Member Spotlight
CaptainJay
CaptainJay
Saint Thomas, USVI
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (piet, 2 invisible), 42 guests, and 377 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
St. Maarten - St. Martin
2 hours ago
Does anyone have any suggestions from previous experience on getting a "better" rate for a monthly car rental? Arriving Nov 4 and departing Dec 2.
Thank you!
0 18 Read More
Jamaica's Resorts & Beaches
4 hours ago
I will add my experience. (to this older thread) Been to Jamaica twice since Irma. Nov 2017 short wait on arrival (Tuesday) Departure on a Sat or Sun - Long long long line. Line went fast and security was fast and great. Maybe an hour wait. Mobay people had little to no wait.
Trip in end of June Arrival on a Friday - wait was long. perhaps almost an hour. and VERY warm/ hot. I watched the Mobay people pass through with no to little wait. At this point I was thinking MoBay was worth every penny. Departed on Thursday (July 5) Line was much shorter and wait was minimal to get through security.

So my thoughts are - do the MoBay thing if you're travelling the on the busiest days - Friday, Sat & Sun. The other days you might roll the dice unless you're anxious to get though as quick as possible. Perhaps there is a place where you can see when all the flights arrive to find out if you're arriving in the middle of the rush, etc...

My other advice: Book a private shuttle/car. The group mass shuttle stinks. We waited over an hour to fill up every single stupid seat. Search/google and trip advisor helped me find a reasonably priced taxi.
6 1,458 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
5 hours ago
Originally Posted by jeepers
Maybe someone will correct me but my impression is that Happy Bay is not c/o. People do It & hope no one complains. Also people have said don't do it Sunday as locals & gendarmes are there enjoying the beach. Sooo not really c/o?? Anybody?

Correct In all regards.
31 1,858 Read More
Nude Resorts, Beaches and Cruises
5 hours ago
I did some research for a (different) naturalist place, in the Caribbean, since SXM was set back a little bit. I found Paya Bay Resort. I almost went in June but my plans shifted a couple weeks and we landed up in Jamaica. I am eyeing it for May or June of 2019. So just trying to find out if anyone has been there. I am never to excited to read tripadvisor reviews.
Thanks in Advance.
0 21 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
5 hours ago
This is news to me (Then again it's been well over a year since I have been to TTOL)... I always rent from Unity.
3 527 Read More
World Wide Travel
5 hours ago
Originally Posted by RobT
Wow. You did a lot in one day. When I was there in 2003, there were no wooden steps. It was really exciting coming down. Your tip to the guide was about right. I only paid in US dollars.

I recommend an elephant ride in Angkor Thom. The Hindu temples (Rolus group I think) are nice, but farther away. Just walking around Angkor Wat on your own is good as well.

Wish I were there.

Looking back now it was almost magical despite the large numbers of people and you are right about the one guide I hired. I did elephant rides years ago in Thailand and once is enough. I'm not sure if it is even PC anymore

The museum in town is pretty cool too. I am thinking of returning as there are so many sights and things to do. Yesterday I did Tonie Sap lake on a boat I chartered from a local and I got the full experience of the floating village, floating market and going thru the mangroves on a rowboat and ended at a crocodile farm.
5 88 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Glad it's back on. Got to say though Sammy, not island wide blackout, as the island includes the French side..
4 477 Read More
US VI and Puerto Rico
Yesterday at 10:36 PM
For just an overnight, being right on the beach at Emerald Resort is a nice relaxing place.
Lindbergh Bay hotel is a shuttle ride to the same beach instead of steps away.
Both hotels are a short walk to the airport, Emerald is slightly farther.
A taxi can easily take you to Frenchtown, Downtown or Crown Bay if you want to get off property.
2 81 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 09:24 PM
I just feel that Club O is gone. They did it to themselves with the different owner groups and the insane management relationship they had. Its so sad because there truly is no place on earth like it and it will be greatly missed. My first visit was in 1987 and tried to go back as often as possible.
26 3,378 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 08:27 PM
Many restaurants are open, but some are still closed;

Open
Top of the Baths
Bath & Turtle (located adjacent to Chez Bamboo)
Coco Maya
Island Pot
Hog Heaven
Leverick Bay
Fishers Cove
Oil Nut Bay
Village Café at Olde Yard
Mermaid’s & Pirates (formerly Mermaids Dockside… no longer on the dock)

Closed
Rock Café (maybe re-opening by December)
Mad Dogs
Mine Shaft
Little Dix Bay
Saba Rock
Bitter End
Fat Virgin Café
Sugar Cane
9 1,315 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 08:23 PM
Yay.
11 1,209 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 08:21 PM
Great. About time rules mean rules and enforcement will happen.
1 308 Read More
World Wide Travel
Yesterday at 06:11 PM
Thank you! What a wonderful read. I found myself setting aside time each day to read the next segment and enjoying every minute. Your daughter will cherish the memories for years and years to come. You have my interest peaked.
12 378 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 05:27 PM
You have a fantastic time - yes, Bitter End is a big loss as is Peter Island Resort, but there is SO MUCH that’s up and running!

We had a fantastic time in June. Make sure you get over to Anegada!
4 369 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
American is bringing back the nonstop from CLT to STT in Nov. Should help.

What I quoted above ($724) is a direct flight out of Charlotte. We go down twice a year (May & November). I book my flights about 6 months out or sooner if I can. I have been able to book 1st class tickets out of Charlotte for only about $300 more for the two of us. The upcoming November trip will be our first direct flight post hurricanes. It could be that we usually go Saturday to Saturday and the flights are always full. Maybe that is the most expensive time to fly. But due to work, I have no choice. I am not a fan of American Airlines, but not much choice from Charlotte and we do like the direct to St Thomas. It is just simply not cheap to fly out of Charlotte. I just shake my head, pay the price knowing I will have my feet in the sand within 5 hours.
9 641 Read More
British Virgin Islands
Yesterday at 11:50 AM
Speak with someone at the marina and have them send a taxi to pick up your luggage and put it aboard
2 306 Read More
Nude Resorts, Beaches and Cruises
Yesterday at 04:42 AM
Well, big hotel developments have ruined many good things.
4 693 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
Yesterday at 01:09 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to another trip in late Nov/early Dec.
24 1,563 Read More
British Virgin Islands
09/23/2018 06:29 PM
Thank you for your responses. I feel good about booking them.
5 397 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
09/23/2018 06:19 PM
MONOPRIX Rue de Holland in Bellvue before you get to Marigot.

I have not been there yet but I was told you can get gluten free, plastic free, loose vegetables, nuts, grains.
2 264 Read More
St. Maarten - St. Martin
09/23/2018 03:43 PM
Correct. In our case our first 2 up to 70 lb are free flying First Class.
17 1,469 Read More
US VI and Puerto Rico
09/23/2018 03:23 PM
Hi - If interested we we rent nice, updated studios from Jim & Sheila Morrison, great owners. These units are beautifully furnished and have everything you might want.
Email: silemo@aolcom
All second story and units and very roomy and comfy, we’ve stayed in two, one in bldg D and one in bldg A. We like bldg D away from the beach swimming area and closer to the pool but both are great. Be sure to email or call for current rates, phone number is on the website.

If you need more room Beautiful Bill has a two-story villa or suite, also a very nice unit in bldg A right next to the dive center. VRBO# 358600 for Bill’s 2-story unit, he posts on the St Thomas forum on Trip Advisor as Beautiful Bill if you want to PM him directly on TA.

Sapphire is a gorgeous beach, and staying oceanfront gives you not only the nice breezes, but the waves at night are very soothing! And a 3 minute taxi or drive into Red Hook for great restaurants (Island Time pizza) and bars (Duffy’s Love Shack!).

[EDIT] And nothing against Point Pleasant, Elysian Beach (Cowpet Bay), or even the Secret Harbor Resort and other properties in Secret Harbor, we just love the SBR&M on Sapphire Beach for the beautiful beach, water colors, and island views, along with the atmosphere and closest proximity to Red Hook.
8 422 Read More
British Virgin Islands
09/23/2018 10:42 AM
Thanks Mike,
Yes I must have missed your earlier posts. I will add your comments to my to do list!
David
2 280 Read More
British Virgin Islands
09/23/2018 10:33 AM
Thanks for the report. We are BVI bound in Feb.
8 1,656 Read More