Member Spotlight
jollymonsrv
jollymonsrv
So. Shore MA.
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
cpnsxm, grower53, J_Shan
Who's Online Now
67 registered members (SXMbeacher, RickinAtlanta, Gator259, BombaCharger, lifeguard, sphotovacations, socamon, CHS_JDE, deputydog1157, ZekeB, JlarsBVI, GW248, anet_scot, SXMScubaman, duke63, astropilot, DDnBob, tradewinds, jpfitzy7, louismcc, charlie, nysaills, Coffee, gordaguy2, MamaJ, EllenS, leo, ChiTownHarry, debjohn, PnPinNC, 4Driver4, Sunflower, firstcharter, chazo, dj1094, MT13, snmhanson, JimRuos, rkitek, tlw440, greg1, AUCspouse, SteveH, davecyndi, dayhiker, ItsAllGood, Tonythepilot, 48ref, Todd, popatop, NumberCruncher, 16 invisible), 207 guests, and 185 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
British Virgin Islands
2 minutes ago
I just got back on Sunday from a 7 day charter. I am working on a report now. We stayed at
Norman-lots of balls and the restaurant is open.

Jost Van Dyke- Great Harbor and had lunch at Foxy's and a couple other little shops were open there. Across the bay at a green building/dock you can get gas and water.

Little Jost-Stayed at Diamond Cay. Going ashore was very sad as the two buildings/bars there are completely gone. Bubbly pool is there but a completely different experience with all the vegetation there. B-Line said it is open but we were only one of three boats there so it didn't appear to be open when we were there.

Guana Island-All the moorings were full when we stayed there (I think there are around 11 of them). Beautiful beach, atmosphere, and overall a nice evening/afternoon.

Anegada-Stayed two nights here. Got a car from Dean Wheatley dwjeep@hotmail.com Great guy! Flash of Beauty beach/bar was destroyed so we didn't spend much time there. Had lunch at Loblolly and was a great time as usual. Everything looked great. Then off to Cow Wreck where they are already building some new structures but looks just wonderful still.

Leverick-Contacted Nick and got a slip (they now have ice and water) we attended the Friday Night BBQ and was a lot of fun. Nick helped us get a rental car and went to the Baths and no one was there. It was awesome. Driving through Spanish Town and seeing all the boats there was not awesome and very sad.

Stopped at Nanny Cay to fill up on Gas. The pool and beach bar look awesome and inviting. Spent the night at Peter Island. Lots of balls and not many people.

We hear that Oil Nut Bay on Virgin Gorda is welcoming charters to stay at their dock if you eat lunch at the resort. You are welcome to use the facilities as well. We just ran out of time so we weren't able to do it. I wish we would have. A friend got an email about Oil Nut Bay from a charter captain down there. I could do some searching to find it if it would be of help.

Saw people on the balls at Marina Cay, Trellis, and Cooper.
8 629 Read More
British Virgin Islands
1 hour ago
me too
2 149 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
1 hour ago
I believe I read that they intend to repair the terminal building to withstand a future cat 5 hurricane. Stronger than it was before. That is going to take longer than some simple patchwork.
8 650 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
1 hour ago
Yep, and then I get up in the morning and sit on my balcony. Feel so privileged. And then the water goes out.
8 650 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
1 hour ago
They don't have a web site, but these folks do regular hikes https://www.facebook.com/SXM-Trails-162783230420132/

And here https://www.trisportsxm.com/
1 58 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
1 hour ago
I think that I read somewhere that there is a group that regularly hikes from Marigot up the hills toward Loterie Farm. Does anyone have any more details on this?
Jim and Amy
1 58 Read More
Southern Caribbean
1 hour ago
There are many stories around on some sites, many by people who have not been there for quite a while. If one is looking for a high end yacht club/YCCS experience, this is not the place to go unless one is going to park at Mustique (no marina though). If one wants to experience as much of the old Caribbean as still exists, this is it.

Boat Boys in the Grenadines are generally quite helpful in my experience. In the Tobago Cays they need to have a license to even be there, and this is how they make a living. One can get bread, sundries, ice, tobacco, fish, lobster, and more. It is a bit pricey, but when one considers they have fuel bills, inventory, and the convenience of delivery it is not too bad, Ask/confirm the pricing in advance for things they will bring in the morning. Some negotiation is possible. Politeness, as always, is key.

St. Lucia and St. Vincent proper they can be a bit aggressive coming out to meet you a mile off shore to volunteer to take your lines. No Boat boys in Carriacou or Grenada we saw.
15 531 Read More
Southern Caribbean
1 hour ago
Looking forward to reading your trip report tothedogs. The sailing sounds like a blast and it will be cool to see some different sailing grounds.

If anyone is interested, there is a thread about dealing with the boat boys and related issues on a different sailing forum: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/boat-boys-moorings-and-tipping-195093.html I had some concerns about them, but didn't want to derail this thread here so I participated a bit in that one. It starts out with a pretty negative view, but if you read the whole thing you start to understand things a bit more and get a bit more comfortable - especially after some reports from people who were down there recently. It will be interesting to hear tothedogs view on them.
15 531 Read More
British Virgin Islands
1 hour ago
Originally Posted by tpcook
I just received the first proposal from the insurance company, but it is so ridiculous that we (My son and I) are responding that we are preparing or arbitration in the matter. I may need some one to act as an arbitrator in the matter. As an example, they are saying we are under insured by 87.6% and then in another paragraph they are saying the estimate that we submitted was too high even though it was at a per sqft rebuild of $237 The villa is heavily damaged and nothing can be reused except for the cistern. I estimated a 40 week rebuild and they think 30 weeks. A villa cannot be built in the BVI in 30 weeks.

Basically the insurance company is abusing their clients.

Sent you a PM
62 6,383 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
1 hour ago
I have often said that living in the Caribbean takes a certain kind of fortitude to put up with STUFF, that I most definitely do NOT have.
8 650 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
2 hours ago
It's endemic here.
8 650 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
2 hours ago
The airport is going to take a LONG time to be fully functional and I am with the others, I do not understand how they can have done NOTHING so far...
8 650 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
2 hours ago
Playing devils advocate here, and I agree mostly with your post. But if the airport were to be fully functional, there is still very little accommodation open. And the majority of the BIG places are close to six months, a year away, if not longer. Planes are expensive and don't meet travelers expectation of convenient routing. But none of this will be fixed until the rooms are available. And most STILL waiting for insurance.

What is happening at the airport is happening everywhere here. Those in charge have not a clue. If it were not for people helping people we would be nowhere.
8 650 Read More
British Virgin Islands
2 hours ago
Bridget,

Who do we rent a car from on Anegada?
8 629 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
2 hours ago
Where are you staying? We are going to Barbados this year, Divi Southwinds, see you next year.
1 185 Read More
British Virgin Islands
3 hours ago
I just received the first proposal from the insurance company, but it is so ridiculous that we (My son and I) are responding that we are preparing or arbitration in the matter. I may need some one to act as an arbitrator in the matter. As an example, they are saying we are under insured by 87.6% and then in another paragraph they are saying the estimate that we submitted was too high even though it was at a per sqft rebuild of $237 The villa is heavily damaged and nothing can be reused except for the cistern. I estimated a 40 week rebuild and they think 30 weeks. A villa cannot be built in the BVI in 30 weeks.

Basically the insurance company is abusing their clients.
62 6,383 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
3 hours ago
Just booked Jet Blue JFK-SXM for under $700. RT for 2 March 1-8 Can't wait!
1 185 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
3 hours ago
Like everyone else who loves this Island, I’m glad they were able to reopen and get the airport functioning as soon as they did since the life blood of the island depends tremendously on its ports but, IMHO, ............tents and temporary structures are NOT going to do the Island any favors long term.

The most lasting travel impressions for most vacationers are their first and last experiences and sadly, they are the ones that currently need a lot of room for improvement. Most long-timers and repeat visitors will be happy just to be there, but new-comers and first-timers will be appalled and most will be lacking the comprehension of what had recently happened across the Island (and to what degree!) to be patiently tolerant of the current situations.

As long as there is only one big plane at a time things might be okay, but I can’t imagine the chaos of three or four fully packed arrivals or departures all at approximately the same time frame and all those people milling around with their luggage and trying to cope with getting to their cabs, cars or vans or the various departure check-points.

There are many beautiful Caribbean islands with great resorts and beautiful beaches along with airports that make their access easy and welcoming. Sadly not the case right now on St. Maarten, and unfortunately, these are the memories too many newcomers are most apt to carry away with them.

It is imperative the terminal structures be repaired (or rebuilt?) and reopened ASAP and to fail to do so will continue to give the Island a big black eye to too many visitors.
8 650 Read More
US VI and Puerto Rico
3 hours ago
Thanks Sail44!

Originally Posted by sail445
Traveling from PR or Culebra to the USVI is fine no checking in is necessary they’re both US territories, although going back from the USVI to PR or Culebra requires a checking in with Customs due to the USVI being a free port.
5 313 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
4 hours ago
Thanks Eric I didn't recognize the new format and kept clicking on the envelope then realized I had to click on title BSV to open it.

Sorry to bother you.
2 366 Read More
Southern Caribbean
4 hours ago
Trespalmas,

We returned over the weekend from our charter. I am working on a trip report. Finding the Super Bowl in Tyrell Bay may be a challenge. We walked almost the entire beach checking out most of the bars/restaurants and did not see a TV anywhere.The only place we did not go into was the Slipway restaurant at the southern end of Tyrell.

Hillsborough may be a possibility as there is a larger (this is relative) light brown colored hotel at the north end of the bay across the street from the beach - sorry I do not remember the name, but I think it began with an L.

Also, a few "new" things since the last time we were there 2 years ago. First, the dinghy dock at Salt Whistle is gone, only bones of a framework remain. This was never in good shape to begin with so no great loss. It is best to pull the dinghy on to the beach and tie it to a tree. Second, there are now more moorings in the Cays, Mayreau, and behind Newland's Reef on Union. These are administered and theoretically maintained by the conservation/national park authorities and seem to be in much better condition the the typical Grenadine private mooring. We used several with no problem. There is ample room left to anchor as well. The boat boys will be there to take your lines and help to tie you off. A tip is expected (beer/soda or a few $EC). Someone from the park authority will stop by to collect the mooring fee and give you a receipt.

Overall a great trip with with 20 knots or so of wind on the longer passages and 5-7 foot seas. Off the wind, we routinely made 7-8+ knots on a Lagoon 38 with a single reefed main.

Have a good trip.
15 531 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
4 hours ago
Originally Posted by GaKaye
The water on the street by Atrium has been a problem for years, long before Irma.

Correct, it goes back many years to being a problem there. No proper drainage and a low area are not a good combination.
5 577 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
4 hours ago
The water on the street by Atrium has been a problem for years, long before Irma.
5 577 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
4 hours ago
The beaches and water have been well cleaned. We swim here all the time and have had no issued with debris. And they are continually cleaning various more remote places too.
5 935 Read More
British Virgin Islands
4 hours ago
You will love it!! It was a great boat for just two of us. The one we had allowed you to leave the bulkhead down between the salon and the v berth so it was one big, cool space! I don't know if the recent ones in their fleet allow for that but for only two, it was great! We were nice and cool in May with no ac. Sails great! Fast!!
15 790 Read More
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 27 28