|
Forums39
Topics41,953
Posts342,048
Members27,640
| |
Most Online5,009 Jul 27th, 2026
|
|
Posts: 55
Joined: December 2010
|
|
|
12 members (CaribbeanCanadians, Rumlover, Maikelvdh, mark37, Marie, Bob O, PmB, 5 invisible),
415
guests, and
54
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
Re: Shocking Biras development plans
knitsoftwear
2 hours ago
First year we went was 2021. We loved it. Went once or twice a year for quite a while. After what's his name from Michigan took over we started to hate it. They were just sucking it dry for Oil Nut Bay. That is when we started renting a villa in Nail Bay. Quieter and we stayed longer.
7
345
Read More
|
|
Re: Grenada worth it if not on boat?
Eva
8 hours ago
It's been a while for me, but lately I've been having the urge to go back to Grenada. I've done both sailing charters and land-based trips. This time around, it would be land. I second La Sagesse and True Blue -- though the beach at True Blue is not as nice as others. In particular I've been eyeing La Luna on the southwest side of the island near Morne Rouge (aka "BBC Beach").
You might also look at the L'anse Aux Epines (Prickly Bay) area.
Would love to hear what you decide on.
2
128
Read More
|
|
Re: Shocking Biras development plans
ggffrr11
12 hours ago
I remember walking with several crew members along the pathway from Biras to Fat Virgin. There was a small sign along the trail which read "Iguana Crossing". I made the comment "like that's not for real". Then, a crew member pointed down to my feet in the middle of the pathway next to the sign. As if on cue, there was a large iguana which I was getting ready to trip over.
7
345
Read More
|
|
Re: Grenada worth it if not on boat?
Jeannius
15 hours ago
We loved Grenada when we were out there some years back. Our favourite large island in the Caribbean. It is a while back now so things may have changed but we loved La Sagesse. Well away from Grand Anse with a totally different feel. Lots of yachties stay there as it is very convenient for Grenada Marine boatyard and the hotel use to offer discounts to people having boat work done there and free shuttle buses. Another good place, just near the airport was True Blue Bay with the popular Dodgy Dock bar right there. As I said, it was a while ago so things may have changed but those would be my two go to places. If you want to go cheaper, then there are loads of friendly guest house type places along the south coast at Westerhall. I stayed at several but unfortunately can't remember the name of any of them!
2
128
Read More
|
|
Re: Shocking Biras development plans
DanS
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
For us, part of the attraction of the Bitter End was always the ability to walk the trail to Biras Creek, and on to the Fat Virgin Cafe. It will never be the same without that. By the way, the NY Times just had an article about marinas, and groups of marinas, being bought up by investment companies. For example, this deal: https://www.blackstone.com/news/pre...afe-harbor-marinas-in-5-65b-transaction/Apparently marinas are viewed as a scarce and valuable resource in a world with an increasing share of wealth concentrated at the top. Dan  P.S. I'm adding on because I just saw the message from MrEZgoin that must have been posted just before mine. The trail I recall was exactly that -- just a narrow dirt walking trail, certainly without any utility poles. Was it later widened to an actual road? When I was there last year there didn't seem to be any place to access it from the Bitter End. Used to be that you'd walk up the stairs near BEYC's pool, and that led to the trail.
7
345
Read More
|
|
Re: Shocking Biras development plans
MrEZgoin
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
We have long enjoyed snorkeling the mangroves on the north side of Biras Creek bay. At some point (pre Irma?) there was a road cut just to the other side of the mangroves, with spoil pushed to the side and a row of utility poles. The poles disappeared and I think the road cut was abandoned. However, I read that a new road has been cut in July (we haven't been since April) and I'm bracing myself for seeing this area (and Biras Hill) degraded and destroyed.
7
345
Read More
|
|
Grenada worth it if not on boat?
tangerine3
Yesterday at 08:05 PM
Hello,
We are only doing land based trip and want to go back to mayreau it has been over 10 years and unfortunately this time around it has to be in high season, we usually go off season anywhere . . .we are looking mid january to late february. We want to fly into SVD take plane to union and water taxi over to mayreau then come back through Grenada. I have been looking on Grenada and the Grand Anse is unfortunately pretty full for those times and the hotels or airbnbs that are left don't look appealing to me. We are not high end and do not do all inclusive. Like airbnbs and/or boutique accommodations. I do see some other properties but they are not in walking distance to either beach. Is it worth it to rent a car and stay somewhere other than the beach area? Would be willing to do that if the lodging had restaurants, shops and bars nearby to walk to. Any suggestions? thanks.
2
128
Read More
|
|
Re: Pre-Christmas Crowds
snmhanson
Yesterday at 07:56 PM
Thanks for the replies. We are locked into our timeline due to our daughter's college break schedule. Will try to do as much pre-planning as possible, though I'm sure we will also have exercise plenty of patience and be flexible.
On that note, my daughter's flight was already significantly changed by American Airlines after booking in just a few days ago. Had her flying SLC>MIA>EIS, but now the SLC>MIA flight is cancelled and she is getting routed through DFW. Still getting there the same day, but a longer travel day and arriving 10:00PM rather than around noon.
3
266
Read More
|
|
Re: Shocking Biras development plans
Naxos
Yesterday at 07:17 PM
Yup! Toured the site last winter- big plans indeed. I fondly remember the low key yet elegant resort with great food in the very early ‘80’s with theThonnings at the helm .
7
345
Read More
|
|
Re: Favorite BVI memories
Fran
Yesterday at 12:20 PM
PerIwinkle, Great to see you on here again. Karyl and I don't get to go down there anymore but hold many wonderful memories of our trips and TTOL parties, both on island and here in the US. I don't post very much as I don't feel I have relevant info as it's been so long since our last visit, but I continue to 'lurk' if just to see what old friends are saying.
Cheers, Fran
29
1,581
Read More
|
|
Re: Favorite BVI memories
periwinkle
09/26/2026 08:29 PM
What fun reading about everyone’s memories! Lance (sadly passed away) and I began our trips in 1994, after choosing Tortola from a Fodor’s Caribbean Guide. Last trip was in 2017. We stayed on the hillside at LBBR our first trip. Loved the kitchen smells wafting up in the morning. We spent made years staying at the Sandcastle. Such good times! I loved Palm’s Delight ginger wine chicken, and the key lime pie. The cook told me how to make it. Loved how the waves came up to the sea wall there from 2 directions.
Some great TTOL parties, at Mal’s, Sebastian’s, and dinner for all of us at Paradise Club. Celebrating Sabrina and Mario’s wedding trip. We ran into them on the beach the day we arrived, just as their photographer was taking pics. Davide was their best man. He told them we said hi (us in bathing suits) and they invited us to their reception on this lovely patio at Quito’s sister’s place. Can’t think of the name. Sabrina charmed all of us here on TTOL as she valiantly practiced her English.
Did anyone else go to The Secret Garden at Josiah’s Bay? Great food and atmosphere. Banana rum shots. Yum. Stayed at Tamarind Club a few times and enjoyed their bar and pool.
So many fun memories. I haven’t kept up here in years, but so nice to see some familiar names. Great that folks are still making new memories!
29
1,581
Read More
|
|
Re: Tortola stop on Virgin Cruise
Todd
09/26/2026 03:59 PM
I get the don't go when the cruise ships go, same thing we avoid on SXM in different areas, thanks for pointing that out.
I like the AC Taxi idea, key thing on this trip for us is to see if it is a place we would like to go back to. Someday we do plan on doing a sailing charter around the BVI's.
I just want to relax, eat and drink.
3
264
Read More
|
|
Re: Tortola stop on Virgin Cruise
Manpot
09/26/2026 05:19 AM
Another option..stay on Tortola and get a private , relaxing toiu. always use "AC"s Taxi and he has provided my guests and freinds with a wonderful experience in one of his new a/c vans.Just Google AC's Taxi Tortola and all his info is there...he will personalise your day to avoid the crowds and take you to places you may not know! Mention Malcolm recommended you!
3
264
Read More
|
|
Re: Tortola stop on Virgin Cruise
IWIWSE
09/26/2026 02:40 AM
Good evening,
My wife and I have been going to VG land based for years and if I could offer any advice it would be to NOT tour the Baths any time a cruise ship is in port. Think "10#s of Potato's in a 5# sack". Some thoughts
You might think about making your own excursion. Start by buying your ferry ticket at the dock. Saves about $50 each for the same boat and dock the cruise sells.
When you get to VG have a pre-arranged taxi waiting at the dock to take you on a private island tour. Pretty sure Mahogany Rentals offers guided tours The other taxi services probably have similar offers.
You might just have a taxi drop you off and pick you up at either Savanna Bay or Spring Bay. Note that neither beach has facliities. If you chose Savanna and didn't mention it to your table mates, and didn't go on Sunday, you've got a good chance of having the beach to yourselves. If your boat offers an excursion to either beach, don't go there.
Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.
Mike Sometimes I sit and think. Sometimes I just sit.
3
264
Read More
|
|
Tortola stop on Virgin Cruise
Todd
09/25/2026 10:44 PM
Hi all, I have been to the USVI, first time in the 70's, am a regular on SXM since 2002. I am not a cruiser but for the first time doing a cruise in over 30 years I will be one of those on a ship, Virgin Valiant Lady. We are in our 60's, I am not a tour with a large group type of person, enjoy the beach and local bars but also thinking of if we take a charter to The Baths. If you were to arrive, forced to or otherwise on a ship, what would you suggest to do? This will be late January and there will be another couple that likely will join us in what ever we do. Thank you in advance, Todd
3
264
Read More
|
|
Pre-Christmas Crowds
snmhanson
09/25/2026 08:30 PM
We have chartered the BVIs many times, but never during Christmas. Just booked a trip and will be on water 12/18-12/28. Anyone have an idea as to how crowded it will be during that time? I know it gets quite busy after Christmas and through the New Year, but what about the week prior to Christmas?
Thanks!
3
266
Read More
|
|
Re: High Season
vytis104
09/24/2026 01:59 PM
Never said there was a charge to be a member, sorry that my comment seemed to indicate this. But as your reply states Members help each other, and we used to get some benefits from other members for being TTOL members at various locations....esp Leverick.
17
920
Read More
|
|
Re: High Season
Manpot
09/23/2026 08:32 PM
It was the burgees flying on halyards that got a lot of attention, introduced people and started some long lasting friendships..
17
920
Read More
|
|
|
|