Traveltalkonline.com Forums


TTOL Sponsors
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics41,952
Posts342,035
Members27,640
Most Online5,009
Jul 27th, 2026
Top Posters(30 Days)
bran 34
mahokid 30
RonDon 30
erb923 27
kim 18
Member Spotlight
xrayman67
xrayman67
Panama City Beach, Florida
Posts: 789
Joined: January 2017
Today's Birthdays
FrogtownRoadCat3
Who's Online Now
14 members (SXMScubaman, caribmichael, BillDauterive, NumberCruncher, anet_scot, oeastcoast, jbutah, dickhall66, 6 invisible), 434 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Southern Caribbean Jump to new posts
Re: Grenada worth it if not on boat? Eva 1 hour ago
It's been a while for me, but lately I've been having the urge to go back to Grenada. I've done both sailing charters and land-based trips. This time around, it would be land. I second La Sagesse and True Blue -- though the beach at True Blue is not as nice as others. In particular I've been eyeing La Luna on the southwest side of the island near Morne Rouge (aka "BBC Beach").

You might also look at the L'anse Aux Epines (Prickly Bay) area.

Would love to hear what you decide on.
2 91 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Re: Shocking Biras development plans ggffrr11 5 hours ago
I remember walking with several crew members along the pathway from Biras to Fat Virgin. There was a small sign along the trail which read "Iguana Crossing". I made the comment "like that's not for real". Then, a crew member pointed down to my feet in the middle of the pathway next to the sign. As if on cue, there was a large iguana which I was getting ready to trip over.
6 279 Read More
Southern Caribbean Jump to new posts
Re: Grenada worth it if not on boat? Jeannius 9 hours ago
We loved Grenada when we were out there some years back. Our favourite large island in the Caribbean. It is a while back now so things may have changed but we loved La Sagesse. Well away from Grand Anse with a totally different feel. Lots of yachties stay there as it is very convenient for Grenada Marine boatyard and the hotel use to offer discounts to people having boat work done there and free shuttle buses. Another good place, just near the airport was True Blue Bay with the popular Dodgy Dock bar right there. As I said, it was a while ago so things may have changed but those would be my two go to places. If you want to go cheaper, then there are loads of friendly guest house type places along the south coast at Westerhall. I stayed at several but unfortunately can't remember the name of any of them!
2 91 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Re: Shocking Biras development plans DanS Yesterday at 11:08 PM
For us, part of the attraction of the Bitter End was always the ability to walk the trail to Biras Creek, and on to the Fat Virgin Cafe. It will never be the same without that.

By the way, the NY Times just had an article about marinas, and groups of marinas, being bought up by investment companies. For example, this deal:

https://www.blackstone.com/news/pre...afe-harbor-marinas-in-5-65b-transaction/

Apparently marinas are viewed as a scarce and valuable resource in a world with an increasing share of wealth concentrated at the top.

Dan cheers

P.S. I'm adding on because I just saw the message from MrEZgoin that must have been posted just before mine. The trail I recall was exactly that -- just a narrow dirt walking trail, certainly without any utility poles. Was it later widened to an actual road? When I was there last year there didn't seem to be any place to access it from the Bitter End. Used to be that you'd walk up the stairs near BEYC's pool, and that led to the trail.
6 279 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Re: Shocking Biras development plans MrEZgoin Yesterday at 11:08 PM
We have long enjoyed snorkeling the mangroves on the north side of Biras Creek bay. At some point (pre Irma?) there was a road cut just to the other side of the mangroves, with spoil pushed to the side and a row of utility poles. The poles disappeared and I think the road cut was abandoned.
However, I read that a new road has been cut in July (we haven't been since April) and I'm bracing myself for seeing this area (and Biras Hill) degraded and destroyed.
6 279 Read More
Southern Caribbean Jump to new posts
Grenada worth it if not on boat? tangerine3 Yesterday at 08:05 PM
Hello,

We are only doing land based trip and want to go back to mayreau it has been over 10 years and unfortunately this time around it has to be in high season, we usually go off season anywhere . . .we are looking mid january to late february. We want to fly into SVD take plane to union and water taxi over to mayreau then come back through Grenada. I have been looking on Grenada and the Grand Anse is unfortunately pretty full for those times and the hotels or airbnbs that are left don't look appealing to me. We are not high end and do not do all inclusive. Like airbnbs and/or boutique accommodations. I do see some other properties but they are not in walking distance to either beach. Is it worth it to rent a car and stay somewhere other than the beach area? Would be willing to do that if the lodging had restaurants, shops and bars nearby to walk to. Any suggestions? thanks.
2 91 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Re: Pre-Christmas Crowds snmhanson Yesterday at 07:56 PM
Thanks for the replies. We are locked into our timeline due to our daughter's college break schedule. Will try to do as much pre-planning as possible, though I'm sure we will also have exercise plenty of patience and be flexible.

On that note, my daughter's flight was already significantly changed by American Airlines after booking in just a few days ago. Had her flying SLC>MIA>EIS, but now the SLC>MIA flight is cancelled and she is getting routed through DFW. Still getting there the same day, but a longer travel day and arriving 10:00PM rather than around noon.
3 245 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Re: Shocking Biras development plans Naxos Yesterday at 07:17 PM
Yup! Toured the site last winter- big plans indeed. I fondly remember the low key yet elegant resort with great food in the very early ‘80’s with theThonnings at the helm .
6 279 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Re: Shocking Biras development plans S/Y Mockingbird Yesterday at 06:58 PM
YMMV but 2001 was peak Biras from our many experiences. A very special place back then. We may be slightly biased as one half of us is Dutch 🙂

This new development... 😑
6 279 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Re: Shocking Biras development plans Manpot Yesterday at 06:19 PM
I read the whole thing..heartbreaking
6 279 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Shocking Biras development plans MrEZgoin Yesterday at 04:52 PM
I recently received an email about Biras marina being added to a Spanish portfolio of superyacht marinas. Apparently there are big plans, not just for the marina, but also ONB style megamansions climbing up the ridge of Biras Hill.

This link shows some of what is proposed.

I advise not to open the link immediately after eating.

https://bellini.it/portfolio-articoli/biras-creek-marina-resort/
6 279 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Re: Favorite BVI memories Fran Yesterday at 12:20 PM
PerIwinkle, Great to see you on here again. Karyl and I don't get to go down there anymore but hold many wonderful memories of our trips and TTOL parties, both on island and here in the US. I don't post very much as I don't feel I have relevant info as it's been so long since our last visit, but I continue to 'lurk' if just to see what old friends are saying.

Cheers,
Fran
29 1,483 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Re: Favorite BVI memories Manpot 09/27/2026 10:23 PM
Boy..do I miss you too..maybe think about coming solo and staying in my studio..I would truly love to see you
29 1,483 Read More
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5