gems...............
12 638 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 01:04 PM
It seems like every few months they post something on socials taunting a big come back, and then it goes radio silent again for a few months. I hope they do reopen; we enjoyed the place last year and missed visiting this year.
2 383 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 12:57 PM
Wonderful report with great details and lovely pictures! Thanks for posting!
12 638 Read More
Page 1 of 2 1 2