snmhanson said:
Thanks for the responses. Reason I posted is because we are brining three of my 15 year old sons friends down with us next summer. I never gave it much thought when we had entire families with us in the past, but being responsible for three other kids safety makes me think a bit more. As I said, I wouldn't so this unless I felt it was perfectly safe, but at the same time I do make sure I have car insurance when I don't expect I'll get in an accident and home owners insurance even though I don't expect my house to burn down. I think I'll check up on my umbrella policy and see what It covers.

Matt

I would check with your charter company as well and perhaps even have them send you their policy declaration if you feel unsure. It should indicate that you become a co-insured on the policy. Let's think about that for a second in context to the worrisome postings on this thread.... you become a co-insured under the same policy as the charter base operator. They feel comfortable operating a business year around year after year given this policy. Seems like you should be ok with the same risks that the charter base is willing to accept. If you are not a co-insured on the policy you should probably look for a different company to charter from IMHO.

Life's short - sail more!