d_fish said:
We just returned from BVIs 3 days ago and had a fabulous time. Trip Observation Report forthcoming.

In the meantime, I remember a recent thread on credit card fraud on cards used while vacationing in the BVIs.

Today I noticed fraudulent activity on one of the cards we used while vacationing. We only used this particular card approximately 3 times (AMEX and not readily accepted).

In any event for those whom encountered credit card fraud, what type of fraud and what did you do to resolve?

The fraud that happened to us is a new card was requested to be fedex-ed overnight as our card had been "lost". Fortunately I was alerted by email that our new card request had been processed and the card was on its way.

I called the credit card company immediately to report we did not report a lost card nor did we request a new card.

In order to request a new card (and convince the credit card company they were the owner of the card) the perpetrator would have to have personal information such as an address and DOB. This information was provided to one or possibly 2 vendors on this trip.

Has anyone else experienced this type of fraud?

Are you sure the emails came from AMEX? I ask because we have received some amazingly real looking emails from AMEX that were actually fishing (am I using the right term?). Rough guess is we received 5-6 over the past three months. (I forward them all to Amex's fraud department)

One was asking me to approve a request for an additional card for "Joe", who is an employee of our company. Whoever did this was clever enough to obtain his name.

Our card numbers were stolen twice. Both times Amex caught it immediately and the only inconvenience to us was signing the new cards. And once I had to do a three-way call with AMEX and a police officer filing charges against someone using the stolen card. (a duplicate, not the actual original card.)