Member Spotlight
RickG
RickG
Virginia & Charleston, SC
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
njmom, ryanbuckner
Who's Online Now
42 registered members (Christo, firstcharter, JanBob, Speebs, John, SXMFOX, charlie, SXMbeacher, bluejacket, sugarae, GW248, SANFILIP, fthunt, Tom, sail445, Eva, mprevo, usasxmlover, donsellsyachts, BrentCummings, Uksimonusa, sunmantwo, davecyndi, tradewinds, tpcook, jrr1148, NCSailor, RanC, jho, RonDon, 4Driver4, JandIrene, 10 invisible), 150 guests, and 388 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
General Caribbean
4 hours ago
It has been a while since I have been to resorts there, but stopped at 2 locations in 2015 while on a delivery. We never felt unsafe we met a lot of great people, but also several people trying to rip us off with expensive cab rides for short distances, plus bribes for security people.. Everyone had their hand out for providing any type of tiny service. It is a poor country, so work is hard to come by.. Our stops were in Pendernales and Marina Zarbar.

Many years ago we did a private tour of Santo Domingo and it was great. One take away, the dogs would follow us, our guide said they knew that the white people would feed them.

With that said we stopped at Ile de Vacha in Haiti on the same trip. There is a small resort there, they people were amazing and not greedy money grubbing. I would go back there in a heart beat.
10 233 Read More
British Virgin Islands
7 hours ago
On a cat you would need to be in 10 ft plus to be quessy.
7 310 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
7 hours ago
sounds a bit high to me. take either 600 or 700 (depending on which type of unit) and multiply by 50 weeks. times number of units.....seems pretty high to me. 30 thousand or 35 thousand seems a bit outrageous. that of course does NOT include what the resort has or will recieve from insurance companies.

yes.....i own 4 weeks of timeshare. three at royal islander...and one week at cape cod, mass
4 316 Read More
British Virgin Islands
8 hours ago
The Anegada Passage is notoriously uncomfortable from the VI to SXM. Wind on the nose, in opposition to a westerly current, and sometimes a healthy northerly swell makes for short, steep, and confused seas. In a powercat you might feel like you're in a washing machine. Thus the moniker, Omygodapassage. Having a sail up would make a world of difference.

If you're bareboating, making the passage in the opposite direction would be preferred. If I had the choice, in a powercat, I'd wait for a calm weather window. Wind <10K and no northerly swell. Those conditions occur frequently in the summer.

The popular route around Necker is fine, but I'd just grit my teeth and head through Round Rock Passage - actually a straighter shot. Leave at dusk, and if you're lucky you'll see the lights of St. Martin just before the sun rises.
7 310 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
10 hours ago
Originally Posted by Bahston
Belmond La Samanna has announced a re-opening date of December 10, 2018.

Yes, I saw that this afternoon also. This report was written a couple of days ago.
15 1,715 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
10 hours ago
My understanding, and I could easily have it wrong, is that property was left to ALL the people of the island and wasn’t intended for commercial for profit ventures, and to make matters worse, when they named the ride down the mountain they didn’t include the Emilio Wilson name. At least the restaurant used his first name........
15 1,715 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
11 hours ago
Nice trip report, thanks!
Just curious, why is the location of Emilio's on the Emilio Watson estate controversial?
15 1,715 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
11 hours ago
Nice tip report, thanks!
Just curious, why is the location of Emilio's on the Emilio Watson estate controversial?
15 1,715 Read More
British Virgin Islands
11 hours ago
Great vid!
10 834 Read More
General Caribbean
11 hours ago
Risk is subjective and depends on your travel experience, destination, plans while there and so much more. We’ve never felt unsafe in Bayahibe or Dominicus, or where we live in Mexico. Research is an all-important component in enjoying any destination.

Third world destination describes everywhere we go to enjoy the beauty of the Carib!

Going to a gated resort in the secluded resort areas removes you from the real experience of meeting the wonderful people and seeing the abundant natural beauty, and often involves the “remote roads in the middle of nowhere” mentioned above. Again, research the areas, comparing Punta Cana to Bayahibe and Puerto Plata, etc, etc.

Just do some research on your own rather than relying only on this forum, even for quick getaway understanding the destination is very mportant. Sorry, cannot help with any RCI properties but research the different areas to find the one you want to visit. You can then research the properties in that area that interest you.

[EDIT]
We once stayed at Dreams La Romana in Bayahibe, that is listed by RCI but the AI cost will be pricey. The nice thing about that property is the 5 minute stroll into Bayahibe and to the Seavis Tours and Pro E excursions.
10 233 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
11 hours ago
Mikel, I totally agree with you. No email from them and nothing in the mail. Not a good way to find.
4 316 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
11 hours ago
You can also buy the premade baguette sandwiches at Market Garden. I've had them before and they are pretty good. Have taken them to the beach many times. They have tuna, ham & cheese, roast beef, salami and another I can't remember. All good for $2.50.
9 544 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
I own multiple weeks there and had heard nothing of an assessment but when I went to their accounting website, sure enough, there is one listed. It seems to be $600 ($50 per month for 12 months) for a studio and $700 for a one bedroom. Not a very good way to find out about it!
4 316 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 11:32 PM
Well it’s actually the time between and the direction of the wave/swells/crests that would decide if you need to hold your drink or will it stay on the horizontal surfaces you set it on.
BTW the Anegada Passage is normally referred to as the route between the North tip of Virgin Gorda and St. Martin.
7 310 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 11:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Do these places deliver or within walking distance from the marina?
4 479 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 11:29 PM
Thanks! Yes, I'm definitely more concerned about wave height than wind speed. I'm definitely erring toward being conservative because my crew is very inexperienced. I suppose that doesn't matter much in that situation unless things got really bad. On my last charter on a 433 with a different inexperienced crew, we encountered 40knt winds and what I believe were 8 foot seas in Drakes on our last day going from Jost to Peter. I never felt like the boat couldn't handle it even with an occasional wash over the bow. Passed two sailboats coming into Soper's Hole with torn sails. If I were in familiar waters where I grew up with small boats of my own I'd be out in pretty much anything. With the responsibility of passengers and a boat that's not mine, I tend to be more responsible!
7 310 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 11:28 PM
Pizza at Virgin Queen Even better is their curried Goat IMHO
4 479 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 11:26 PM
Id say thats about a week too short the the Sound
5 682 Read More
US VI and Puerto Rico
Yesterday at 11:07 PM
Looking for recommendations for budget lodging for two people on St. John in January for a few days in the Cruz Bay area.
0 40 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by SXMFOX
Based on our last trip to Zee Best the menu has changed but not by much. But now we are rethinking our next departure flight to include Zee Best sandwiches for our flight, thanks Beachkitten! We are even talking about picking up some sandwiches, and our beer for our next trip over to Mullet!

That's where the second sammich pic was taken...lol...Mullet. wink

Eating those, with drinks from Rosie's and life is good!
9 544 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 10:52 PM
Based on our last trip to Zee Best the menu has changed but not by much. But now we are rethinking our next departure flight to include Zee Best sandwiches for our flight, thanks Beachkitten! We are even talking about picking up some sandwiches, and our beer for our next trip over to Mullet!
9 544 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 10:52 PM
Zee Best Bakery...correct.
9 544 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Thanks. The picture is from Zee Best, correct?
9 544 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 10:43 PM
If so, that's not bad at all. Unless you own more than one.
4 316 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 10:40 PM
This is an old pic....and there are new additions, but you get the idea. There's a roast beef w/ horseradish or spicy mustard that hubby gets.
Be warned, some have sprouts, but I ask for lettuce instead. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
9 544 Read More
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 29 30